Moving to Brazil on 05/06/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tropa de Elite 2 is better than the first one for those who can understand portuguese. It is much more complex and is a great sequel. Se quer me fude me beija.

in your passing game have you looked at finishing your passes with walking back towards the hips to control them? rather than just turning straight away into side control. this is something i have noticed that EVERY single high level guy i have trained with teaches and does

This really depends on what type of pass I'm doing and who I'm teaching it to. I'm going to be honest that takes a lot of hip control and feel for what your opponents hips are doing. For intermediates and beginners it typically ends in them re entering guard.

I use the type of control that you're talking about a lot, it's just not put into my instructional videos because the majority of people that can use that type of control dont need to look at my videos, if that makes sense.

Cool stuff as always Gerbil!

May I ask: How many rest days do you have per week and what is your average pre-day-training ration when not injured.

Cheers and heal up quickly!

I take two rest days a week. There is an open mat with a lot of high level guys on Saturdays but I typically need the two day rest so that I can train hard on Mondays.

I eat like a hunter gatherer.

hi gerbil, nice post!

May i ask if your opponent was trying a de la riva on you and have his hands on ur foot/heels. Is this pass still an option ?

No, sorry :( you need to turn that knee out to eliminate the De la Riva hook AND you cant backstep to collapse on that knee if he's holding your foot....Unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

Jeremy, not sure you know this and let me ask this question first. Have you seen Cidade de Deus? The City of God. I am pretty sure you have. Awesome movie. Well that favela was one of the first one's in Rio but it came about when the government started moving people out to the outskirts of Rio which created the City of God. Well the City of God is very near to Barra di Tijuca. In fact if you travel inland past the large mall you always talk about (i cant remember the roads name, big highway multiple lanes) toward an area called Jacarapague then just past that part of Rio hang a left and you are at the City of God, if my memory serves me right.

That's where any crime would come from in the Barra di Tijuca area. I spent a lot of time in Jacarapague and I would suggest you visit the place. Very nice normal neighborhood of Rio. The streets are not paved (at least when I was there they were not) but the people are great and the women are gorgeous!

thanks for the answer jeremy, u got me right,

Im often curious about how an average blackbelt was paid as full time instructors in brazil? Especially when there are so many blackbelts there.

well, isn't the world just a small place? I've been reading your blog for probably a year now Gerbil, and all of a sudden Teta shows up. He's our main instructor here in Oslo, and is indeed awesome. He runs the Frontline academy which is located in a place called Majorstuen, right smack in the middle of Oslo. I average about 3 trainings a week and Teta usually instructs every one of them. Good to hear he's making someone else feel helpless for a change.
Thanks for this weeks technique, always appreciated!

well, isn't the world just a small place? I've been reading your blog for probably a year now Gerbil, and all of a sudden Teta shows up. He's our main instructor here in Oslo, and is indeed awesome. He runs the Frontline academy which is located in a place called Majorstuen, right smack in the middle of Oslo. I average about 3 trainings a week and Teta usually instructs every one of them. Good to hear he's making someone else feel helpless for a change.
Thanks for this weeks technique, always appreciated!

if you see oda, give her a kiss from me :p

thanks for the answer jeremy, u got me right,

Im often curious about how an average blackbelt was paid as full time instructors in brazil? Especially when there are so many blackbelts there.

I'm not sure how they get paid, my guess would be the same way a great black belt gets paid. Keep in mind that there may be a lot of black belts here in Brazil but that doesnt mean that they want to teach. Sometimes teaching can be quite a burden, especially when you want to maintain your ability to be a great grappler.

Also, just because there are a lot of black belts here in Brazil doesn't mean that there are so many BJJ practitioners that an average black belt couldn't start his own club and teach without stepping on someone else's toes. Maybe not easily in Rio or SP but definitely in other parts of the country.

Jeremy, not sure you know this and let me ask this question first. Have you seen Cidade de Deus? The City of God. I am pretty sure you have. Awesome movie. Well that favela was one of the first one's in Rio but it came about when the government started moving people out to the outskirts of Rio which created the City of God. Well the City of God is very near to Barra di Tijuca. In fact if you travel inland past the large mall you always talk about (i cant remember the roads name, big highway multiple lanes) toward an area called Jacarapague then just past that part of Rio hang a left and you are at the City of God, if my memory serves me right.

That's where any crime would come from in the Barra di Tijuca area. I spent a lot of time in Jacarapague and I would suggest you visit the place. Very nice normal neighborhood of Rio. The streets are not paved (at least when I was there they were not) but the people are great and the women are gorgeous!

I know the area you're talking about, I'll have to try and make it over that way with someone that lives here. Thanks for the tips!

Hey gerbil, i actually live in barra and i dont really think jacarepagua/cidade de deus are cool places.. they can be dangerous if you dont know where you are walking or going to.. there are some cool things to do there but if you want to check, make sure you are with someone that knows the area.. id rather have fun in Lapa, ipanema or barra

Hey gerbil, i actually live in barra and i dont really think jacarepagua/cidade de deus are cool places.. they can be dangerous if you dont know where you are walking or going to.. there are some cool things to do there but if you want to check, make sure you are with someone that knows the area.. id rather have fun in Lapa, ipanema or barra

I appreciate the advice jocabogho. I'm not in the habit of exploring in Rio alone or without someone that is 1. a local and 2. knows the area. But please don't take this statement as a "I know it all" because I certainly don't. Any time you can give me advice that will provide more safety please give it :D

How much estimated is a great black belt paid in brazil? How much does it takes to train a month there converted to usd?

Btw gerbil, im just curious. You plan to stay all the way till u got ur blackbelt right? How much savings did u actually bring to brazil your second time round just to be prepared staying till a certain time/date?

