MS-13 victim’s mother fatally struck by car at site of daughter’s memorial service

SammyJar88

MAGA!!!
@purple
Reaction score
MS-13 victim’s mother fatally struck by car at site of daughter’s memorial service.

Posted 6:21 PM, September 14, 2018, by Andrea Cavallier and Associated Press, Updated at 08:50PM, September 14, 2018

BRENTWOOD, Long Island — The mother of a teen brutally murdered by alleged MS-13 gang members in Brentwood was fatally struck by a vehicle at the site where a memorial service was about to be held for her daughter on Friday after a heated confrontation with a driver, officials confirmed.

Evelyn Rodriguez, the mother of Kayla Cuevas, was killed at the same spot on Stahley Street where her daughter was found dead exactly two years ago on September 14, 2016. Congressman Peter King says it happened around 4:10 p.m., about an hour before a planned candlelight service at that location for her daughter.

Rodriguez and another person were standing in the street and yelling at the driver of the SUV before the vehicle sped forward and struck her, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press. She was pronounced dead at a hospital.

So far, there is no evidence of ties to MS-13 or any indication that the crash was retribution by the gang, said the official, who was not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation publicly and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

The driver remained at the scene and was not immediately arrested, according to the official, who added that detectives are still investigating what prompted the confrontation.

Cuevas, 16, and her friend, Nisa Mickens, 15, were found beaten and hacked to death in the Long Island neighborhood of Brentwood, the killings blamed on the MS-13 gang. Cuevas' body was found on Sept. 14, 2016. Brentwood has since become the epicenter in the fight against MS-13 violence.

U.S. Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., who had worked with Rodriguez on a campaign ad, was on his way to the memorial when he learned that she had been hit. He said it happened about an hour before a service was scheduled to begin.

"It's a tragedy beyond belief," King told the AP. "Everyone is in shock. What more could happen to one woman?"

Suffolk County District Attorney Tim Sini, who was police commissioner when Cuevas and Mickens were killed, said Rodriguez was "one of the strongest people" he's ever met and that he's heartbroken over her death.

"She was a fierce advocate for her hometown of Brentwood and was fearless in her fight to put an end to the violence caused by MS-13 to ensure that other parents never have to endure the pain she suffered," Sini said.

Rodriguez spoke out against the gang and the local school district after Cuevas and Mickens were attacked with machetes and baseball bats. Mickens' body was found near an elementary school on Sept. 13, 2016. Cuevas' body was found the next day, a few hundred feet away.

The girls' alleged killers, who were arrested along with about a dozen other suspected MS-13 members, are facing murder charges that could result in the death penalty.

MS-13, or the Mara Salvatrucha, is blamed for dozens of killings on Long Island since 2016. Trump has blamed the violence on lax immigration policies.

Prosecutors say Kayla was targeted because of ongoing disputes with gang members at her school. They say Nisa was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Rodriguez filed a $110 million lawsuit last December against the Brentwood School District, claiming it ignored warnings that MS-13 members were threatening Kayla.

Rodriguez said that employees failed to act when told that the girl was being threatened. The lawsuit says the bullying went on for two years before the teenager was killed.

Rodriguez told a House subcommittee last year that residents were living in fear and were afraid to let their kids play outside.

"The MS-13 gang is so unpredictable you just don't know who is who with them," Rodriguez said. "MS-13 is a new breed of murderers, they are children, kids killing kids, and as they continue to grow, so does their techniques of recruiting helpless kids into their wicked actions."

MS-13 is believed by federal prosecutors to have thousands of members across the U.S., primarily immigrants from Central America.

It has a stronghold in Los Angeles, where it emerged in the 1980s as a neighborhood street gang, and is suspected of violence in cities and suburbs across the United States.

Cuevas and Mickens' deaths put a sharpened focus on what had already been a spate of gang violence on Long Island. MS-13 has been blamed for more than two dozen slayings across a wide swath of the island since January 2016.

The parents of both teens were invited to President Donald Trump's State of the Union speech in 2018.

Evelyn Rodriguez was also invited to meet with Trump before the speech.

Rodriguez told The New York Times she was honored to be invited and said the focus on MS-13 wasn’t about immigration. She said everybody should put their political agenda aside and think about what’s going on in the country.

Last month, an MS-13 member pleaded guilty to participating in the brutal massacre of four young men in nearby Central Islip.

Josue Portillo, 17, admitted to planning the April 2017 killings with other MS-13 defendants because he said they believed the four were rival gang members, prosecutors said. The victims were lured to a park and attacked with machetes, knives and clubs.

https://pix11.com/2018/09/14/ms-13-victims-mother-fatally-struck-by-car-at-daughters-memorial-site/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3687668/posts

But MS13 are really just misunderstood

They are good boys

1000% they ran her over

Very sad indeed. I really hope her death isn't used against her own wishes. She both said that the focus should not be on immigration, and also touched upon how MS-13 was in the business of "recruiting helpless kids." Hopefully, in addition to increased regional and/or national focus on MS-13 as a criminal syndicate, there are also concerted efforts to minimize the helplessness of would-be recruits. I can think of no more meaningfully effective effort to curb these sorts of things than curbing childhood poverty.

