Movies Movie News and Notes

Trailer for J.J. Abrams' "Bat-Shit Crazy" WWII Sci-Fi Horror OVERLORD

DEADPOOL 2 Star Zazie Beetz in Talks to Join Joaquin Phoenix in JOKER

v8g8crm.jpg

Zazie Beetz is moving from absurd superheroics to a supervillain character drama. The actress, who co-starred in Deadpool 2, is in talks to join Joaquin Phoenix in Joker, the standalone origin project from Warner Bros. and The Hangover helmer Todd Phillips.

Phoenix is portraying the DC Comics villain in a movie that is more moderately budgeted and darker than the studio’s other DC-based movies, known as the DC Cinematic Universe. The movie is also described as more a dark character study than a crime thriller, with Taxi Driver andThe King of Comedy as the tonal watchwords.

While details of the Phillips and Scott Silver-penned script are being kept under wraps, if a deal makes, Beetz would play a single mother who catches the interest of the man who will become the Clown Prince of Crime.

Joker is due to begin shooting September in New York. The studio has set an Oct. 4, 2019 release date.

Beetz gained notices for her breakout work in FX’s Donald Glover show, Atlanta. The show trampolined her into high-profile movie roles, including the Deadpool sequel and Fox Searchlight’s Noah Hawley drama that stars Natalie Portman. She also has Steven Soderbergh’s High Flying Bird in post.

'Joker' Movie: 'Deadpool 2' Actress Zazie Beetz in Talks to Join Joaquin Phoenix (Exclusive)

ZOMBIELAND 2 Officially a Go with Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Abigail Breslin Returning

9y7wkja.jpg

It may have taken almost 10 years, but Zombieland is ready to open its doors again. After fits and starts, Sony Pictures has reunited the cast of its 2009 surprise hit — including Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg and Abigail Breslin — for Zombieland 2.

Ruben Fleischer, who helmed the original and is behind the studio’s Spider-Man-centric fall tentpole, Venom, is returning to the director’s chair.

Original Zombieland writers Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese, who have, in the intervening years, found success as the writers of the irreverent and successful Deadpool franchise, are also back, having penned the script for the new project. Additionally, Gavin Polone is returning as producer.

While rumors of the sequel have risen from the dead several times over the years, this time Sony really means it. The film is set to begin production in January 2019 and will be released in October 2019, in time for the 10th anniversary of the original movie.

Zombieland was a horror comedy road movie that followed four strangers who meet and eventually bond during a post-apocalyptic zombie outbreak. Eisenberg played a geeky survivor named Columbus, Harrelson was the violent Tallahassee, and Stone and Breslin were sneaky sisters Wichita and Little Rock, respectively. (In the movie, the monikers were a means to prevent others getting too close to someone who could die anytime, while the town itself meant something personal to the character who chose his or her name.)

The original movie grossed only $75 million domestically and racked up a worldwide total of $102.3 million. Not only did it win over critics, but it also became a cult hit in its post-theatrical life and gained a strong following while also acting as a major launching pad for all involved.

It helped that the budget for the movie was just under $24 million.

While Sony wouldn’t comment on the budget for the sequel, it certainly is more. In the years since, all the actors became Academy Award nominees, with Stone winning for her performance in 2016’s La La Land.

“This is one of those projects that fans have wanted to see happen for a long time — and no one wanted to see it happen more than Emma, Woody, Jesse and Abigail,” said Columbia Pictures president Sanford Panitch in a statement. “These are some of the most in-demand actors, and I think they are making this movie because they love these characters. We are thrilled Ruben was willing to come back to direct the sequel, as his work on Venom has been truly amazing.”

The new movie will once again put the focus on comic mayhem, taking the quartet from the White House to the American heartland as they face off against new kinds of zombies that have evolved since the first movie, as well as some new human survivors. But, most of all, according to the studio, they have to face the growing pains of their own snarky, makeshift family.

'Zombieland' Sequel a Go With Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Abigail Breslin (Exclusive)

Its a step in the right direction when everyone from top to bottom returns.

