more students than soldiers killed in 2018

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.stripes.com/news/us/thi...an-students-than-us-military-members-1.528035

This year has been deadlier for American students than US military members

The frontlines of American warfare are now in America's classrooms.

More people have been murdered in schools so far this year than have been killed while serving in the U.S. military, according to statistics.

Accounting for the 10 people shot to death at a Houston-area high school Friday, 31 people – an overwhelming majority of whom were students – have been killed at schools since Jan. 1, according to data compiled by The Washington Post. Twenty-nine U.S. service members have been killed in the same time period, including both combat and noncombat deaths, according to the Pentagon.

Previous years, the numbers have typically been inverted, with service member casualties outnumbering student deaths by at least double, statistics show.

The number of individual school shootings is also much higher this year, with 16 deadly incidents across the country so far. Last year, there had been four fatal school shootings during the same period.
related articles

This year's harrowingly high student death toll is primarily due to Friday's shooting at Santa Fe High School and the Feb. 14 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., which left 17 people dead.

Shannon Watts, the founder of gun control advocacy group Moms Demand, blamed the National Rifle Association for the uptick.

"Our children should not be on the front lines of this political battle," Watts told the New York Daily News. "We are allowing our children to be collateral damage because gun lobbyists are writing our laws."

The NRA, which funnels millions of dollars into the political process annually, has consistently opposed all gun control efforts brought before Congress this year.

Watts' organization, which endorses congressional candidates, said the only way to turn the tide is to vote out NRA-backed Republicans who block legislation she says could save lives.

"We need lawmakers who actually believe laws can make a difference," Watts added.

The NRA did not return a request for comment.

Just some numbers to put things in perspective. The war inside America is killing more Americans than its external war. I remember reading once that if any third world nation had as many citizens killed each day as America does (comparison adjusted for population size) the UN would declare it to be in a civil war.

"Shannon Watts, the founder of gun control advocacy group Moms Demand, blamed the National Rifle Association for the uptick."

{<jordan}

"The NRA, which funnels millions of dollars into the political process annually, has consistently opposed all gun control efforts brought before Congress this year."

<TrumpWrong1>

You know how when someone makes an argument about the Ills of society only for someone else to diminish it by citing the same stats? That's annoying right?

50 million students, 30 dead, no epidemic.

I've heard this argument applied to illegal aliens, terrorism, etc.

Annoying right?

This is an acceptable amount of child brains splattered by bullets in schools. We shouldn't do anything about it, and we should also attack people who want to do something about it.

I'd be cool with treating Detroits, St. Louis, Baltimore, Philly, Chicago, etc where gang violence is really bad as civil wars.

You know how when someone makes an argument about the Ills of society only for someone else to diminish it by citing the same stats? That's annoying right?

Annoying right?

This forum's favorite topics: illegal immigrants, muslims, mass shootings, and pitbulls all seem to have the same arguments just split differently along partisan lines. Guns and muslims get that added layer because they are protected by the constitution.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to make a neural bot and sell it to Russia for that ... rubles?

This forum's favorite topics: illegal immigrants, muslims, mass shootings, and pitbulls all seem to have the same arguments just split differently along partisan lines. Guns and muslims get that added layer because they are protected by the constitution.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to make a neural bot and sell it to Russia for that ... rubles?

To be clear, I don't think it's a good argument. Yes, you're not likely to be killed at school, but that in itself does not negate that a problem exists.

Same applies to any argument. It ends up being a strawman where you attack the fact that there is not an epidemic.

This is an acceptable amount of child brains splattered by bullets in schools. We shouldn't do anything about it, and we should also attack people who want to do something about it.

I am no DNB. I support fewer doors in our school buildings. Action now!

Annoying right?

Maybe you could include gun deaths and mass shootings in your quest to understand an epidemic.

Maybe you could include gun deaths and mass shootings in your quest to understand an epidemic.

Read my last post. I'm not making the argument, just noting that it could be used here like it has in so many other threads.

The argument goes something like, op is a snowflake concerned with a problem that only affects a laughably small number of people. 30 in a country of 350m? Lol fear monger.

It was always a stupid argument.

The closest to a civil war would be urban gang violence, but I think a more apt analogy there analogy would be to the lawlessness of the American west in the 1870s-1890s. The US has an obvious problem with murder, and particularly murder with guns, but we aren't in a civil war. What you read about third world countries that have murder rates similar to the US being declared in a state of civil war is silly.

In 2013, there were 11K gun murders in the US. 13K in 2015. Those numbers are high.

If there was a device that would stop unwanted people from going through a door....
A well-regulated doorman, being necessary to the security of a building, the right of the people to lock doors shall not be unhinged.

The closest to a civil war would be urban gang violence, but I think a more apt analogy there analogy would be to the lawlessness of the American west in the 1870s-1890s. The US has an obvious problem with murder, and particularly murder with guns, but we aren't in a civil war. What you read about third world countries that have murder rates similar to the US being declared in a state of civil war is silly.

In 2013, there were 11K gun murders in the US. 13K in 2015. Those numbers are high.

I've read that violence in the wild west is an overblown myth. If you look at the numbers, there wasn't a lot of people getting murdered.

In modern America, there are 100 people killed every day with guns and a mass shooting every day. That's pretty significant when you start finding comparable situations around the world.

I am no DNB. I support fewer doors in our school buildings. Action now!

The only thing that stops a bad guy with too many doors, is a good guy with too many doors.

What we really need is knob control

If there was a device that would stop unwanted people from going through a door....

A well-regulated doorman, being necessary to the security of a building, the right of the people to lock doors shall not be unhinged.

LMFAO you guys are killing it in this thread

Thats it then. We have to get rid of schools. No Schools means no students. No students means no students can be shot.

<Moves> <Moves> <Moves>

<This7> <This7> <This7>

<GinJuice> <GinJuice> <GinJuice>

Of that number how many were actual random shootings and not gang or criminal related.

That's like the lie that was going around 22 school shootings before this.

How about we lock some doors and get some security at schools.

Now with this last one what new control does the anti 2nd want.

Back