Moving to Brazil on 05/06/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeremy, are you fighting in No Gi Brasileiros? I'm registering tomorrow. If you are, I will be the American purple belt with a mustache and a lot of tattoos. I know you said you don't beach much so you probably don't know this stuff but just in case...

In the second week of November my Mom and Sister are visiting and I am having them come to Rio instead of Santos because it is more vacationy. We're staying on the edge of Ipa near right next to Copa.

1. Do you know of anywhere to go jump off of cliffs? Im extremely pissed that I have been in Brazil for three months and no one has taken me.

2. What is the name/general location of that Italian place that you posted about earlier where everything was made from scratch and the owner was awesome? (My internet isn't good enough to wade through a bunch of pages)

3. Do you know how to get to that waterfall that Felipe Costa always takes people to?

I am trying to figure out some stuff ahead of time to keep them from being bored. My Mom NEVER goes on vacation and when she does she just sits around and reads mostly, so I wanna get her out seeing things and having fun. She can sit around and read when I leave to train.

1. No I dont know anywhere. But I didnt even realize that was an option. When you figure that out please let me know because I would love to also.

2.It is at the end of Sorima in Barra Da Tijuca. The name of the restaurant is called La Botticella and I highly recommend the food.

3. I'm not sure about that waterfall but there is a waterfall 20 minutes into the Pedro de Gava hike. Again, if you figure out where another waterfall is let me know I'm always looking to experience new things like that.

Sorry I wasnt more helpful Kenny :(

and I probably wont be competing at the no gi tournament, my body is revolting against me. Between the ankle, the knee, my lower back and other little nagging injuries I feel like a cripple.

How much estimated is a great black belt paid in brazil? How much does it takes to train a month there converted to usd?

Btw gerbil, im just curious. You plan to stay all the way till u got ur blackbelt right? How much savings did u actually bring to brazil your second time round just to be prepared staying till a certain time/date?

I have no clue how much a great black belt in Brazil makes, absolutely no idea.

It costs less than 100 dollars a month to train and if you pay for more than three months then it's even less than that.

My economic planning was much like my last stay except with less allotted for each day. You can see that specific blog on my website if you would like. The blog title is "Taking Over the World One Armbar at a Time"

some quick questions..

This is going to be hard to interpret as we all pronounce things differently and read them differently too....but...

Is the 'm' in Bom (as in Bom Dia) pronouned with an 'mm' sound or something esle ? how would one describe the sound ? I have looked on the net and found many different interpretations of how it should sound and am confused now.

Also can anyone recomend a good english to portuguese and vice versa dictionary.

Preferably one with good pronounciations in them

I have an oxford dictionary and it works out pretty well. As far as how to pronounce "bom" it's basically "Bo" like the name and then the sound "MMMmmmMMm" like you've eaten something good. Just make it a very short "mmmmMmm" if that makes sense.

i didn't get to go through all 200+ pages but it looks like you are having a great time over there!

I am having a great time :D

hey Gerbil I am reading Neil Strauss book Warning right now. did you know that you could get a Brazilian passport if you knock up a Brazilian chick? i was thinking if that pesky blackbelt takes longer then you expected

Another more serious question, did you ever check out any luta livre? I think somebody mentioned it a couple of pages back.

And would you consider doing the same (living/training) sambo with Igor in Russia?

hey Gerbil I am reading Neil Strauss book Warning right now. did you know that you could get a Brazilian passport if you knock up a Brazilian chick? i was thinking if that pesky blackbelt takes longer then you expected

Another more serious question, did you ever check out any luta livre? I think somebody mentioned it a couple of pages back.

And would you consider doing the same (living/training) sambo with Igor in Russia?

1. I did know that if I knocked up a girl I would get a passport. The problem is that my new fiance may have a problem if she's not personally the mother of my children.

2. I did not check out luta livre all though I would not be opposed to it. I would love to but right now my body is really revolting against me.

3. Of course, that would be an awesome opportunity but I shiver to think of what a room full of people like him would be like...

