Muay Thai bagwork

Technique is pretty good. I know more boxing than the Muay Thai extras so I can't comment on that necessarily. That being said, you should treat the bag like an opponent. What I mean to say is you should be moving around it. Move side to side. Step in and out. Don't just stand in front of it and bang, otherwise you are working on bad habits that will carry over into your fight.

Use some rounds for visualization techniques.

Some moments of the extra bagwork I did yesterday. The first 2min are only boxing.Didn't really recover from the morning session. I'm still sore as hell.

Tomorrow I'll do some roadwork and padwork

Thanks! Here are some:

I try to. That's why I block, slip and feint from time to time. Combos are also done minding possible reactions from the opponent.

You finished 2 fights off with leg kicks, you are the sherdog version of Edison Barbosa. One question though, since I'm really curious, do you make enough money to support yourself off of pro muay thai? Or do you have a full or part time job?

Of the 4 clips posted the 1st was by leg kicks, but the other 3 were by punches.

I make money by giving classes and privates. The purses for pro muay thai fights here are peanuts, plus betting is illegal.

Of the 4 clips posted the 1st was by leg kicks, but the other 3 were by punches.

I make money by giving classes and privates. The purses for pro muay thai fights here are peanuts, plus betting is illegal.

You would think because it's a sport that betting would be legal but I guess not.

Some moments of the extra bagwork I did yesterday. The first 2min are only boxing.Didn't really recover from the morning session. I'm still sore as hell.

You have mad pop dude, you remind me a little of Aldo. What's your record? Most wins by KO/TKO?

Hey man, I was just sitting here doing nothing and I'm recovering from a flu, so I went all in on the things talked about earlier. Just let me know to fuck off if it's too much, or if you disagree as well.

Thanks! Here are some:

I'll just try to put it into context what I talked about earlier. As explosive as you are, you can be a little wide with your shots and your chin does come up at some crucial times. A great example of this here is at 1:16. You guys throw the lead hook at the exact same time. Notice how drawn back and overextended your shoulder is, arm almost straight trailing behind, leading with your face and notice how your chin is straight up in the air:

jVRd0kK.jpg

Even from this angle, you can see that your opponent has a sharper angle in his elbow and he should, all other things being equal, reach your head first. You still hit him first though, because you are naturally the faster guy, but you get tagged as well and look at the position you are in:

BLL9NAa.jpg

It's there in the bagwork too. If you tighten up that hook, keep your chin down and use a little more leg bend you would make the punch stronger and more defensively responsible. It's a good punch for you otherwise and I get that when you angle out while doing it it'll look a little different.

You managed to stop him with the same punch a little after because it was timed better and it shows the natural power you have.

Clinch work looked a little dodgy here, but I know you're working on it. You often fell into the clinch, or got trapped in it because you didn't try to angle out. It's pretty much over/underhook and arm around the neck and then hold or tussle.

Clinch looked a little better here, the double unders gave you more control over him. Is this at a later stage of your career? Someone who knows about clinching might be able to chime in.

At 2:55 in this fight there's a good example again of you being a little too wide and chin up. I like how you feint a little with the jab before you come in, but this is the position you end up in before you throw the looping right hand:

4SJmp8G.jpg

He doesn't capitalise because he's stiff arming you, and your speed let's you get away with it early, but it's a very vulnerable position. I know that stills can make anyone look vulnerable and are not necessarily accurate descriptions, but here it's to highlight a tendency.

4:12-4:16 is another example of you coming forward swinging with your hands down, which he doesn't try to counter, and then fall into the clinch instead of keeping your range when you have him against the ropes (I don't know if you wanted to engage in the clinch). Generally there is a lot of standing infront and walking in straight lines, but, notice at 3:20-3:30 how he reacts and the success you get when you start feinting more and even feinting the weight shifting and head movement slightly? That's what I meant as well about rhythm and setting it up a little.

It seems like often when you got in mid or close range you enganged in the clinch yourself, which is unfortunate because when you didn't and you exchanged there, you had success like at 7:01 (nice bodyshots) and 7:37 (before you held on to him). It was good, and he was open to especially the body with his high and long guard. Generally the last few mins it seems like you went to the body more and it was great to see. Did you notice he was open? It's evident that you have a lot of power in midrange, which is why it's unfortunate that you smother it sometimes with falling into the clinch when it's not your forte (yet!).

I think tightening up, keeping the chin down, giving more looks and setting stuff up more by being more active inbetween combination doing small things, AND staying at your range, would be good things to work on. It's just something to think about.

You have a lot of talent to work with!

Last edited:
@Sano I'm 14-6 (6 KO).

Thanks for the effort in doing all the analysis! The screenshots were very funny jaja

You see, I had a couple different phases throughout my short carreer and one of them was trying to be overly careful with technique and not knocking anybody out. I guess you can tell I work a lot on technique anyway, but for example, in that fight you screenshot the left hook I knew some stuff about my opponent, watched his previous fights so I kinda knew that I could knock him out. I just went for it. Guns blazing.

