Muay thai belt system

I think your on the wrong forum buddy!!!
If you want to find out about rape prevention classes, eye pokes and nut kicks I'm sure there's alot of sites out there.

Wtf

/this

Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums (origin - a website about sport fighting)
Training Discussion (node 1 - training for sport fighting)
Standup Technique (node 2 - standing training for sport fighting)
Muay thai belt system (node 3 - asking why there are no belts in sport thai fighting)

Haha, I almost got banned when they put up the "weapons and tactics" sub-forum, why the hell does a MMA website need a sub-forum about weapons...

Sport shooting and fencing, kendo, etc. :icon_lol:

Wow, I am an idiot! I never though of that... :redface:

However, you know that the forum has almost nothing to do with sport weapon usage. I always see "what shotgun should I use to protect my bedroom", "what knife do you carry every day"...

Wow, I am an idiot! I never though of that... :redface:

However, you know that the forum has almost nothing to do with sport weapon usage. I always see "what shotgun should I use to protect my bedroom", "what knife do you carry every day"...

Yeah, I was just joking and being sarcastic in light of what that subforum really discusses on a day-to-day basis haha.

Maybe I'll go and ask about which shinai is best to see how riled up they get (or to see how badly I'm ignored). :icon_chee

Since this thread got ressurected, I would like to ask what you guys think of the AITMA?

Since its a Thai org who employs a grading system similar to other martial arts belts...

http://www.aitma.de/curriculum_muaythai.htm

ps.: this is the site of the European coordinator office, but it is based in Thailand

Since this thread got ressurected, I would like to ask what you guys think of the AITMA?

Since its a Thai org who employs a grading system similar to other martial arts belts...

ps.: this is the site of the European coordinator office, but it is based in Thailand

never heard of it. this sounds dirty though:

http://www.aitma.de/aitma_muayerobic.htm

4_muayerobic_g.jpg

It is a muay boran school that does some Muay Thai. This is similar to what Chinese do, to be a Chinese national wushu hero, you need forms and sparring.

Yeah, I was just joking and being sarcastic in light of what that subforum really discusses on a day-to-day basis haha.

Maybe I'll go and ask about which shinai is best to see how riled up they get (or to see how badly I'm ignored). :icon_chee

I once started a nunchaku thread and boy were the jimmies rustled.

Thanks for bringing this up. I was unaware..

That said, Belts dont exist in muay thai. You just train and learn and keep getting better.

With all this talk about an art that traditionally had not belt ranking system, I wonder how many instructors are out there teaching an art like TKD or Karate but NOT using the belt system or even the gi? Hell, even Daniel-san didn't get his rank until he went to compete and Mr. Miyagi was like "black belt BIOTCH!"

There's no ranking system in Muay Thai whatsoever. Period. Go to Thailand and see for yourself if you don't believe me. Any Muay Thai schools that's not in Thailand that does that shit is clearly a mcdojo.

There's no ranking system in Muay Thai whatsoever. Period. Go to Thailand and see for yourself if you don't believe me. Any Muay Thai schools that's not in Thailand that does that shit is clearly a mcdojo.

That's a bit harsh and overgeneralizing isn't it? No, there isn't a belt system traditionally. As long as they aren't charging for the belts or testing or award ceremonies, I see no harm if its clear that its only to give a student a general baseline compared to whats expected of them. Would it be recognized elsewhere? No, but it's not used to compare yourself to others outside of gym. It's not different than a beginner, immediate, advanced, and pro class separations. It's not clearly one way or another because for one you haven't been to every muay thai school with belts in the entire world. Don't just label every mt school with belts a mcdojo when mcdojo's aim is to take as much money as possible from their customers.

I think belts are unnecessary for Muay Thai as it is for Boxing or Wrestling because of how the system in place already works. No need to add more.

With all this talk about an art that traditionally had not belt ranking system, I wonder how many instructors are out there teaching an art like TKD or Karate but NOT using the belt system or even the gi? Hell, even Daniel-san didn't get his rank until he went to compete and Mr. Miyagi was like "black belt BIOTCH!"

hahaha. Epic

The gym I go to has colored arm bands with the school name on them. When they have "grade-ups" or a test is when you "rank up". They rank different depending on what your goals are: training just for fitness, or if you want to become a "competitive athlete" or fighter.

We have timed mile runs, 2 minute drills for qty of speed punches, speed kicks etc. They use them as a fitness goal for students just for the fitness. Competitive athletes are also watched a lot more closely on form and techniques as well as beating own personal records. I kind of like the system actually.

When you get a green arm band, your eligible to start learning how to spar etc. Its a good gauge to see where ppl are at in the gym....or the one I belong to at least.

It gives a student plenty of time to learn the techniques, condition before they get into sparring. It prevents the new students for coming in and sparring with somebody after 5 classes getting their butts kicked in.

Muay Thai Levels of Proficiency
There is an international muay thai grading system that is accepted worldwide.

This system is as follows:
MUAY THAI LEVELS OF PROFICIENCY

Untitled-1.png.580508b012b1ae7e1e8074c640d4d4c2.png

Last edited:
Muay Thai Levels of Proficiency
There is an international muay thai grading system that is accepted worldwide.

This system is as follows:

MUAY THAI LEVELS OF PROFICIENCY

View attachment 90487

View attachment 90489
lol so u go from beginner to instructor. Like 11 levels of beginner to an instructor to a teacher to a master. How you know what level you are? I'm in a gym with no belt system.

My first MT school was a fight school. It had 4 non-official levels; you were viewed as one of them.
1. beginner
2. fought in a smoker
3. fought in amateurs
4. fought as a pro

One place I've seen people go literally batshit over belts is BJJ. I never trained in BJJ so I can't speak on it intelligibly. But it kind of reminds me of people pulling rank when I as in the military. I once had some douche who was a rank higher than me tell me during a disagreement, "Um, I think you need to remember you are talking to." haha, ok hoss.

My first MT school was a fight school. It had 4 non-official levels; you were viewed as one of them.
1. beginner
2. fought in a smoker
3. fought in amateurs
4. fought as a pro

One place I've seen people go literally batshit over belts is BJJ. I never trained in BJJ so I can't speak on it intelligibly. But it kind of reminds me of people pulling rank when I as in the military. I once had some douche who was a rank higher than me tell me during a disagreement, "Um, I think you need to remember you are talking to." haha, ok hoss.
Argument gets even crazier when a lower ranked competitive practitioner can equal a higher ranked hobbyist (competitive blue to hobbyist purple). That idea still rustles some old school practitioners.

Back