I have an oxford dictionary and it works out pretty well. As far as how to pronounce "bom" it's basically "Bo" like the name and then the sound "MMMmmmMMm" like you've eaten something good. Just make it a very short "mmmmMmm" if that makes sense.

no it isn't

no it isn't

i think it pretty much is, but david if you would be so kind as to let us all know how you say bom, boa and bem i would be greatfull, oh also do you know how to say wanker in portugess ???? of something of a simular meaning.

i think it pretty much is, but david if you would be so kind as to let us all know how you say bom, boa and bem i would be greatfull, oh also do you know how to say wanker in portugess ???? of something of a simular meaning.

no, it really isn't.

bom dia pronunciation: How to pronounce bom dia in Portuguese

or even a portuguese accent:

bom pronunciation: How to pronounce bom in Portuguese, Dutch

have a listen.

sonia-portuguese.com_introduction
Brazilian Portuguese Pronunciation

i'm sure you know the word for wanker already, do you know how to say sorry i was wrong yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
no, it really isn't.

bom dia pronunciation: How to pronounce bom dia in Portuguese

or even a portuguese accent:

bom pronunciation: How to pronounce bom in Portuguese, Dutch

have a listen.

sonia-portuguese.com_introduction
Brazilian Portuguese Pronunciation

i'm sure you know the word for wanker already, do you know how to say sorry i was wrong yet?

I would be interested in how you say wanker as well, David. I can put my finger on how you come across every time you post in this thread, but I'd love to say it in another language too.

P.S. Your link is broken. Wanker.

nah i never lernt the word wanker but im sure if we look it up it will be the same all over

Wanker- (see also David5)

david no1 likes a smarty pants,

best way to say bom imo is like saying ''bong'' without saying the last bit of the ''g''

I would be interested in how you say wanker as well, David. I can put my finger on how you come across every time you post in this thread, but I'd love to say it in another language too.

P.S. Your link is broken. Wanker.

haha classic... Awesome video you put together of your trip bro. Definitely gave me some extra motivation to start saving more money for my trip. Plan on going back anytime soon?

nah i never lernt the word wanker but im sure if we look it up it will be the same all over

Wanker- (see also David5)

david no1 likes a smarty pants,

best way to say bom imo is like saying ''bong'' without saying the last bit of the ''g''

well, gerbil's giving out advice on how to speak portuguese, which is cool. i just disagreed with the accuracy, and you seem to agree with me. so not sure why you two are getting so upset

Well, my rent for four months in the connectionrio house is all paid for..Bought my ticket a few months ago, got my passport, and I'll have my brazilian visa in about 3 weeks. Have about $2000 to spend on food and miscellaneous items for 4 months there which leaves me $500 for each month. I'm thinking I'll need another $1000 just to be safe.

Still need to buy myself a laptop for when I go down there..

I fly out Jan 11th and come back home may 13th...

Been wanting to make this trip since I was 14..Can't wait to finally do it!

Well, my rent for four months in the connectionrio house is all paid for..Bought my ticket a few months ago, got my passport, and I'll have my brazilian visa in about 3 weeks. Have about $2000 to spend on food and miscellaneous items for 4 months there which leaves me $500 for each month. I'm thinking I'll need another $1000 just to be safe.

nice! it's practically guaranteed you'll love the place

AWESOME! I bet your pumped :D

Just try to stay injury free and everything will be gravy. You're going to be here for 4 months so dont try to hard to "push and prepare" like I did. Regardless of what kind of shape you're in it's probably going to be tough until you get accustomed to the weather.

Glad you're making the trip! See you when you get here.

haha classic... Awesome video you put together of your trip bro. Definitely gave me some extra motivation to start saving more money for my trip. Plan on going back anytime soon?

I wish! But funds are limited. I'm in the middle of upgrading gyms back home right now and will be in a one year lease minimum. I'd like to get more fights in, then maybe go train in Holland next. Fighting or not fighting, I will be returning to Brazil eventually, hopefully in a more permanent manner.

Brazilians pronounce wanker as wonker, like willy wonka. They accuse me of jerking off in the shower constantly and ask if I just had "a wonker."

Brazilians pronounce wanker as wonker, like willy wonka. They accuse me of jerking off in the shower constantly and ask if I just had "a wonker."

Thats funny. Did they randomly start saying that or did you make a joke about it?

Wow, where have you been man? Haven't posted here in forever it seems.

Have you been competing much? Any noteworthy results lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back