Moving to Brazil Part II

Im like 5 months in, and if there is one piece of advice about Brazil I can offer it is this...
You want to eat, sleep and breathe BJJ and get the best possible training you can but do ASBOLUTELY NOTHING else and not have fun outside training? Atos in Rio Claro.

If you want to get great training, but still have an awesome time and chase babes and widl out on the beach and always be happy? Rio. No Question. This place is freaktarded. I am losing my mind. This is fucking paradise. Sao Paulo is for people that just dont know better. (And the training at Fight Zone/Checkmat in Copa is off the fucking hook, 6 or 7 black belts in the morning class today, almost all feather and lightweights)

this is a great thread. thanks for sharing all of this stuff guys.

Im like 5 months in, and if there is one piece of advice about Brazil I can offer it is this...
You want to eat, sleep and breathe BJJ and get the best possible training you can but do ASBOLUTELY NOTHING else and not have fun outside training? Atos in Rio Claro.

If you want to get great training, but still have an awesome time and chase babes and widl out on the beach and always be happy? Rio. No Question. This place is freaktarded. I am losing my mind. This is fucking paradise. Sao Paulo is for people that just dont know better. (And the training at Fight Zone/Checkmat in Copa is off the fucking hook, 6 or 7 black belts in the morning class today, almost all feather and lightweights)

Heh, I take it your next trip to Brazil will be spent in Rio?

Heh, I take it your next trip to Brazil will be spent in Rio?

Campinas/Rio Claro more likely. And dont get me wrong, I like Santos a lot and the training has been great, Rio is just next level paradise

Lol I just saw Alex Gaze (the promoter of Face to Face and famous MT guy from Rio) mention Igors name on Brazils combat channel. Apparently he's going to face a pretty experienced guy and the name of the event is Face to Face.

Santos is just a small beach city. Not so small but compared to Rio it is. S

Lol I just saw Alex Gaze (the promoter of Face to Face and famous MT guy from Rio) mention Igors name on Brazils combat channel. Apparently he's going to face a pretty experienced guy and the name of the event is Face to Face.

Do either of you guys know where i can see the replay online for No Gi Brasileiros? I saw it on (i think) Sport TV and I wanna show my Mom (we won the team award and are all jumping around on the podium at the end of the program)

Do either of you guys know where i can see the replay online for No Gi Brasileiros? I saw it on (i think) Sport TV and I wanna show my Mom (we won the team award and are all jumping around on the podium at the end of the program)

Puta man essa eh foda. The SportTv and Combate programmings are so disorganized that finding that would probably be impossible. I tryed looking around on the internet and I can only find specific replays but none of the team. I'll keep looking but I can't promise anything.

Edit: SporTV - V

"So here is my advice to you lower ranking guys. When you get the opportunity to roll with an advanced belt, how about you let that person decide what intensity they want to go at?"

I guess I'm the only guy that feels like I'm still working hard even if a higher belt is "taking it easy on me"? All I know is that it doesn't matter so much how the brown/black belt rolls with me, I'm still having to bust my ass usually. Why would you purposely ask to be repeatedly punished?

"If you were a novice in boxing would you ask this guy to try and knock you out?"

Good point, and I imagine if the definition of "rolling hard" was that you actually got to break their arm or choke them unconscious when they got caught in a submission they would stop asking for this type of training experience HAHAHA.

This weeks move is a very important transition, Half Guard to Full Guard. As many of you know I'm a Closed Guard player and having the ability to move between the variations of guard is very important. I really like this transition because it provides a lot of resistance on your opponent's hip using that leg that normally holds Half Guard. This move works great against people who like to base off of their feet and drive forward with their weight. Sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming having someone large and/or strong bearing down on you, and this move is a life saver.

Also keep in mind that you do not need the underhook for this move. Although I start off the video using the underhook, one of the great things about this move is that you don't have to have it and getting back into Closed Guard really eliminates the effectiveness of your opponent having the underhook.

Keep a close eye on how my body is angled and how that allows me to bend my knee and create space to get my leg back in. Try and rep it out a few times before you use it in rolling...and please remember to switch your hook in the back or you'll be cussing me out telling me how terrible of a transition this is.

Gerbil, you've done it again! I need a bumper sticker that reads, "The Gerbil is my co-pilot." This evening while rolling, I ended up in the bottom of half guard against a buddy who is very good at staying tight and putting weight on me. I like playing closed guard, and so I am glad whenever I can recompose. Because I had watched your video this past week, the thought came into my head tonight to see if the technique from your video might save me (sometimes I am like that; the co-pilot in my head just speaks to me while rolling). Even without remembering the specifics, I recalled switching my feet, posting my knee on his hip, and then pushing back to create space (banana-ing my body back). I forgot to push on his head exactly, but I made just enough room to get my leg free and get my guard back. This transition might become another go-to move for me. I intend to rep it some and see. If you recall, this was after your knee on belly to baseball choke setup worked so well for me last week. Please keep the techniques coming. I particularly appreciate when you teach very basic moves, and you articulate them in a clear way that makes sense. Thanks again.

Congrats to Igor and his trainers, on the mma win

Last edited:
(Post 1/2)

As you may already know the Connection Rio house had three professional fighters going to battle this weekend and I am very pleased to tell you the word of the week is

(Post 2/2)

When the fight actually started they both came to the center of the ring, touched gloves and then started to circle. His opponent threw a pretty stout leg kick and then it looked like Igor decided that he'd had enough of that (after one kick), closed the distance, grabbed a hold of him, lifted him into the air, and slammed him to the mat. There was a moment where I was mildly concerned because his opponent landed in a gullitone but after a 40 second defense his opponent burned out his arms.

From this point on it was downhill for his opponent. Igor laid some ground and pound. From my guess he landed about 25-30 very solid shots to the face with 6-7 of them hitting so hard that it made me cringe. At one point he hit the guy so hard on the ground that his mouth piece flew out of his head and blood came splattering out of his mouth. Whereas the canvas had been clean before the fight, now there was a basketball size spot in the middle of the mat where Igor was laying waste to this guy.

His opponent tried to get up only once and Igor hit him two or three times in the transition and then the guy fell back to the ground where Igor continued to punish him. When the round ended there was a good bit of blood on the ground, but a lot on the guys face and a lot of spatter on Igor too.

We ran into the ring to get ready to play charades with Igor in the hopes of giving him coaching. I tried to assess how tired he was from 5 minutes of pounding on the guy and all I could tell is that Igor was warmed up, he hadn't even started to fight. By the end of our training camp Igor was doing eight 5 minute rounds on the ground with standing in between...he was as prepared as he could be.

Ten seconds into the minute rest his opponent's coach came up to us and let us know that the fight was over. Apparently the guy was incoherent on the stool and as I looked past his coach the medics were running into the ring to attend to his opponent. Somewhere along the way Igor had hit the guy so hard that he broke his teeth...in his mouth piece. While the medical professionals looked over his opponent I snapped a shot of Igor as we told him he won the fight. Note the blood on his face and remember that it is not his.

SAM_2141.jpg

After his post fight interview we took a couple more photos and I had the opportunity to get a victory shot with Igor. I think I'm just as happy as he is. All the hard work paid off!

SAM_2155.jpg

Awesome update.
It's very interesting hearing of the other guys who had stayed there.

Great update! Igors a beast! Also pretty cool u got to meet JDS, how you described him is what I imagined how it would be like meeting him in real life.

Back