Mount Rushmore of Kimura experts in MMA (GIFs & pics!)

Typrune Goatley

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Does anyone disagree with my Mount Rushmore of Kimura experts in MMA?

Kazushi Sakuraba
Frank Mir
Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza
Fabricio Werdum

9Kld2fTQ2iv4Y.gif

4.gif

images (18).jpg

Let's make this thread all about Kimuras!

If you disagree with my 4 Kimura GOATS please feel free to explain.

Also please feel free to post GIFs and pics of anything Kimura related. It doesn't have to be one of these 4 guys! All Kimuras are welcome!

39739.jpg

Even if they don't finish with a kimura but used the Kimura grip to transition that is still okay too!!! Like how Saku transitioned to the armbar in these next two:

SourFearfulInsect.gif

k9bacy.jpg

And of course, the most basic counter to a Kimura is to step over the head and execute an armbar of your own as seen here by Matt Hughes in his sub win over GSP!

hughesarmbarsgsp.gif

Please post anything Kimura related!!!!

jacareg1.gif

Last edited:

Kazushi Sakuraba
Fabricio Werdum
Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza
Frank Mir

images

4.gif

View attachment 279433

If you disagree with my 4 Kimura GOATS please feel free to explain. Also please feel free to post GIFs and pics of anything Kimura related. It doesn't have to be one of these 4 guys! All Kimuras are welcome!

View attachment 279439

Even if they don't finish with a kimura but used the Kimura grip to transition that is still okay too!!! Like how Saku transitioned to the armbar in these next two:

SourFearfulInsect.gif

k9bacy.jpg

And of course, the most basic counter to a Kimura is to step over the head and execute an armbar of your own as seen here by Matt Hughes in his sub win over GSP!

2647854B521C2E1E10575A

As a long time fan of Nog it hurts to watch his sub losses but really there is no shame in losing to great submission fighters like Werdum and Mir! I was looking for a high quality GIF of the Mir kimura if anyone can contribute.

I would also love to see the Wonderbar from a good angle! Or if you have anything else that we may not have seen before we would love to see it!

jacareg1.gif

Please post anything Kimura related!!!

P.S great AV, Fucking Love Frye vs Takayama, first Pride fight I ever watched

Nogueira

he demonstrated that Kimuras do not phase him

MirNog2.gif

AgXOcTaCMAAB-5o_large.jpg

You don't see too many Kimuras anymore. the Diaz bros use a kimura lock every time someone takes their back standing

My favorite all time submission and my personal favorite when grappling.. Saku will always be #1 at it in my book.

Kazushi Sakuraba
Fabricio Werdum
Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza
Frank Mir

9Kld2fTQ2iv4Y.gif

4.gif

View attachment 279433

If you disagree with my 4 Kimura GOATS please feel free to explain. Also please feel free to post GIFs and pics of anything Kimura related. It doesn't have to be one of these 4 guys! All Kimuras are welcome!

View attachment 279439

SourFearfulInsect.gif

k9bacy.jpg

2647854B521C2E1E10575A

As a long time fan of Nog it hurts to watch his sub losses but really there is no shame in losing to great submission fighters like Werdum and Mir! I was looking for a high quality GIF of the Mir kimura if anyone can contribute.

I would also love to see the Wonderbar from a good angle! Or if you have anything else that we may not have seen before we would love to see it!

jacareg1.gif

Please post anything Kimura related!!!
Sakuraba over Renzo, Mir over Big Nog, Palhares over Shields and Khabib over MJ

4 best kimuras imo

Couldn't help but notice how most of these guys are on the large side. Couldn't find many examples sub 185ish. Is that because it takes a lot of brute strength to complete this submission?

Demetrious%2BJohnson%2BKimura%2BChris%2BCariaso%2BUFC%2B178.gif

MM does one here, but he is a relatively strong guy too.

Last edited:
Couldn't help but notice how most of these guys are on the large side. Couldn't find many examples sub 185ish. Is that because it takes a lot of brute strength to complete this submission?

Nice! I love how he steps over his head which basically brings him into North South position. I always feel like there is more control for the Kimura in NS as opposed to Side Control.
the tap out is due to the stink ass from gooch that Mighty Mouse has in his opponents face
Usually when doing a Kimura in NS you want to trap/squeeze your opponent's head between both your legs to immobilize him and make the escape harder(and more stink!), but DJ had the free arm trapped in almost like a crucifix. A little different than normal but very effective! You can also rest one knee down and plant the foot down of the other leg to balance.

I love how DJ somewhat carries on the Catch tradition via Hume.

Last edited:
GSP is the king of Kimura attempts.

Sakuraba is the just the king.

A lot of people think it is a strength based technique but that is not entirely true.

You can sometimes quickly catch someone off guard with the element of surprise. The Kimura is a move where once it is already almost locked in, it is usually almost impossible to escape. There are some fancy ways to escape using your feet but usually you will not find the escape before your arm is already getting severely cranked.

There are also a 1000 different variations, transitions and set ups.

Staying committed to the hold and using your hips and feet to position yourself to finish is also very important.

We also have weight classes in MMA these days so technically everyone should be able to Kimura somebody in the same weight class.

While strength helps, there is a lot of technique, strategy and patience required to finish somebody skilled with this submission.

Last edited:
Sak was the Kimura king but tbh Jacare and Werdum sub him with whatever they want. Btw Kimo and Mayhem mastered Sak with Kata Gatame.

Sak was the Kimura king but tbh Jacare and Werdum sub him with whatever they want. Btw Kimo and Mayhem mastered Sak with Kata Gatame.
The Kimo fight was like Saku's first fight. Was it a real MMA fight or a pro wrestling match? I still have never seen it. I have heard it was a work yet for some reason it remains on Saku's pro MMA record. I really don't know. @DaPunkMinowaMan might know the real answer to that

Mayhem subbed Saku when he was very old and broken down. Sakuraba's prime was in the late 90's and early 2000s.

Back