Most Impressive Chin In Boxing

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Who do you think had the best chin in boxing, past or current, it doesn't matter the era?

I would have to nominate Muhammad Ali personally. Heaviest division, never been knocked out. Career spanned from 1960 to 1981 (minus his suspension).

Norton, Frazier, Liston, Foreman......goodness gracious that man could take a punch.

I remember watching clips of Frazier leaping into that left hook, bam!! Even when he knocked Ali down, he sprang back up. Watching the shots he took, so flush even, asking myself how is he still standing?

Who would you nominate as having the most impressive chin in boxing of any era?

Thoughts?

Amir Khan has the most consistent chin lmao.

I'd have to say Gabe Rosado has the best chin of the current fighters. If he wasn't such a bleeder he'd be one hell of a fighter.

I'd have to say Gabe Rosado has the best chin of the current fighters. If he wasn't such a bleeder he'd be one hell of a fighter.

I'm a big Rosado fan for his heart. GGG almost beat that man to death though, it at least looked that way by his face. lol

Hector Camacho withstood Chavez, Trinidad and De La Hoya, although the De La Hoya knockdown happened way after his prime

Today there so many but off the top of my head id say both GGG and Canelo, surprisingly neither were seriously hurt

Hector Camacho withstood Chavez, Trinidad and De La Hoya, although the De La Hoya knockdown happened way after his prime

Today there so many but off the top of my head id say both GGG and Canelo, surprisingly neither were seriously hurt

GGG and Canelo definitely showed resilience, both of them.

No way. Ángulo had fun with him

Mayweather. That Maidana overhand haymaker to Floyd’s face after the bell with a tooth flying out in slow motion. He leaped into Maidana’s fist. To put in perspective, Pacquiao leaped into Marquez’s haymaker as well. We all know what happened

No way. Ángulo had fun with him

That was Gabe Rosado's 27th fight in his life. Including his 11 amateur fights. You've got to put that in perspective, 16 pro fights after little to no amateur career. He learned how to box in the pros, where as most professionals have a strong amateur career of 100+ fights. You can write of Rosado's chin if you want but you have to remember there are levels to boxing and as he's matured as a fighter his chin has gotten better to the point GGG couldn't drop him (unfortunately his scar tissue hasn't).

Ali is a good pick. Chuvalo, Lamotta, Holmes and Hagler are also mentioned pretty often in such threads. I have a soft spot for Chuvalo. How he wasn't knocked down by quite a few shots he took is beyond understanding.

Today, both GGG and Canelo have the goods. They landed big on each other.

That was Gabe Rosado's 27th fight in his life. Including his 11 amateur fights. You've got to put that in perspective, 16 pro fights after little to no amateur career. He learned how to box in the pros, where as most professionals have a strong amateur career of 100+ fights. You can write of Rosado's chin if you want but you have to remember there are levels to boxing and as he's matured as a fighter his chin has gotten better to the point GGG couldn't drop him (unfortunately his scar tissue hasn't).

Rosado got trainwrecked by GGG's jabs of hell. Ironically they call this age ''Prime GGG'' yet it wasn't the Ishida type haymakers on Rosado. Rosado was always a big Middleweight. It's like the equivalent of Munguia or Hurd at 154 or the bigger Jermall once at 154. So that resiliance factor with weight helped him. But I do agree with you, in theory Rosado should've folded sooner with GGG, but I guess GGG was going easy on him by design for HBO advisory. That was the fight that catapulted GGG's career on HBO. The Proksa debut was nothing special for the casual entertainment. HBO wanted blood

Too many to pick just one

Lamotta
Chuvalo
Ali
Marciano
Foreman
Holyfield
V. Klitschko
Marvin Hagler
Monzon
SRR
Wayne McCullough
Margarito
James Toney
Chris Eubanks Sr
Steve Collins
Duran (ignore Hearns)
Oscar De La Hoya

Just to name a few! I have left out plenty, but even trying to pick out a winner there is tough.

Rocky Marciano is head and shoulders above all the others in this component. Given the gloves/padding quality and the overall boxing technique those day (to me it was more like a rumble) multiplied by numerous rounds...I doubt many modern champions would survive it. As for the modern boxers, I would definitely mention Arturo Gatti. Even though his eyebrows and the overall performance dragged him down, his chin still was one piece of granite. However it's also important to take the weight class into account methinks, so I would place Holyfield on the second place after Marciano, placing Gatti third.

The ones that immediately sprung to mind are holyfield, haglar, vitali, Eubanks (both of them as I know 1 of jnrs sparring partners who is a heavy handed LHW and can’t hurt him), and froch

Rosado got trainwrecked by GGG's jabs of hell. Ironically they call this age ''Prime GGG'' yet it wasn't the Ishida type haymakers on Rosado. Rosado was always a big Middleweight. It's like the equivalent of Munguia or Hurd at 154 or the bigger Jermall once at 154. So that resiliance factor with weight helped him. But I do agree with you, in theory Rosado should've folded sooner with GGG, but I guess GGG was going easy on him by design for HBO advisory. That was the fight that catapulted GGG's career on HBO. The Proksa debut was nothing special for the casual entertainment. HBO wanted blood

Tbf Mathew maklin said golovkins jab was like taking a straight right off of most other mws. He doesn’t speak about that fight with much fondness!

Back