Motorsports thread. Discuss any motorsports here

Kyle got wrecked, then beat up, and now he's being made out as the bad guy. He's had a tough week.

It got worse with the race yesterday. Kyle had a big lead with under 10 laps to go when his buddy Logano blew his right front tire and crashed hard into the wall. It brought out one of those cautions where the leader id damned if he stops and damned if he doesn't. If he doesn't pit, the others likely will and pass him with fresh tires. If he does, some cars, if not all of them, will stay out making more cars to pass to get back to the lead.

Kyle pitted, 3 cars didn't including Ryan Newman who inherited the lead. Kyle ended up starting behind a couple of cars in the bottom lane on the restart with 2 laps to go. They didn't get going but Ryan Newman in the outside lane got a good start and a good lead to take the win. If Kyle had been in the outside lane he might have had a chance but he was second out of the pit so he started 5th instead of fourth directly behind Newman.

Childress racing gets it's first win since Kevin Harvick left.

It got worse with the race yesterday. Kyle had a big lead with under 10 laps to go when his buddy Logano blew his right front tire and crashed hard into the wall. It brought out one of those cautions where the leader id damned if he stops and damned if he doesn't. If he doesn't pit, the others likely will and pass him with fresh tires. If he does, some cars, if not all of them, will stay out making more cars to pass to get back to the lead.

Kyle pitted, 3 cars didn't including Ryan Newman who inherited the lead. Kyle ended up starting behind a couple of cars in the bottom lane on the restart with 2 laps to go. They didn't get going but Ryan Newman in the outside lane got a good start and a good lead to take the win. If Kyle had been in the outside lane he might have had a chance but he was second out of the pit so he started 5th instead of fourth directly behind Newman.

Childress racing gets it's first win since Kevin Harvick left.

The intricacies of cautions is certainly a part of racing I understand poorly. I went to the Brickyard 400 a few times. It was loud and fun, and I got very drunk and just yelled dumb shit everytime cars passed by. Such experiences have made me sort of a casual fan, but I have no idea about the details.

The intricacies of cautions is certainly a part of racing I understand poorly. I went to the Brickyard 400 a few times. It was loud and fun, and I got very drunk and just yelled dumb shit everytime cars passed by. Such experiences have made me sort of a casual fan, but I have no idea about the details.

On the shorter tracks, they need to put the field under full course caution to be able to get disabled cars and/or debris off the track. This allows cars
further back to catch up with those leading the race. NASCAR also allows the first car one lap down to pass the leader and get a lap back while starting at the back of the field.

On most tracks, the time it takes for a car to stop in the pit is longer than the time it takes to go a lap around the track at speed. Under caution, the cars on track are running much slower so they don't lose a lap. They also get to catch up with the cars who didn't stop. If new tires allow the cars who stopped to go faster than those who didn't, the cars that took tires might be able to overcome the lead the cars that stayed out have. It depends on how many laps are left and how much traffic there is.

Keselowski and Harvicks teams were penalized after the Phoenix race.

Keselowski's car failed the rear wheel steer test. Keselowski appeared on Race Hub and claimed they were the same parts they have run in every race and passed inspection at those tracks including their win at Atlanta. He probably shouldn't have said that because they might have been cheating at every race.

Harvicks car was said to have an unapproved track bar mount. The car was taken to NASCARs R&D center along with the 42 and 31 for routine inspection but it hasn't been made clear if the mount was found there. The team has appealed so Rodney Childers will be at the track this week.

With Jayski gone it's difficult to get information.

mercedes looking to pick up right where they left off last year.
good to see some talented, young drivers out there also.

mercedes looking to pick up right where they left off last year.
good to see some talented, young drivers out there also.

This new package makes it harder on the driver because they pull more Gs in the turns. It will be interesting if it contributes to attrition on the cars as the suspension is stressed further.

NASCAR Cup cars are having problems getting through inspection. Only 4 made it through on the first try. After practice they had to go through again before qualifying and there were 14 cars still in line for inspection when qualifying started.

Jimmy Johnson spun in practice and they decided not to run in qualifying. It could save him a set of tires.

oh I'm sure the engineers and aero dynamicists are all over that

Somebody didn't;

Intriguingly, Haas removed the T-wing element from the top of its shark fin for FP2, after television footage picked up extreme flexing through the opening practice session.

Logano didn't make it through tech in time to qualify.

Ryan Newman was talking about how hot it was in the car last week. They had heat sensors on the floor that indicated 320 degrees.

New F1 cars are sick. Looking like they're going to be breaking lots of track records this season. Ferrari and Red Bull look closer to Mercedes to start the season, but who knows where it goes from here. With less restrictions on aerodynamics, I expect Adrian Newey and Red Bull to give Mercedes a run for their money.

These new tires are cartoonish. I mean, I love the extra grip and performance, but they look comically over-sized. Aussie GP qualifying starts live in 30 minutes.

Hamilton with the pole at a track record with Vettel .268 behind with Bottas .293 in behind Hamilton in third and Raikonnen .848 behind in 4th. The rest of the field over a second slower with the majority over 2 seconds slower. It appears to be a 4 car race unless the pace leads to mistakes or breakdowns.

I've been able to gather a little more information on the penalty to the 4 car at Phoenix. All cars passed post race tech inspection except the 2. NASCAR selects 3 cars, usually one of each make, to take to it's R&D center for closer inspection. The 4 car was the Ford chosen. It was at the R&D center where something in the track bar system was found to be unapproved. It might be within the rules but something the team didn't check with NASCAR to get approval. It could be something as simple as using a fastener not approved by NASCAR.

Hamilton with the pole at a track record with Vettel .268 behind with Bottas .293 in behind Hamilton in third and Raikonnen .848 behind in 4th. The rest of the field over a second slower with the majority over 2 seconds slower. It appears to be a 4 car race unless the pace leads to mistakes or breakdowns.

My recording ended early. Were those times the laps those 3 did before the Riccardo crash or did it start back up?

it restarted with about 4 minutes left in the session.
nice that vettel got in there in 2nd spot on the grid next to hammy.
look for a wild start.

it restarted with about 4 minutes left in the session.
nice that vettel got in there in 2nd spot on the grid next to hammy.
look for a wild start.

Especially with the wide cars. The first turn should be very interesting. Cars were having trouble staying on track without traffic.

Back