James Gunn Fired From ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Franchise Over Offensive Tweets

James Gunn has been removed as director of the Guardians Of The Galaxy series after a batch of old social media dispatches were unearthed that touched on areas like pedophilia and rape. In the latest shocking #metoo development in the entertainment industry, Gunn was severed from the Marvel Comics Universe after a slew of social media posts he wrote before getting Guardians of the Galaxy surfaced. According to Fox News, they were posted because Gunn is an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump and the effort was to knock him down a few pegs.
Mission accomplished. Gunn has long been a provocateur who has drawn ire in the past for his unusual humor. Among the tweets that forced Disney and Marvel’s hand were: “I like when little boys touch me in my silly place.”

Another: “The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!’” There were others that made satirical comments about the 9/11 attack, AIDS and the Holocaust.

Disney responded quickly and decisively: “The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” said Alan Horn, Walt Disney Studios chairman, in a statement just released.

Since the fall of Harvey Weinstein, a heightened level of sensitivity in Hollywood has led to one headline after another, from Scarlett Johansson withdrawing from playing a transgender character in the $30 million New Regency film Rub & Tug, to Paramount TV chief Amy Powell being fired for alleged racially insensitive statements. This was just the past nine days.

The idea of being held to task for old social media posts might be new to Hollywood, but we see it rear up all the time in sports, most recently when all-star Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Josh Hader was forced to apologize for old homophobic and racist posts made while he was in high school in 2012.

Here is Gunn defending the prior tweets, which were captured by Fox News before his Twitter feed was taken down.

1. Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor.

— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
2. It’s not to say I’m better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it’s shocking and trying to get a reaction are over.

4. For the record, when I made these shocking jokes, I wasn’t living them out. I know this is a weird statement to make, and seems obvious, but, still, here I am, saying it.

5. Anyway, that’s the completely honest truth: I used to make a lot of offensive jokes. I don’t anymore. I don’t blame my past self for this, but I like myself more and feel like a more full human being and creator today. Love you to you all.

Jennifer Connelly in Talks to Play the Female Lead in TOP GUN: MAVERICK

mgSrRK5.jpg

Jennifer Connelly might be taking a ride on the highway to the danger zone. The actress, who won an Oscar for 2001’s A Beautiful Mind, is in early negotiations to join Tom Cruise in Paramount and Skydance’s Top Gun sequel, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Cruise is reprising his role as hotshot Navy pilot Maverick in the sequel to the 1986 movie that is being directed by Joseph Kosinski. Kosinski directed the actor in his sci-fi thriller, Oblivion. Jerry Bruckheimer will produce.

The movie recently cast Miles Teller as the son of Goose, Maverick’s wingman, played by Anthony Edwards in the original movie. That role was the big get of the season for Hollywood’s young male actors.

If a deal makes, Connelly will play the movie’s female lead — a single mother who runs a local bar near the Navy base. The movie is on the runway for a September start of production in San Diego.

Connelly, whose credits range from The Rocketeer to Dark City to Noah, recently appeared in Kosinski’s firefighter drama, Only the Brave, and will be seen in Fox’s Alita: Battle Angel, which opens December.

Jennifer Connelly in Early Talks to Join Tom Cruise in 'Top Gun' Sequel

First Official Trailer for M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable and Split Sequel GLASS

M. Night Shyamalan brings together the narratives of two of his standout originals—2000’s Unbreakable, from Touchstone, and 2016’s Split, from Universal—in one explosive, all-new comic-book thriller: Glass. From Unbreakable, Bruce Willis returns as David Dunn as does Samuel L. Jackson as Elijah Price, known also by his pseudonym Mr. Glass. Joining from Split are James McAvoy, reprising his role as Kevin Wendell Crumb and the multiple identities who reside within, and Anya Taylor-Joy as Casey Cooke, the only captive to survive an encounter with The Beast.

