most successful boxers with the ugliest styles

Except for when he was, ignore my fucking stupid post beat gazo lost to kalule

Kudo vs Gazo must have been a real treat for those in attendance I'm thinking.

Kudo vs Gazo must have been a real treat for those in attendance I'm thinking.
So good YouTube doesn’t have it and all the streaming sites I use don’t either, probably like Vasquez Marquez I reckon

Kudos punches were straight, but he shifted his weight well and threw from different angles. Reminds me of Lamottas (I think it was Jake) “power jab” vs. regular jab.

He definitely twisted through some of those punches more than he sent them straight. But it’s pretty nitpicky- his punches were all slight variations of the basic 1-2.

Hamed to an extent.

Wilder

Hamed

And even RJJ.

All three of these fighters fight in a very unorthodox manner. .

Wilder sometimes resembles a baby giraffe

john ruiz,naseem hamed,anyone using the Ingle/Graham style.
I can't believe how many people are saying Naseem Hamed. His style was definitely unorthodox and sometimes not technically sound, but I think it is fun to watch and looks good. Maybe we're just defining 'ugly' differently?

Same for Roy Jones Jr. I don't see anything ugly about the way he fought when he was still performing at or near his best.

I can't believe how many people are saying Naseem Hamed. His style was definitely unorthodox and sometimes not technically sound, but I think it is fun to watch and looks good. Maybe we're just defining 'ugly' differently?

Same for Roy Jones Jr. I don't see anything ugly about the way he fought when he was still performing at or near his best.
with naseem and herol graham, it could be because they do so much different from what we're accustomed to seeing, it's frustrating, they'll come in range then jump right out of range when you expect action. I don't think it's a good style though and I doubt it'll stand the test of time.

roy doesn't look that bad but he doesn't look as good as a lot of fighters, especially stylists of whom he could be said to be one. His footwork didn't look all that great, his body mechanics didn't but they were effective. I wouldn't say it was ugly though but definitely not like watching someone like leonard, ali or robinson.

It’s not top form and fun as hell, I’m not teaching you anything saying the Kelley fight. But Barrera showed it doesn’t work against a+ fighters.

Yea , I would definitely not consider RJJ and hamed to fight in ugly forms..i loved their styles

Those are pretty unique styles but I wouldn't call any of them ugly.

I would think ugly would be more fitting for guys like Shawn Porter, Sakio Bika and K9 Bundrage. Those guys looked like shit when they fought and made their opponents look awful too but they all achieved an unexpected level of success.

Yea, ugly is a poor choice of words..

Tyson fury is a good pick...

Ugly doesn’t mean not effective, he made it work and it was great to see, but I thought the question was asking more orthodox, he was fucking exciting

There was this French superbantamweight called Fabrice Benichou, back in the late 80s and early 90s. He rushed face first and couldn't throw a proper straight shot to save his life. The guy held the European title, a world title belt and beat a few guys who were way more talented than him. A truly likeable guy who became an artist and a life coach, always on the verge of blowing his brains out. He ate way too many shots like they were gummy bears.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/3260

Last edited:
There was this French superbantamweight called Fabrice Benichou, back in the late 80s and early 90s. He rushed faced first and couldn't throw a proper straight shot to save his life. The guy held the European title, a world title belt and beat a few guys who were way more talented than him. A truly likeable guy who became an artist and a life coach, always on the verge of blowing his brains out. He ate way too many shots like they were gummy bears.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/3260

Benichou was a decent fighter, saw him go to war with Paul Hodkinson for the WBC title & beat a guy from Sunderland/Newcastle way twice in very, very hard fights for the European title (Jon Davidson) in what were quite well-known fights over here at the time.

Did have an ugly, ugly style, though. Kinda reminded me of a less-talented Jorge Paez (that looping, hunched-over squared-up thing) without the crazy hair/shorts/showboating of Paez... Both came from a circus background iirc?

Benichou was a decent fighter, saw him go to war with Paul Hodkinson for the WBC title & beat a guy from Sunderland/Newcastle way twice in very, very hard fights for the European title (Jon Davidson) in what were quite well-known fights over here at the time.

