Mousasi on why financial incentives in Pride favored exciting fights

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Found these Mousasi comments interesting on why financial incentives in Pride favored exciting fights while financial incentives in UFC encourages safe fights (timestamped):

"With Pride, it didn't matter if you lost or won, as long as you did a good fight, you will come back and fight. But here [in the UFC] sometimes you have pressure. If you lose, you're going to lose money, you're going to get kicked out, fans they're very fast at kicking you down. Japan, as you fight, you're a good fighter, you fight, you lost, you gave it your all, they appreciate it. But here it's very fast you know."

Last edited:
Found these Mousasi comments interesting on why financial incentives in Pride favored exciting fights while financial incentives in UFC encourages safe fights (timestamped):

"With Pride, it didn't matter if you lost or won, as long as you did a good fight, you will come back and fight. But here [in the UFC] sometimes you have pressure. If you lose, you're going to lose money, you're going to get kicked out, fans they're very fast at kicking you down. Japan, as you fight, you're a good fighter, you fight, you lost, you gave it your all, they appreciate it. But here it's very fast you know."

<Goldie11>

Moose is gonna fuck up Bellator!

I never liked the UFCs policy either. I loved watching Tank abbott fight until he just quit training all together. You should have to lose a bunch to have to worry about anything.

I don't fault "the UFC".
The sport evolved.

I hate that now it is a lot about money, but it is what it is.

Well, obviously the UFC does not help much, they are greedy as f*** and they are the ones allowed that fighters like Conor turn this about a money thing.
But times changes, and before it was about honor and the love for the sport.
But it makes sense that now (that MMA is more popular), fighters get paid better.

But UFC and some fighters just made it all about the money, and the sport is hurting because of it.

You can't blame Mousasi for being a bit "sour" towards UFC.He fought out his 8 fight contract with UFC (which he went 7-1) and finished last fight with someone who was #4 and not the greatest style of match ups for him. He goes out in 2nd round and mollywhops Weidman for the tko.

Most fighters in his position re-up their contracted deals before the last fight on deal (he was 6-1 before weidman).

What does UFC do at the very start of the 90 day negotiation period? They tell him " he's not a big enough name" yet he had main event or co-main evented every fight in UFC outside of one [UFC 200].

I don't fault "the UFC".
The sport evolved.

I hate that now it is a lot about money, but it is what it is.

Well, obviously the UFC does not help much, they are greedy as f*** and they are the ones allowed that fighters like Conor turn this about a money thing.
But times changes, and before it was about honor and the love for the sport.
But it makes sense that now (that MMA is more popular), fighters get paid better.

But UFC and some fighters just made it all about the money, and the sport is hurting because of it.
That's not the argument. Pride was also about the money. But the money went to exciting fighters rather than people trying to win at all costs, even if it means turning every fight into a snoozer.

It was ran by gangsters. Not Italians with connections but real motherfucking gangsters. I'm sure there was a lot of money flowing in and out.

I agree, fighters are forced to change there style even if they are winning. Fans like the rock em sock em fights. Some are fun to watch but if I was a fighter I would prefer getting hit as little as possible and getting out of there with the least amount of damage even if I lost.

You can't blame Mousasi for being a bit "sour" towards UFC.He fought out his 8 fight contract with UFC (which he went 7-1) and finished last fight with someone who was #4 and not the greatest style of match ups for him. He goes out in 2nd round and mollywhops Weidman for the tko.

Most fighters in his position re-up their contracted deals before the last fight on deal (he was 6-1 before weidman).

What does UFC do at the very start of the 90 day negotiation period? They tell him " he's not a big enough name" yet he had main event or co-main evented every fight in UFC outside of one [UFC 200].

These are really good points. He might've been screwed by the UFC but hey, it's a private organization.

"With Pride, it didn't matter if you lost or won, as long as you did a good fight, you will come back and fight. "

B eye.gif

Last edited:
It was ran by gangsters. Not Italians with connections but real motherfucking gangsters. I'm sure there was a lot of money flowing in and out.
by gangsters or by the pope... concerning the topic here, who gives a fook?

usehead 2.gif

pride did pay their fighters well, but they also didn't know who they'd fight until the last second sometimes. it was run in the shade and eventually got exposed and went away. i do miss the show that pride put on. it was entertainment at its best.

Back