Following the conclusion of Split, Glass finds Dunn pursuing Crumb’s superhuman figure of The Beast in a series of escalating encounters, while the shadowy presence of Price emerges as an orchestrator who holds secrets critical to both men. Joining the all-star cast are Unbreakable’s Spencer Treat Clark and Charlayne Woodard, who reprise their roles as Dunn’s son and Price’s mother, as well as Golden Globe Award winner Sarah Paulson (American Horror Story series). Opens January 18, 2019.

Trailer for GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS

Last edited:
trailer for FANTASTIC BEAST: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD

Trailer for GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS

Looks amazing.. could still be crap but man...it looks great.

Also on the Gunn thing, kinda lame to fire him over shit he said a long time ago. No one will do guardians justice like he did.

Looking forward to Aquaman and not gonna lie, Shazam looks entertaining and I've always been iffy about that character.

Robert De Niro in Talks to Join Joaquin Phoenix in JOKER Origin Movie

Xt0rZRW.jpg

Robert De Niro is ready to do his first comic book movie. The veteran actor is in negotiations to join Joaquin Phoenix in Warner Bros.’ upcoming Joker stand-alone movie from The Hangover helmer Todd Phillips.

Phoenix is portraying the DC Comics villain in a movie that is more moderately budgeted and darker than the studio’s other DC-based movies, known as the DC Cinematic Universe.

Phillips is directing from a script he's co-written with Scott Silver (8 Mile, The Fighter). While plot details are largely unknown, the stand-alone is supposed to be set in Gotham City in the early 1980s.

If a deal is made, De Niro would play a talk show host who is somehow instrumental in the Joker’s origin.

De Niro has won or been nominated for his work in such classics as The Godfather: Part 2 and Raging Bull,appeared in crime dramas and thrillers such as Goodfellas and Heat, and even comedies such as the Meet the Parents series and Analyze This. And while he has occasionally dipped a toe in fantastical or fantasy fare with The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle or Stardust, he has eschewed the material and has certainly avoided comic book movies.

But the Joker stand-alone is being developed as no ordinary comic book movie. The budget is in the $55 million range, significantly lower than most comic book tentpoles that feature characters from Marvel or DC. And the stand-alone is said to be a character exploration as well as a drama, not a fight-fest.

The project is due to begin filming September in New York.

Robert De Niro in Talks to Join Joaquin Phoenix in Joker Standalone Movie (Exclusive)

Frances Conroy to Play Titular Character's Mother in JOKER Origin Movie

W8HbbV6.jpg

Frances Conroy is in talks to play the Joker’s mother, Penny, in Warner Bros.’ “Joker,” an individual with knowledge of the project exclusively told TheWrap.

Joaquin Phoenix is set to play the titular character, while “Deadpool 2” star Zazie Beetz is in talks to join the cast as a single mother who catches the attention of the Joker prior to his transformation into the nihilistic Gotham City villain. In Alan Moore’s version of the Joker’s origins, the villain was an unnamed failed comedian who struggles to make ends meet for his pregnant wife. When his wife is killed in a freak accident and a robbery he is forced to take part in disfigures his face, the comedian snaps, becoming the infamous Joker.

While story details are being kept under wraps, it has been previously reported that the origin story for Batman’s nemesis will be more of a mid-budget crime thriller than a superhero blockbuster, and that it will be based at least loosely on the origin story for the character depicted in Alan Moore’s “The Killing Joke.”

Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow will co-produce the film, with Todd Phillips directing. Emma Tillinger Koskoff and Richard Baratta, whose producing credits include Martin Scorsese’s “The Wolf of Wall Street,” are attached as producers. The film will be released on October 4, 2019, with production set to begin in New York in September.

On Monday, it was also reported that Robert De Niro was in talks to join the project. The role would see De Niro portray a talk show host who plays a role in the Joker’s origins.

Conroy recently starred in “The Tale” opposite Laura Dern, Jason Ritter and Elizabeth Debicki as well as “American Horror Story,” “Young Sheldon” and “Arrested Development.”

‘Joker': Frances Conroy in Talks to Play Mom to Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker in Batman Spinoff (Exclusive)

Back