[Muay Thai] How to stop backing up while sparring?

curlyface

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I usually spar with the same partner as we are both fairly new to sparring but have been training for ~1.5 years. He is about the same height but has almost 50lbs on me. He tends to just walk me down when hes attacking whereas I try to move in and out when I'm on offence. We spar very light but he has very heavy limbs so I still feel it, obviously. Thing is, I have no idea how to defend except for moving backwards. So when we spar I'm kind of just running away every time he's attacking. When I try to move out to the side I can't shift my weight quick enough and he still catches me with whatever he was planning. If I try to just block and drop all my weight down on my rear foot he continues moving forward until he is in knee range and I start eating knees. What can I do in this situation? Is my only option to learn how to move to the side and circle out? What's a good way to learn to do this? I feel like I'm not doing it effectively at all and would love to see a slow-mo or some drills or something.

The other thing I've been trying is teeps but I keep hitting his elbows which just destroys my toes, if I teep any lower I hit him in the groin or very close. Also, again, timing is super tough but this will just take practice. The toe breaking is more of the issue here.

I usually spar with the same partner as we are both fairly new to sparring but have been training for ~1.5 years. He is about the same height but has almost 50lbs on me. He tends to just walk me down when hes attacking whereas I try to move in and out when I'm on offence. We spar very light but he has very heavy limbs so I still feel it, obviously. Thing is, I have no idea how to defend except for moving backwards. So when we spar I'm kind of just running away every time he's attacking. When I try to move out to the side I can't shift my weight quick enough and he still catches me with whatever he was planning. If I try to just block and drop all my weight down on my rear foot he continues moving forward until he is in knee range and I start eating knees. What can I do in this situation? Is my only option to learn how to move to the side and circle out? What's a good way to learn to do this? I feel like I'm not doing it effectively at all and would love to see a slow-mo or some drills or something.

The other thing I've been trying is teeps but I keep hitting his elbows which just destroys my toes, if I teep any lower I hit him in the groin or very close. Also, again, timing is super tough but this will just take practice. The toe breaking is more of the issue here.

This takes time. It took me a bit over a year before getting it down to my instincts to press forward like a steamroller. So about after my 3rd fight, it started to click with me. Everyone learns different, and has different personalities that contribute to this. You may get it down after 2 months, who knows.

The basics is at this stage is being the typical "dutch" style fighter. Stand firm and solid with your block, then retaliate ASAP. Usually kick,3,2 is a nice one, then press forward. Aim to let no more than 3 strikes off you.

Currently his pressure and base is making you weary, and it works well with his ring cutting. I kinda of know this, because I do it myself as well.

He sounds a bit more exp'd than you based on your post. He knows about his ranges and how to attack. As in when it gets clinch range, he's throwing knees, and outside hes fighting outside.

Right now, although it sucks, you need to fire back ASAP, he's getting a feel that you're shelling up longer than you should and is unloading knees on you while coming forward. If you fire back more frequently, it puts him on his toes and he'll start to think and in turn his offense will cool down.

As for teeps hitting elbows, either you're kicking too slow (which becomes a telegraph) or spamming it. Look at his chest (if you aren't already), and when you see a movement, and you;re in range, fire the teep. Its a teep so its not damaging, so you can throw them a bit harder than normal.

Eventually when you get the basics down, you'll add more advanced stuff to your repertoire. Though, try to take angles on him. Think of it as you're both cars headed for a collision, you're a sedan and he's a 4x4. Colliding head one ends in his advantage, look to T-bone to derail him. Work at it so you aren't off balanced, which makes a weak base if you do.

This takes time. It took me a bit over a year before getting it down to my instincts to press forward like a steamroller. So about after my 3rd fight, it started to click with me. Everyone learns different, and has different personalities that contribute to this. You may get it down after 2 months, who knows.

The basics is at this stage is being the typical "dutch" style fighter. Stand firm and solid with your block, then retaliate ASAP. Usually kick,3,2 is a nice one, then press forward. Aim to let no more than 3 strikes off you.

Currently his pressure and base is making you weary, and it works well with his ring cutting. I kinda of know this, because I do it myself as well.

He sounds a bit more exp'd than you based on your post. He knows about his ranges and how to attack. As in when it gets clinch range, he's throwing knees, and outside hes fighting outside.

