MSG, the WWE and Genius of ROH

GSPSAKU

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
A bit late to the party but a friend just messaged me and showed me that NJPW and ROH has booked MSG for next year. The WWE has been the only wrestling company, in the current MSG's history, to ever hold a wrestling event there and now, ROH/NJPW will be holding their mega card there. A part of me isn't surprised due to the climate of pro wrestling here in the US in this day and age but another part is still very shocked; the WWE and MSG have been synonomous and MSG has been HOME to the WWE since 1968, when they opened up at the current location. Really, the MSG has basically been "exclusive" to the WWE since 1960 so to see the WWE publicly comment that it's okay, that is still a shocker.

In the mid 90s, WCW sneaked in and booked a card at MSG before MSG notified the WWE and the WWE booked MSG on the same night, which kicked WCW out of MSG. That was the only time any company got close to putting on a card since WCW had officially booked MSG. ROH/NJPW's G1 card is just the second wrestling card to have officially been booked at MSG that is not the WWE. Interesting to see how this plays out although ROH/NJPW is definitely taking a huge risk booking this card at MSG since it has become so expensive to rent.

Much like in the 90s with WCW, the WWE tried their best to block this from happening but this is why I said that the men behind ROH are geniuses. To pick Wrestlemania weekend to book MSG and booking it close to enough so fans could go to MSG and then to Wrestlemania will definitely help ROH and NJPW. Being WM weekend, the WWE simply couldn't block out ROH and now ROH will be wrestling Wrestlemania weekend at what has always been the WWE's home. Very interesting to say the least

Last edited:
Sinclair Broadcasting, the owners of ROH, also own more than 50 Fox affiliate stations around the country, I doubt WWE wanted to go to war with them over MSG right before they move Smackdown to Fox

If ROH plays this right, puts on a dynamite show and spends some money on the right advertising/promotions they can come outta this operating on a whole new level
They've already started getting mainstream press outta the deal

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...t-competitors-get-to-challenge-it-at-msg/amp/

No matter how it plays out Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks just got P-A-I-MUTHAFUCKIN-D!
Their contracts expire before this show and there will most certainly be a bidding war between the two sides
Vince would love to take away a few of NJPW/ROH biggest stars, in part to keep them off the show, but more importantly to teach them a lesson about trying to play with the big dogs

Last edited:
No matter how it plays out Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks just P-A-I-MUTHAFUCKIN-D!
Their contracts expire before this show and there will most certainly be a bidding war between the two sides
Vince would love to take away a few of NJPW/ROH biggest stars, in part to keep them off the show, but more importantly to teach them a lesson about trying to play with the big dogs

So we can expect a ROH/NJPW invasion angle sometime late next year?

Sinclair Broadcasting, the owners of ROH, also own more than 50 Fox affiliate stations around the country, I doubt WWE wanted to go to war with them over MSG right before they move Smackdown to Fox

If ROH plays this right, puts on a dynamite show and spends some money on the right advertising/promotions they can come outta this operating on a whole new level
They've already started getting mainstream press outta the deal

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...t-competitors-get-to-challenge-it-at-msg/amp/
WWE did try to block this but the deal has always been WWE gets first dibs and can kick out another wrestling promotion AS LONG AS THE WWE IS WILLING TO BOOK THE ARENA FOR THE SAME NIGHT. This was a no can do since the WWE already booked Mania and couldn’t afford to put on a small show there the night before. Well played by ROH

WWE did try to block this but the deal has always been WWE gets first dibs and can kick out another wrestling promotion AS LONG AS THE WWE IS WILLING TO BOOK THE ARENA FOR THE SAME NIGHT. This was a no can do since the WWE already booked Mania and couldn’t afford to put on a small show there the night before. Well played by ROH
They may have made a phonecall but they didnt put up a real serious fight
Regardless of what their actual deal says, WWE has a hundred year relationship with this building and things can always be renegotiated or worked around when you have that much history with each other
Sinclair has the money, the lawyers and most importantly the power to make things real uncomfortable for WWE at their new home on Fox and this fight at this time just wasnt worth it

I dont doubt that WWE initially trying to interfere with this is what pissed off Sinclair enough to get involved in this little ROH-MSG deal at all though

This is like when Lucha Underground got on Netflix....GAME CHANGER!

ROH and NJPW really need to capitalize on this opportunity.

The NXT: Takeover show going against it should be stacked.

With all this said, I hope the loss they take financially is worth whatever reward/s they receive because MSG is a mother to rent and broadcast from.

Thats why every wrestling fan should be rooting for this MSG show and All In to succeed
Healthy competition forces everyone to raise their game and give us fans better entertainment options for our viewing dollar

Not exactly. ROH aka Sinclair got the lawyers involved. MSG tried to pull but backed down.

I'm surprised they didn't just book NXT for MSG that night. Logistically, for fans in town for wrestlemania, it's a little easier to get to Penn station than Brooklyn from most of the hotel clusters.

Thats why every wrestling fan should be rooting for this MSG show and All In to succeed
Healthy competition forces everyone to raise their game and give us fans better entertainment options for our viewing dollar
ROH and NJPW aren't on major networks.

ROH and NJPW aren't on major networks.
Sinclair owns the largest broadcast network in America but they have no presence in the Bay Area so I cant watch my ni:eek::eek:a Cheeseburger and the Briscoes
Thats stupid and I hate it

Back