I'm not sure how they get paid, my guess would be the same way a great black belt gets paid. Keep in mind that there may be a lot of black belts here in Brazil but that doesnt mean that they want to teach. Sometimes teaching can be quite a burden, especially when you want to maintain your ability to be a great grappler.

Also, just because there are a lot of black belts here in Brazil doesn't mean that there are so many BJJ practitioners that an average black belt couldn't start his own club and teach without stepping on someone else's toes. Maybe not easily in Rio or SP but definitely in other parts of the country.

I know the area you're talking about, I'll have to try and make it over that way with someone that lives here. Thanks for the tips!

Hey gerbil, no problem, i actually think that 'Know it all' can't be applied to Rio hahahahaha.. if you have any doubts you can ask me and i will try to help you the same way you help me with positions and blog posts!

p.s: that worm is crazy bro, never seen anything like that hahahahaha

(Post 1/2)

It has been a long week riddled with disappointment and setback. Like many other professional athletes, the injuries are starting to rack up and now they are building off of each other. On Monday morning I injured my ankle while trying to finish an open guard sweep against one of the better black belts at the academy. As I started to come from the seated position my opponent pushed back into me and my foot was caught under his body. It was in the

Hey Jeremy,

I was thinking about solutions for your foggy-lens problem, and I think I might have accidentally come up with one for your soggy gis as well. Although finding what I'll suggest in Brazil may be a problem...

In two words: silica gel. The stuff they put in shoe boxes marked "DO NOT EAT" which you can, in fact, eat.

For the camera, I would keep a small tupperware container full of silica gel handy (and airtight) until it was time to snap pics. Wipe the lens, place the camera on or in the silica gel, and it should suck up humidity long enough to keep your lens from fogging up. Maybe you'd need to fill up some pantyhose (ask Igor?) with gel and drape it around the lens. Something to experiment with.

For the gis, if you had enough gel you could throw the fabric and the gel (in socks or something) into a sealed bucket and let the gel suck up the moisture.

In both cases, you would "recharge" the gel after using it by throwing it onto a baking tray and putting it in an oven. Bake it for a while and the moisture will be forced out. You'd need to bag while it was hot to avoid it sucking that moisture right back up though. This is assuming, of course, that you have access to an oven. Otherwise, you're pretty much screwed, as it sounds like there are many days where 'dry' is only a Rio fantasy.

Where to get silica gel? Besides getting in bulk from a chemical supply company, you can find at florist's shops for drying flowers or as a primary ingredient in 'crystal' kitty litters (bonus fresh scent!). When I wanted to get my hands on some silica gel while working in the Canadian north (only one convenience store for hundreds of kilometers) I bought some Pampers. Diapers have the gel in a different, fibrous format, but it's basically the same stuff.

Silica Gel Desiccant Dehumidifiers - Eliminate Moisture! - SilicaGelPackets.com

That site will give you some visuals even if importing to Brazil isn't an option.

Go forth and suck up that moisture!

Jay

some quick questions..

This is going to be hard to interpret as we all pronounce things differently and read them differently too....but...

Is the 'm' in Bom (as in Bom Dia) pronouned with an 'mm' sound or something esle ? how would one describe the sound ? I have looked on the net and found many different interpretations of how it should sound and am confused now.

Also can anyone recomend a good english to portuguese and vice versa dictionary.

Preferably one with good pronounciations in them

Hey Kalma,

Trying to learn to pronounce a foreign word from a dictionary is pretty much a doomed project. It's hard enough trying to get the right pronunciation for an English word you've never heard!

Luckily for you, this is 2010 and the internet is crawling with audio and video. Just youtube 'Brazilian portuguese' and you'll get tons of hits. Like this one:

YouTube - Portuguese For Beginners.

If you really want to know if you've got it right then you should record yourself trying to say 'Bom'. We don't always sound like we think we sound!

If your goal is to become fluent, I would definitely check out this guy's blog so you can avoid wasting money and time on lots of things that don't work (e.g. studying from books):

Fluent in 3 months

Good luck,

J

some quick questions..

This is going to be hard to interpret as we all pronounce things differently and read them differently too....but...

Is the 'm' in Bom (as in Bom Dia) pronouned with an 'mm' sound or something esle ? how would one describe the sound ? I have looked on the net and found many different interpretations of how it should sound and am confused now.

Also can anyone recomend a good english to portuguese and vice versa dictionary.

Preferably one with good pronounciations in them

Think nasally, soft ng sound. I'm sure someone who is a native speaker, or fluent, could describe it better.

But, I'd think of it closer to bong than bomb.

i didn't get to go through all 200+ pages but it looks like you are having a great time over there!

Jeremy, are you fighting in No Gi Brasileiros? I'm registering tomorrow. If you are, I will be the American purple belt with a mustache and a lot of tattoos. I know you said you don't beach much so you probably don't know this stuff but just in case...

In the second week of November my Mom and Sister are visiting and I am having them come to Rio instead of Santos because it is more vacationy. We're staying on the edge of Ipa near right next to Copa.

1. Do you know of anywhere to go jump off of cliffs? Im extremely pissed that I have been in Brazil for three months and no one has taken me.

2. What is the name/general location of that Italian place that you posted about earlier where everything was made from scratch and the owner was awesome? (My internet isn't good enough to wade through a bunch of pages)

3. Do you know how to get to that waterfall that Felipe Costa always takes people to?

I am trying to figure out some stuff ahead of time to keep them from being bored. My Mom NEVER goes on vacation and when she does she just sits around and reads mostly, so I wanna get her out seeing things and having fun. She can sit around and read when I leave to train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back