Motorsports thread. Discuss any motorsports here

Rain at the start in Singapore but they decided not to start under a safety car. Raikkonen tried to make it 3 wide on the start. Vettel forced Verstappen into Raikkonen who then crossed up in front of Verstappen and crashed into the side pod of Vettel. Vettel continued in the lead but crashed shortly afterward leaving Hamilton in the lead. Alonso was also damaged in the crash and retired on lap 9.

Rain at the start in Singapore but they decided not to start under a safety car. Raikkonen tried to make it 3 wide on the start. Vettel forced Verstappen into Raikkonen who then crossed up in front of Verstappen and crashed into the side pod of Vettel. Vettel continued in the lead but crashed shortly afterward leaving Hamilton in the lead. Alonso was also damaged in the crash and retired on lap 9.

That start was horrible, I've never been so demoralised. That ruined what would've been a great race.

As far as I am concerned, the WDC is over.

That start was horrible, I've never been so demoralised. That ruined what would've been a great race.

As far as I am concerned, the WDC is over.

Some really stupid moves by the Ferrari drivers on the wet track. You can't win the race on the first lap but you can lose it. Raikkonen has to know that 3 wide is asking for trouble on a dry track and Vettel trying to cut Verstappen off just finished it off. I thought they should have started behind the safety car but the rest of the field kept their composure and raced in the wet conditions.

Truex the first to advance into round 2 of the playoffs with a win in Chicago.

Lmao.

Before I turned it on I was thinking AMG had no shot, a podium was unlikely. Turn it on and it was raining.
<mma4>
Makes things more interesting.

Start of the race...

<{Joewithit}>

610152-ferrari-afp.jpg

{<jordan}

I think Kimi probably would have safely got around Max but Vettle fucked them all. Poor Alonso.

Based on qualifying I was surprised Ricciardo didn't have more pace. Hamilton easily pulled away every restart.

Lmao.

Before I turned it on I was thinking AMG had no shot, a podium was unlikely. Turn it on and it was raining.
<mma4>

Start of the race...

<{Joewithit}>

610152-ferrari-afp.jpg

{<jordan}

I think Kimi probably would have safely got around Max but Vettle fucked them all. Poor Alonso.

Based on qualifying I was surprised Ricciardo didn't have more pace. Hamilton easily pulled away every restart.

All three were probably going too fast to make the corner. No way they could make it three wide under dry conditions at that track never mind that it was wet. There is a 60 degree turn with limited runoff area and only walls to hit.

As Verstappen said, the rear track is wider than the front so there was no way he could slow without hitting the Ferrari's rear tires with his front. Raikkonen probably shouldn't have made it three wide but I was expecting problems with two wide. So were Hamilton and Bottas and most of the rest of the field. Alonso got the big jump because everybody was holding back. Vettel moving left just sealed their fate. I suspect the stewards didn't assess any blame because all involved created their own penalties.

Lmao.

<mma4>

Start of the race...

<{Joewithit}>

610152-ferrari-afp.jpg

{<jordan}

Red Bull reported that Ricciardo's car had oil leaking from it's gearbox which was the reason for the slower pace. Ricciardo denied that he held back because of that.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/358559/red-bull-feared-ricciardo-gearbox-exit/

Penske cars take 4 of the top 5 positions in the 2017 championship. Only Scott Dixon managed to break up the party taking 3rd.

Josef Newgarden is the season champion.

NBC made a big deal out of NASCAR checking wheels and tires for air leaks. It has been done in the past. A very small hole allows air to leak out as the tire gets hot and the pressures build up. There are methods to do this that won't leak until the wheel spins at high rpm. I wonder if they have a high speed balancer to put them on first. There are also ways to plug the hole until the temperature gets higher.

The race winner often spins his tires until they burn through. I often wonder if it's done to hide something. They might be putting a hole in the tires.

Josef Newgarden says he'd like to try NASCAR. I wonder if Penske will put him in a car this season.

Junior had some things to say about the tire shredding burnouts by winners saying it could be used to hide modifications to the car. It destroys the sheet metal around the rear wheels and allows the team to change tires before post race technical inspection. He speculates that could give them an opportunity to change something prior to inspection.

http://autoweek.com/article/nascar/...burnouts-says-they-hide-illegal-modifications

Kvyat out of the Toro Rosso in favor of Pierre Gasly for the next 2 races. Apparently his fathers position with a Russian oil company wasn't able to provide enough money to keep his seat in light of his performance this season. Gasly won't be in the car at Texas because Gasly has a Formula Super race in Japan that weekend where he has a chance to win a championship. No word yet on what happens after Texas. Maybe Toro Rosso wants Kvyat to settle down or just wants to see what a different driver does with the car.

I don't know if Gasly brings any money into the equation as most drivers do.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/358853/gasly-to-make-formula-1-debut-in-malaysia/

Vettel sets the fastest lap in the third practice session but experiences engine problems near the end of the session. Ferarri got the powerplant changed but experienced a problem on the outlap in qualifying and had to pit with no time in the first round of qualifying while Hamilton, who was fifth in practice, posted the fastest time in the first qualifying session.

Vettel sets the fastest lap in the third practice session but experiences engine problems near the end of the session. Ferarri got the powerplant changed but experienced a problem on the outlap in qualifying and had to pit with no time in the first round of qualifying while Hamilton, who was fifth in practice, posted the fastest time in the first qualifying session.

Vettel thought he had a turbo problem. he has already used his allotted number of turbochargers so he would face a grid penalty with the next one. This would be a good time to change it as he can't start any farther back than 20th.

Lewis Hamilton can drive a race car. Bottas was fastest in the Q2 but could only manage 5th in the final session. Vettel still has a chance in the race tomorrow to at least get a position in the points. Maybe Ferrari can order Raikkonen to take Hamilton out at the start.

It seems that by regulation, if changes are made to Vettels car he would have to start from the pit lane. They wont have time to test it except on the outlap to the grid.

Verstappen takes the win at Malaysia. Hamilton second Ricciardo third as Vettel comes from 20th to fourth. Raikonnen had a failure prior to the start and never ran a lap.

Back