1000% they ran her over

That doesn't seem to be suspected. I realize that gang members aren't exactly the best and brightest, but the group will come under increased pressure from this regardless of who the driver was, just by nature of the optics, so running her over would be a monumentally stupid move.

@Trotsky
That doesn't seem to be suspected. I realize that gang members aren't exactly the best and brightest, but the group will come under increased pressure from this regardless of who the driver was, so running her over would be a monumentally stupid move.

You have no idea how gang life is these days. Kids don’t say no. I’m guessing the person that hit her is 15-18 and is trying to prove themselves to the gang

The driver of the vehicle was not illegal.

But the vehicle was a Toyota.

@Trotsky
You have no idea how gang life is these days. Kids don’t say no. I’m guessing the person that hit her is 15-18 and is trying to prove themselves to the gang

I have some idea from my personal and professional background. It's been a while, but I would wager that I have more intimate first-hand knowledge than you or most.

Just like with anything, there are push and pull factors. Even for adults, the appeal of criminality is strong when set against schlepping your ass to the bus and scraping by in thankless minimum wage work. But for kids, it's a whole different set of considerations, both economic and social. You can be schlep your ass to school and live in constant scarcity, or you can be a little mini Scarface, flashing cash and getting ass. For impressionable and ego-driven kids (I think people really lose sight of just how irrational and ego-sensitive we were as children - particularly for boys), it's a real problem.

Very sad indeed. I really hope her death isn't used against her own wishes. She both said that the focus should not be on immigration, and also touched upon how MS-13 was in the business of "recruiting helpless kids." Hopefully, in addition to increased regional and/or national focus on MS-13 as a criminal syndicate, there are also concerted efforts to minimize the helplessness of would-be recruits. I can think of no more meaningfully effective effort to curb these sorts of things than curbing childhood poverty.

Pretty sure her wishes were that her and her daughter wouldn’t be murdered. It’s a known fact were most MS-13 members are coming from

@Trotsky

I have some idea from my personal and professional background. It's been a while, but I would wager that I have more intimate first-hand knowledge than you or most.

I’d wager you don’t.

MS13 are all about this, spreading fear. The memorial was published, they knew it was happening, so they got a young recruit to prove themselves

This is their MO, only they didn’t shoot, but used a car, likely stolen

So sad, the girls were getting bullied by this gang for over a year. Where these bangers trying to get them to be their chicas or something? Were the girls bodies hacked to pieces? Just sad, just sad.

These ethnic gangs cannot take hold, and become strong unless their own ethnicity takes over, literally, a whole area. Once that happens, this gang can blend in, and conduct their business. This is how they got away with bullying for so long inspite of warnings to the authorities. The authorities were mostly likely white, black, few latinos. Sadly the culture of the area changed to such where occurrences like this happen so much they no longer raise eyebrows.

As sad as it is for these two mothers, they are part of the wave that made this town what it is nowadays. A town were petty, low level crime/harassments, and all sorts of troubles no longer are taken serious enough by the authorities because even bigger problems have arisen which take up most of their time. I dont want to blame the grieving families, but this really is just one small part of a bigger problem.

The driver of the vehicle was not illegal.

Yea, if illegal immigrants have a kid here they are a US citizen

Pretty sure her wishes were that her and her daughter wouldn’t be murdered.

Regarding the cause of her death, I can only go on what the prosecutor is saying - that it's untied to MS-13. Regarding her wishes, I can only go on what she actually said.

It’s a known fact were most MS-13 members are coming from

Yeah. Fuckin' Milwaukee.

Yeah. Fuckin' Milwaukee.

91jjqC3pNgL._SL1500_.jpg

But MS13 are really just misunderstood

They are good boys

1000% they ran her over

This is exactly what they say about white murican school shooters. Crazy how terrible humans can be.

@kenetics
This is exactly what they say about white murican school shooters. Crazy how terrible humans can be.

Are you saying school shooters wreak more havoc than one of the most violent gangs in the world?

@kenetics

Are you saying school shooters wreak more havoc than one of the most violent gangs in the world?

Not at all. Just pointing out that the media calls out other races for being thugs, delinquents and criminals.

However when whites do the same things, media says that they were good kids, misunderstood or it must be the medication that made them do it.

The hypocrisy is embarrassing lol.

Just like with anything, there are push and pull factors. Even for adults, the appeal of criminality is strong when set against schlepping your ass to the bus and scraping by in thankless minimum wage work. But for kids, it's a whole different set of considerations, both economic and social. You can be schlep your ass to school and live in constant scarcity, or you can be a little mini Scarface, flashing cash and getting ass. For impressionable and ego-driven kids (I think people really lose sight of just how irrational and ego-sensitive we were as children - particularly for boys), it's a real problem.

The problem is bad parenting and broken families that don't have positive father figures.

Good parents raise 'schlepers' I guess.

The problem is bad parenting and broken families that don't have positive father figures.

Good parents raise 'schlepers' I guess.

Okay, I partially agree (although plenty of good parents work long hours at multiple jobs and have a hard time managing their kids, but broadly okay).

How do we fix that? Do you have any policy recommendations?

Not at all. Just pointing out that the media calls out other races for being thugs, delinquents and criminals.

However when whites do the same things, media says that they were good kids, misunderstood or it must be the medication that made them do it.

The hypocrisy is embarrassing lol.

PIkprkZ.gif

Back