Right now, although it sucks, you need to fire back ASAP, he's getting a feel that you're shelling up longer than you should and is unloading knees on you while coming forward. If you fire back more frequently, it puts him on his toes and he'll start to think and in turn his offense will cool down.

As for teeps hitting elbows, either you're kicking too slow (which becomes a telegraph) or spamming it. Look at his chest (if you aren't already), and when you see a movement, and you;re in range, fire the teep. Its a teep so its not damaging, so you can throw them a bit harder than normal.

Eventually when you get the basics down, you'll add more advanced stuff to your repertoire. Though, try to take angles on him. Think of it as you're both cars headed for a collision, you're a sedan and he's a 4x4. Colliding head one ends in his advantage, look to T-bone to derail him. Work at it so you aren't off balanced, which makes a weak base if you do.

Awesome reply, thanks a lot!

Firstly, what is Kick, 3, 2? I understand it's a combo but not sure what 3, 2 are? I assume 2 is straight punch and 3 is knee maybe? He isn't more experienced (I'd venture to say less) but he is significantly bigger (I'm 145 and hes 190+) so when he's walking toward me and starts attacking I just start backing up. I will definitely try the dutch style holding my ground. I know this is what needs to be done. Also, will start firing back quicker so that he can't just unload with his knees.

Regarding the teeps, I think maybe his block is just a little too low or he's blocking my teeps as he comes in with his elbows. Really hurts when I hit his elbows so I kind of stopped throwing teeps (as some of the time, I'll teep his elbow accidentally in the very first round of sparring and I'm out for that day as my toe feels broken, lol).

Love the analogy of the 4x4 vs sedan, that's exactly what's happening here. Working on my side movement but have some issues with weight transfer and doing it quick enough. Trying to figure out some footwork drills to be able to move out of the 4x4's way quicker cause as of right now I'm not moving fast enough and he's just clipping me with the shots he planned all along.

Awesome reply, thanks a lot!

Firstly, what is Kick, 3, 2? I understand it's a combo but not sure what 3, 2 are? I assume 2 is straight punch and 3 is knee maybe? He isn't more experienced (I'd venture to say less) but he is significantly bigger (I'm 145 and hes 190+) so when he's walking toward me and starts attacking I just start backing up. I will definitely try the dutch style holding my ground. I know this is what needs to be done. Also, will start firing back quicker so that he can't just unload with his knees.

Regarding the teeps, I think maybe his block is just a little too low or he's blocking my teeps as he comes in with his elbows. Really hurts when I hit his elbows so I kind of stopped throwing teeps (as some of the time, I'll teep his elbow accidentally in the very first round of sparring and I'm out for that day as my toe feels broken, lol).

Love the analogy of the 4x4 vs sedan, that's exactly what's happening here. Working on my side movement but have some issues with weight transfer and doing it quick enough. Trying to figure out some footwork drills to be able to move out of the 4x4's way quicker cause as of right now I'm not moving fast enough and he's just clipping me with the shots he planned all along.
3 is a hook. So it would be: leg kick (while keeping your weight forward so you won't be off balanced from his punches), hook, cross. Use the return of the kick to load the hook

If you're orthodox, a pivot is usually (using your lead leg - left):
-step out
-turn around the rear to face at an angle.

Think of it like a compass, where your lead leg is the anchor and everything else circles around

The other side is a bit trickier, I'm sure a boxer will provide better input there. I usually just move out and turn in.

Walk forward while punching
UFCBrazil-VitorBelfortXWanderleiSilva-BoxingBlast400-sg.gif

3 is a hook. So it would be: leg kick (while keeping your weight forward so you won't be off balanced from his punches), hook, cross. Use the return of the kick to load the hook

If you're orthodox, a pivot is usually (using your lead leg - left):
-step out
-turn around the rear to face at an angle.

Think of it like a compass, where your lead leg is the anchor and everything else circles around

The other side is a bit trickier, I'm sure a boxer will provide better input there. I usually just move out and turn in.

My stance is orthodox:

So when you say "Step out" you mean step forward with the right foot so it's about level with the left foot and then turn and bring the left foot back so we're in southpaw now, or do we step out past the left foot so we're automatically in southpaw? Just trying it out in my office right now, lol.

