most successful boxers with the ugliest styles

Ok I am not talking about effectiveness here, just what these boxers' styles look like:

I think Wilder's "style" is not pretty to the eye. He looks like a talented banger who needs some boxing lessons

Marvelous Marvin Hagler (despite being bad ass) had a style that seemed a bit sluggish sometimes.

GGG has such natural gifts (the granite chin) that his boxing doesnt seem so refined at times.

Mayweather's arm punches.

No disrespect to any of the above.

Big George Foreman always looked awkward to me, but the guy hit so damn hard that it changed the way his opponents had to fight him. He had that half-ass lazy looking one two down the pipe that would actually rock people.

More poker sob stories, hits a flush, other guy has straight flush, next hand triple 7s, homeboy has a full house. Next hand jack high flush, guy has quads, fuck this shit.

More poker sob stories, hits a flush, other guy has straight flush, next hand triple 7s, homeboy has a full house. Next hand jack high flush, guy has quads, fuck this shit.

Ouch. That's rough, Sun.

Seriously, I have epilepsy so I’m not making a macabre joke, but he looks like he is in early stages of a fucking seizure. Who was training that guy and thought, yeah, he’s ready. Jimmy should’ve been encouraged to train and work out at the gym if he wants, but full 100% contact is like putting a strawweight in with shavers.

shit, i know its a bit of a derail, but i had to check on this guy and holy fucking shit

Ugly doesn’t mean not effective, he made it work and it was great to see, but I thought the question was asking more orthodox, he was fucking exciting
I would have defined 'ugly' as unpleasant to watch or looking like they aren't good at boxing. I wouldn't describe Hamed that way.

I agree. He was very exciting.

Not the most successful one, but Huck, if you think that Froch is rather crude watch some of his fights (mainly the earlier fights), tons of heart and a chin, but he fights like a caveman.

Not the most successful one, but Huck, if you think that Froch is rather crude watch some of his fights (mainly the earlier fights), tons of heart and a chin, but he fights like a caveman.
Huck was a great fighter to watch and was pretty succesful, but the dude was basically a super athletic/fast brawler with a decent guard, good power, good stamina and a good chin.

Huck was a great fighter to watch and was pretty succesful, but the dude was basically a super athletic/fast brawler with a decent guard, good power, good stamina and a good chin.
Yes, don't get me wrong, he was always great to watch and he accomplished a lot and was willing to fight pretty much everyone (remember the Povetkin fight?), but he was just that, a great brawler.

prince hamed end of thread lol

for sure the travelling gypsy Tyson Fury

starts running

john ruiz,naseem hamed,anyone using the Ingle/Graham style.

Except Kell Brook.
He looks all right.

Surprised nobody mentioned Iran Barkley. Fker could crack though.
Kevin Kelley too.

Fullmer didn't have a pretty style. Pretty similar to Porter, actually, it's just he didn't smother his work like Porter does on the inside.

Harry Greb. They didn't call him the Pittsburgh Windmill for nothing.

Kevin Kelley too.

I always get confused: d'you mean Kevin Kelly, the limited Aussie who lost to David Reid (http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/6612 ) or Kevin Kelley, the well-schooled two-time Golden Gloves champ from New York who went on to hold the world featherweight title & was regarded (for an admittedly short time) as the best in the world (http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/1362)?

'Cos if it's the former, I agree competely, he was a caveman (though I'm surprised & impressed you remembered him!). If it's the latter... I... I have to ask if you are joking? He squared up too much & loved a tear-up far too much but ugly...?

Froch is the man.

(Biased cause I've met the man and he was kind enough to sign his book for me haha)

Surprised nobody mentioned Iran Barkley. Fker could crack though.

Kevin Kelley too.
I always get confused: d'you mean Kevin Kelly, the limited Aussie who lost to David Reid (http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/6612 ) or Kevin Kelley, the well-schooled two-time Golden Gloves champ from New York who went on to hold the world featherweight title & was regarded (for an admittedly short time) as the best in the world (http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/1362)?

'Cos if it's the former, I agree competely, he was a caveman (though I'm surprised & impressed you remembered him!). If it's the latter... I... I have to ask if you are joking? He squared up too much & loved a tear-up far too much but ugly...?

Yes, I meant Kevin Kelley.

Golden Gloves and all that was fine but he had an ugly brawling style. Sure was effective though.
And lol at "best fighter in the world".
Kelley was alright and had a piece of the title but he was never da best.
Lost a lot of big fights but his heart n punch kept him in.

Yes, I meant Kevin Kelley.

Golden Gloves and all that was fine but he had an ugly brawling style. Sure was effective though.
And lol at "best fighter in the world".
Kelley was alright and had a piece of the title but he was never da best.
Lost a lot of big fights but his heart n punch kept him in.

He was ranked #1 by The Ring at featherweight in 1993, after he'd beaten Goyo Vargas to become WBC champ (I knew this 'cos I read them, but if you don't believe me, go look it up); British boxing magazines talked of him as some kind of coming crossover star of the lower divisions at the time. KO magazine had him ranked #1 at the weight at the time, too.

I don't know who else existed back then to rank him. HBO threw a shitload of money at him even before he won a title, so I'm assuming they thought he had something. Who did you rank higher before the massive upset vs Cobrita? Yung Kyun-Park? Francisco Segura?

He was a guy who could box or brawl, had good fundamentals, a good counter-puncher, had a decent jab & threw fast combinations. He didn't fight with his head in the air or get his feet crossed over or fall over after punching or lunge wildly or swing his shots.

I don't know about your definition of the word "ugly" in a boxing context, but that normally means "Has an unattractive style". What about his style was unattractive? Yes, he was far too aggressive (particularly for a dude who had his questionable chin), but ugly?!?

All the other guys people have been talking about have been cavemen or people who fought like giant ungainly kickboxers (cough Vitali cough). What about Kelley's style compares to Mayorga or Carl "Miss with a left hook & spin myself in a circle" Froch when it comes to ugliness? Which fundamental did a young Kelley (& I'm specifically saying "young" here 'cos let's face it, it's amazing he can still talk he fought so long & so many hard fights) lack?

Back