Most painful Shogun loss

Sonnen. Getting finished by him was painful to see

He said saddest, not funniest.
It was the saddest for sure.
the whole arena was cheering for Rua... within seconds it was all over... every-fucking-body was already standing cheering, then we just left the arena in complete silence.
Didn't wait for the announcement, the referee raising Sonnen's hand... not even the post fight Sonnen interview... we all just collectively wanted to get out.

Jones.

Was so positive this late replacement for Rashad would get worked ez.

Musta been jones because thats what started and likely still fuels the massive hatred towards him.

<JonesDXSuckIt>
i think that may have more to do with his criminal record and his documented cheating.

The Smith loss is the worst IMO because of the speed, thoroughness, and overall totality of the ass-kicking. I've also never seen Shogun look that bad walking out before. :(

Getting subbed by Chael of all people. Easily too. The Smith loss is more easily accepted just because Shogun is old now. To me that was just a younger guy dusting the older, more battle-worn guy. It was going to happen eventually.

Musta been jones because thats what started and likely still fuels the massive hatred towards him.

<JonesDXSuckIt>
You think him beating Shogun is why people don't like him? I got over it, its the fight game. Im guessing hitting a pregnant chick, and failing multiple drug tests, and just being a crappy person might have something to do with it. Imo.

OSP.

Shogun had never really been a fighter that had gotten bounced out quickly and to see it happen was rough.

The Forrest one was frustrating cuz i knew Shogun was better. The Jones one was tough cuz it lasted so long and was so one sided. The OSP one because it was over so quick and Shogun just looked out of place and awkward. The Sonnen one was hard because like another poster, i saw it live. I had to just sit down and gather my thoughts after that. That was a long drive home.

It was the saddest for sure.
the whole arena was cheering for Rua... within seconds it was all over... every-fucking-body was already standing cheering, then we just left the arena in complete silence.
Didn't wait for the announcement, the referee raising Sonnen's hand... not even the post fight Sonnen interview... we all just collectively wanted to get out.

I honestly expected Shogun to pop his head out of the guillotine and GNP Sonnen to death...

Shogun's my all time favorite fighter, every loss he suffers fucks me up for about a week after and unfortunately there are too many to pick just one haha.

I will say that the only losses he had that weren't devastating to me were his decision losses. The Machida loss (or "loss" if you prefer) and the first Hendo loss were more angering because I thought he beat Machida and I didn't see how not one judge gave Shogun a 10-8 fifth against Hendo to score a rightful draw. The Gustafsson loss was probably the one I was the most okay with because I he performed better than I expected him to. The Sonnen loss was pretty painful because he got subbed by Chael freakin' Sonnen and the second Hendo loss hurt because he was doing so well up until the finish and kinda seemed to let Hendo off the hook in the first. Can't choose one though, they all broke me a little inside haha.

OSP.... he was just sooooo sloppy.

I honestly expected Shogun to pop his head out of the guillotine and GNP Sonnen to death...
we all did.
It was so... surreal.... Sonnen, the guy who always lost via guillotine choke winning via it...against a BB in BJJ (who started to train BJJ at the tender age of 6 years old)....

So anticlimactic to an night who had amazing matches and had everyone on their feet like that...

What's funny is that people actually picked Shogun to win against Lord Chael.

<21>

Chael for me, that was absolutely horrendous and showed just how far he had slipped from his prime. Sonnen was a guy he would have been stomping into the canvas in under 2 minutes during his Pride run.

For those mentioning Smith I purposely avoided watching that fight. I had it DVRed and looked at the results before subjecting myself to watching it. It was immediately deleted after I saw the outcome.

Last edited:
Has to be Jones outclassing him (after chasing a robber) and Shogun couldn't do anything except tap to strikes.

Back