My stance is orthodox:

So when you say "Step out" you mean step forward with the right foot so it's about level with the left foot and then turn and bring the left foot back so we're in southpaw now, or do we step out past the left foot so we're automatically in southpaw? Just trying it out in my office right now, lol.
Yeah, so if you want to pivot out to the right side, you step out (end in SP), then on the turn you go back to orthodox. It'll feel "blocky" and stiff at first, but once you get a hang of it, it will be more fluid and dynamic

uZtwK2L.png

The other thing I've been trying is teeps but I keep hitting his elbows which just destroys my toes, if I teep any lower I hit him in the groin or very close.

Teeping around the waist line, hips etc is not a foul. And is a very legit technique to stop aggressive opponents.

Watch that analysis, but specially for my point, watch from 1:00 and pay attention on where Buakaw lands his teeps, and how that makes his opponent react.

Yeah, so if you want to pivot out to the right side, you step out (end in SP), then on the turn you go back to orthodox. It'll feel "blocky" and stiff at first, but once you get a hang of it, it will be more fluid and dynamic

uZtwK2L.png

This diagram, as simple as it is, really helped me so thank you. I was doing step 2 but not step 3, or going straight to step 3. I just tried it and it makes perfect sense how it should be done. I'm gonna practice the shit out of this step.

Did 90min of light sparring yesterday practicing some of the stuff we discussed and figured out how to make the teeps work. Also worked on holding my ground which went better. I realized I don't have to retreat so much, I can just pull my rear leg back just enough where his shots miss my head but I can spring back off my rear foot for the loaded shot I have now. Before I was moving both feet back which was causing me to retreat.

I've been pivoting around the office all day, thanks guys. Walked into a meeting sideways to evade the swinging door.

I've been pivoting around the office all day, thanks guys. Walked into a meeting sideways to evade the swinging door.
lol, when I first started, I body kicked the fridge, thought no was around.... turns out there was a maintenance guy around the corner.

Then there was the time I shadow boxed in the shower, and for some reason went for a kick, and nearly smashed my head on the ceramic

Also, explain to your training partner that because it is light sparring eating shots as your marching in is not a problem, not so good in an actual fight.

Light sparring in Muay Thai should be more about technique and establishing a rhythm, not marching down an opponent, especially a lighter one at that.

If he's constantly walking you down and bullying you with his size, he's probably not a good training partner to practice with (unless you are practicing at fighting off dudes that outweigh you by 45lbs or more).

Unless you have some sort of lightning fast teep, don't just throw it out when your opponent is just staring at you in his stance. Use fake teeps to draw out what his counter to it will be and then do something off of that. Maybe try to get good at a fake teep to roundhouse to keep him honest...not exactly what I'm talking about but close enough:

Probably a dick move in sparring but feel free to occasionally throw a teep at his face (without landing) to let him know that you could but you aren't going to.

Also, explain to your training partner that because it is light sparring eating shots as your marching in is not a problem, not so good in an actual fight.

Light sparring in Muay Thai should be more about technique and establishing a rhythm, not marching down an opponent, especially a lighter one at that.

Maybe his partner plans on fighting a dude that is 145? :confused:

Teeping around the waist line, hips etc is not a foul. And is a very legit technique to stop aggressive opponents.

Watch that analysis, but specially for my point, watch from 1:00 and pay attention on where Buakaw lands his teeps, and how that makes his opponent react.

The hip area is the best area to teep. That's their center line of gravity. That's how you stop people on their track. Teeping the chest/abs is good but takes power. You teep the hip, you stop them completely.

i dont know why you wanna move forward against some 200 lb guy, id be sliding back and waiting to counter his strikes the entire time. I dont see the problem

switch to a 120 lb sparring partner. you'll be moving forward

You need to set up your pivots with movement. What I mean is, if your circling to the left and hes about to catch you, instead of pivoting to the left where hes anticipating your movement, pivot right and change directions suddenly, that will mess up his rhythm. Pivoting right is a bit trickier, but I like how Richard Abril did it vs Brandon Rios, he would extend his lead hand and slip right then pivot while posting his hand on Rios face, nullifying most of his attacks, and it leaves you in a perfect position to counter with the right.

Since this is MT you could also use oblique kicks to the thigh, you can really screw up his weight shifting for punches and stop his momentum with that. Also for defensive teeps I find it better to just go to southpaw after throwing them, you can throw them from much closer like that, and like freaky said dont aim for the chest but go for the hips, its much harder to parry/scoop and easier to land, and it will still stop them on their tracks.

Train the way you fight. Have a good mitt holder throw strikes and move forward on you while you hit pads

Back