MUAY THAI IS AN OLYMPIC SPORT

the real deal here is about Cheerleading,it´s time to turn it in a Olympic sport!

I bet that in less than 50 years,celebrities dance competitions for Housewife-tv programs will be ruled by Olympics also

Cheerleading has 10 times more registered athletes than muay thai.

A level > C Level

For real, though.

Don't see it happening, but it would be nice to see thailand getting some free gold medals.

For real, though.

Don't see it happening, but it would be nice to see thailand getting some free gold medals.

They won't...in SEA game I think they only allow low-level Thai with very few fights to compete, which is why other countries win most medals.

If it does I'm definitely going to try out and represent England.

It will dilute and neuter the sport while broadening its appeal- much like what happened to TKD and judo.

Olympic audiences won't want to see faces torn open from elbows.

See world combat games. Wont be much different.

They won't...in SEA game I think they only allow low-level Thai with very few fights to compete, which is why other countries win most medals.

Do you seriously think they would send low-level thais to represent their country in their national sport, in the olympics? Eh.

Although I've won gold for my country in IFMA I'm not a fan of MT in the olympics, watered down rules with something like a 1-point each whichever strike lands without taking consideration to the finer points. Meh

Isn't there a controversy where countries like Cambodia, Myanmar and other SEA don't like the idea of "Muay Thai" in international amateur competition? Since all of the countries involved have a similar martial art but under different names, and 'Muay THAI' would be giving prominence to Thailand over the others'?

Frankly its irresponsible that the IOC would make an allowance for such an injury causing competition. Given the lack of standard regulations and how so many kids are effectively gangpressed into it from social pressure, its not really a sport so much as a darwinian bloodbath.

But the thing about muay thai sounds promising though!

the real deal here is about Cheerleading,it´s time to turn it in a Olympic sport!

I instantly assumed you were kidding and now I'm shocked to find out that you were serious about cheerleading. these are strange times we live in...

Isn't there a controversy where countries like Cambodia, Myanmar and other SEA don't like the idea of "Muay Thai" in international amateur competition? Since all of the countries involved have a similar martial art but under different names, and 'Muay THAI' would be giving prominence to Thailand over the others'?

it's called muaythai now.

it would be weird to enter the sport with the name 'muay thai'

the word 'thai' in it will make it seem biased on that stage.

I instantly assumed you were kidding and now I'm shocked to find out that you were serious about cheerleading. these are strange times we live in...

it's called muaythai now.

So you're telling me cambodia, laos and myanmar are cool with it?

How about "Karate" and "Judo" or "TKD" it is a national martial art of course its name going to suggest its origin.

So you're telling me cambodia, laos and myanmar are cool with it?
It is not like they are the one who has been lobbying to get the sport into the olympics, so they can't really complain.

How about "Karate" and "Judo" or "TKD" it is a national martial art of course its name going to suggest its origin.

Those are martial arts that don't necessarily conflict with any other countries's claim of originating the same/similar sport. Nobody in Russia is saying they invented Judo, nor anybody in China saying they have an identical form of Karate but with a different name/history.

That is however, the case with Muay Thai, Muay Lao, Pradal Serey or Lethwei. Its a hotly contested topic in Cambodia especially.

It is not like they are the one who has been lobbying to get the sport into the olympics, so they can't really complain.

Cambodia has been advocating the sport since the 1990s.

The Muay Thai vs everyone else, essentially boils down to politics and economy. Thailand, despite its dozens of coups, has always been in the West's good grace. Even providing troops in conflicts around the region (Vietnam, Korea).

Meanwhile, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar have been historically isolated countries due to geopolitics. Hence, less tourists, and less foreigner picking up those styles over Muay Thai. Everybody knows Thailand is a tourist hotspot. Not the same for the other countries, several which have/had been under sanctions.

and Greco-Roman wrestling is biased in favor of Greeks and Romans!

they have been saying this forever! would be great if it happened.

I dont see how it would "water it down"

boxing is in the olympics and isnt watered down.

Back