The other fight, there's a particular moment in the first round that the guy tried to protect his rib with his hand and my corner yelled at me "HE FELT THAT". You can see that at 1:34 in the video.

So I rushed a lot towards closing the distance, banging his body and clinching. Worked out good at the end. I also didn't really give much respect to his power.

Now, I don't mean to give excuses for my technical flaws, the goal is to improve, always. I'm just trying to give some context and show that I'm very willing to take risks if I feel I can end a fight.

Oh look at that... Double kicks... So fancy!

I started watching it around the 2min mark, because before that... you know... boxing...
But I still saw some of your front hooks. You don't rotate your front foot at all while throwing them, but you still got power behind them. Is that done intentionally? Some of them look a bit like shovel hook, so maybe that's the reason?

I really like your double kicks.
I like when you add a strike after your power roundhouse.
You "reset" a lot less after your kicks. (still some at the beginning)
Nice combos mixing kicks and punches.
Nice teeps.

Good power, good speed, good technique... I might have to watch it again to find some flaws/mistakes, so that I make myself look more knowledgeable...

Minus some points for getting distracted from the girl talking to you.

@biscuitsbrah 118 or 125, depending if I have a same day weigh in or not. But if you mean my walk around weight its 132 if I'm really fat jaja truly a giant

@ARIZE being naturally very externally rotated plays a role in circular punches, but rotating the foot is just a tool to move your weight from lead to rear and vice versa. I think that's it, based on what I learned from @Sinister posts

This is the girl "distracting" me, which also happens to be my girlfriend<Goldie11>

Last edited:
Looking at the video again I think another detail about the lead hooks is that I'm mostly throwing them from a internally rotated position (weight on front foot), either after a feint, slip or rear hand punch.

That adds power by increasing range of motion of the lead hook.

Rear knee rotates in before the hook, and out with it. Makes sense?

Makes sense?

Well to me, punches in general don't make any kind of sense, so...

More seriously now. I have a lousy long lead hook, that I use from time to time, a non existent long rear hook, but I' m pretty confident on my short hooks. But I don't use them in MT. I prefer elbows and knees when in that distance.
When I box from time to time, I will use a lot those short hooks. When it's a pure "horizontal" hook, I need the rotation to feel good power.
But when I shovel them, I can get that power without the rotation, but with a small step and a bending on the waist.
If we take example on the 2 you throw at 0:37 after the rear one, I feel that you could do a smaller movement with the hand, but still keep the power if you add the rotation.

On the other hand, I don't really like the idea of rotating the foot in a MT scenario, so it might be for the best you throw them that way.

To be clear, I don't say it's wrong, I'm just curious about it.

If you stay in front of the bag, throwing short body hooks from side to side from your basic stance, do you feel a difference in power with the rotation, or is it the same to you?

This is the girl "distracting" me, which also happens to be my girlfriend

Well she should know better, distracting you from a MT training session... She at least could do it while you were playing around with boxing.

"If you stay in front of the bag, throwing short body hooks from side to side from your basic stance, do you feel a difference in power with the rotation, or is it the same to you?"

If by rotation you mean only the pivoting of the foot, not really. The rotation that matters (hips/torso) doesn't necessarily need foot maneuvers.

They're tools to facilitate weight management while you punch, sure, but you can do it without them.

What can improve the power in my body hooks may be less leaning and keeping the feet planted.

And I bet my girl would punch your face off

Can somebody explain to me how to throw a better body hook, because no matter how much I trained it back when I was training in an actual fight gym, i never really could get as much power in it as a hook to the head.

Do I need to do some explosive exercise? Do I need more strength in my shoulders? Or do I need more core strength? Because I don't think I'm doing it wrong, but I just don't feel a lot of power in it.

Can somebody explain to me how to throw a better body hook, because no matter how much I trained it back when I was training in an actual fight gym, i never really could get as much power in it as a hook to the head.

Do I need to do some explosive exercise? Do I need more strength in my shoulders? Or do I need more core strength? Because I don't think I'm doing it wrong, but I just don't feel a lot of power in it.

The reason is because you need to squat low and STICK YOUR ASS OUT. I had the same problem

Ok thanks man.

This is not something most people notice but a lot of boxers KEEP their butts stuck out behind them- it's always ready to do any kind of punch with maximum force. You're not supposed to bend the back for force, just the hips and legs.

The spine takes more of a "J" shape instead of today's standard "S" shape. I was reading a scientific article about it and the J shape (standing straight spine with the butt stuck out behind) is supposed to be a lot more natural, healthier posture and how everyone used to keep their spines in ancient times, before we spent the days sitting at desks. Primitive tribes in modern times still keep their spines like this-- which is what caused it to be studied in the first place.

It (J shape spine) certainly helps transmit force a lot better when boxing, whether body punch or not. The straightness of it delivers better rotation from the hips when they fold and the spine turns. It also keeps better balance for the body overall, pretty sure

It's probably better for wrestling, too, but that's not so much my area

Last edited:
Back