Did have an ugly, ugly style, though. Kinda reminded me of a less-talented Jorge Paez (that looping, hunched-over squared-up thing) without the crazy hair/shorts/showboating of Paez... Both came from a circus background iirc?

Man, he was the embodiment of 'going to war' in a ring. I'm glad he's remembered outside of France. The Hodkinson and Davison fights were pretty fuckin' intense. He also gave Manuel Medina a tough fight. He was a defensive minded Mexican who fought tons of big names back in the days, I guess you remember him. He did OK against Naz before getting KOed.

I have a soft spot for Benichou. Ugly as fuck, a funny voice, not many boxing skills, not even much pop. All he had was his chin and his will to give them hell. These guys are awesome.

Last edited:
Man, he was the embodiment of 'going to war' in a ring. I'm glad he's remembered outside of France. The Hodkinson and Davison fights were pretty fuckin' intense. He also gave Manuel Medina a tough fight. He was a defensive minded Mexican who fought tons of big names back in the days, I guess you remember him. He did OK against Naz before getting KOed.

I have a soft spot for Benichou. Ugly as fuck, a funny voice, not many boxing skills, not even much pop. All he had was his chin and his will to give them hell. These guys are awesome.

Don't make me engage in Manuel Medina Man-love. It's too early in the year to make me feel so fuckin' old (& also so alliterative).

Having said that, torn between most magic Mantecas Medina moment (UGH CAN'T STOP NOW): coming in as a patsy & taking the WBC title off of Cobrita Gonzalez after Gonzalez had ruined Kevin Kelley, or coming in as a patsy (like, ten years later) & making Scott Harrison look like the one-dimensional clueless motherfucker he was all along.

Oh man, Manuel Fuckin' Medina. See, this is what happens & you have multiple titles in boxing. When you hit a dozen losses & have a fan-friendly style where you're easy to hit; if you keep yourself in insane condition (he was a featherweight for like, twenty fucking years) you'll get so many chances from so many paper champs that the law of averages says you'll eventually beat like three in ten of them, & go down in history as something stupid like a five-time champion.

(Also, on a kinda unrelated note, why I laugh when a fan of someone like Floyd goes on about his belt collection: "Oh, so your hero won like three more titles than Manuel Medina? & four more than Leo Gamez? Well done! That's very impressive...")

Don't make me engage in Manuel Medina Man-love. It's too early in the year to make me feel so fuckin' old (& also so alliterative).

Having said that, torn between most magic Mantecas Medina moment (UGH CAN'T STOP NOW): coming in as a patsy & taking the WBC title off of Cobrita Gonzalez after Gonzalez had ruined Kevin Kelley, or coming in as a patsy (like, ten years later) & making Scott Harrison look like the one-dimensional clueless motherfucker he was all along.

Oh man, Manuel Fuckin' Medina. See, this is what happens & you have multiple titles in boxing. When you hit a dozen losses & have a fan-friendly style where you're easy to hit; if you keep yourself in insane condition (he was a featherweight for like, twenty fucking years) you'll get so many chances from so many paper champs that the law of averages says you'll eventually beat like three in ten of them, & go down in history as something stupid like a five-time champion.

(Also, on a kinda unrelated note, why I laugh when a fan of someone like Floyd goes on about his belt collection: "Oh, so your hero won like three more titles than Manuel Medina? & four more than Leo Gamez? Well done! That's very impressive...")

Hell, I do hope Medina kept enough for himself to live the good life. With no excessive brain damage. He earned it. The guy is all about "you win some, you lose some". As you said you cannot question his work ethics. He just had his share of good and bad nights. You may wonder hiw far the guy would have gone if he had had a little more punching power. And you're right : he danced around a little more than your usual Mexican iron head, but he could certainely get hit plenty. Low left hands are a curse.

Both Medina and Benichou are this kind of guys I'd be glad to get a few beers.

*He also had his share of home cooked decision losses, I guess.

Back