most successful boxers with the ugliest styles

reveler

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
old news but i spent much of the weekend watching old Froch fights and WOW it doesn't get much uglier than this. slow as molasses, left hand down, head straight up, flings his right hand out on every jab, stumbles forward, cant throw a tight hook to save his life, most of his inside work is just holding and hitting while the ref looks on.

if this guy didnt have a chin, hed be a nobody in the boxing world.

12 rounds of this horseshit, but eventually the right hands gets through so its all fine. his success proves that you can get pretty far on toughness alone.

1345215883NOTTINGHAM-FROCH-BUTE25.jpg

Wilder

Hamed

And even RJJ.

All three of these fighters fight in a very unorthodox manner. .

Wilder sometimes resembles a baby giraffe

My first thought was Mayorga

I meant ugly as in not aesthetically pleasing, then I would say Hatton. Nowadays, Porter.

Carlos Maussa won an alphabet belt & took part in a unification, he had an awful style & was probably far less talented than other dudes already mentioned with styles nearly as ugly (Froch had a jab & heavy hands, Mayorga was strong & unpredictable inside, Hamed was a bomber & awkward to get to grips with... they all had other talents, whereas Maussa was just tough & ugly).

Been an Aussie ive watched jeff horns last like 6-8 fights and i keep waiting for him to lose. Ugly, mauling style. Has those arm punches and never seem to extend fully on his straight punches. Thought someone with a crisp jab/cross and some lateral movement would have flattened him by now.

Fritzie Zivic, Ricardo Mayorga, Carlos Molina

Jimmy smith, if you haven’t seen him fight look him up. His style is... unique. He allegedly beat 3 people in the amateurs and I think Vince McMahon probably booked his pro debut.

there was a junior middleweight champion (I think lineal) who apparenlty only ever threw 1-2s. As in he never once threw a hook or an uppercut. Ever. Forget his name and I'm a little skeptical that it goes that far, but still...

Bhop has an ugly style, very good technical fighter, but not exactly what you'd call pretty.

Came here to so Molina as well. Carlos Molina is one of the worst. I second the hell out of that.

The funny thing is that I got to see him in a ring a few weeks ago. He lost a JD, which was appropriate.

john ruiz,naseem hamed,anyone using the Ingle/Graham style.

Wilder

Hamed

And even RJJ.

All three of these fighters fight in a very unorthodox manner. .

Wilder sometimes resembles a baby giraffe

Those are pretty unique styles but I wouldn't call any of them ugly.

I would think ugly would be more fitting for guys like Shawn Porter, Sakio Bika and K9 Bundrage. Those guys looked like shit when they fought and made their opponents look awful too but they all achieved an unexpected level of success.

Those are pretty unique styles but I wouldn't call any of them ugly.

I would think ugly would be more fitting for guys like Shawn Porter, Sakio Bika and K9 Bundrage. Those guys looked like shit when they fought and made their opponents look awful too but they all achieved an unexpected level of success.
Clottey and abraham weren’t crowd pleasing, but witter could’ve made Gatti look boring.

Back