Muay Thai rules at lumpinee stadium

Cup shots, legal. Face kicks to downing opponent, legal. Hair pulling illegal. How do you pull hair with gloves.

Most stuff goes. There is a grey area for some strikes. Groin strikes are frowned upon but you are supposed to wear a steel cup anyways. You can probably get away with a teep to that area but they will call you out if you consistently knee or kick to the groin. Buakaw was a dick teeper. He sort of got away with it in kickboxing too. Knee and Spine is another area you aren't supposed to target but it happens anyways. You can't grab/break the lower back in the clinch or try a hip toss.

There are new rules to abolish gambling. I believe you can't take off on the 5th round anymore or you will get a DQ.

Most stuff goes. There is a grey area for some strikes. Groin strikes are frowned upon but you are supposed to wear a steel cup anyways. You can probably get away with a teep to that area but they will call you out if you consistently knee or kick to the groin. Buakaw was a dick teeper. He sort of got away with it in kickboxing too. Knee and Spine is another area you aren't supposed to target but it happens anyways. You can't grab/break the lower back in the clinch or try a hip toss.

There are new rules to abolish gambling. I believe you can't take off on the 5th round anymore or you will get a DQ.
I am also curious about the throwing rules. I have read many things but over the years I have seen every judo throw without a warning from the ref, except maybe kata guruma seoi nage or tomoe nage lol.

I am also curious about the throwing rules. I have read many things but over the years I have seen every judo throw without a warning from the ref, except maybe kata guruma seoi nage or tomoe nage lol.
They will not penalize but probably not score it. Here are the official rules regarding illegal throws.

It's not really clear but if you sort of know what is good or not if you practice the sport or watch it enough. It's pretty much it's a foul only when someone calls it. They will let stuff slide all the time. For example like those MMA bodylock takedowns are somewhat illegal since they break the back but they might those slide if you can hip/thigh bump them before you throw.

• wrapping your leg around the leg of an opponent from the inside or the outside and forcing them to the canvas
  • locking an opponent’s neck and executing a hip to shoulder or hip throw
  • grabbing the opponent’s hip in a waist lock and throwing using a hip throw
  • grabbing an opponent’s arm, turning and using the calf and back of the thigh (hamstring muscle group) to sweep an opponent’s legs from under them
  • grabbing an opponent and falling backward to throw the opponent
  • a rugby style tackle on the legs and waist of an opponent
  • grabbing an opponent’s waist from behind, then, placing a leg between the opponent’s legs, pulling the opponent backwards over the leg and hip
  • grabbing an opponent from below the waist, lifting and throwing
  • catching an opponent’s leg and using the other arm to push them off balance while taking more than two steps forward (“ploughing” or “plowing”)
  • catching an opponent’s leg and using the calf muscle to trip/sweep them off their feet
  • tripping the opponent with the ankle
  • leg sweeping the opponent using the calf or inside of the foot
  • trapping the opponent’s arms in a waist lock, lifting them to throw
  • grabbing an opponent from behind, lifting to throw
  • grabbing around an opponent’s lower spine and hyper-extending their back in a “back breaking” move

Last edited:
They will not penalize but probably not score it. Here are the official rules.

It's not really clear but if you sort of know what is good or not if you practice the sport or watch it enough. It's pretty much it's a foul only when someone calls it. They will let stuff slide all the time. For example like those MMA bodylock takedowns are somewhat illegal since they break the back but they might those slide if you can hip/thigh bump them before you throw.

• wrapping your leg around the leg of an opponent from the inside or the outside and forcing them to the canvas
  • locking an opponent’s neck and executing a hip to shoulder or hip throw
  • grabbing the opponent’s hip in a waist lock and throwing using a hip throw
  • grabbing an opponent’s arm, turning and using the calf and back of the thigh (hamstring muscle group) to sweep an opponent’s legs from under them
  • grabbing an opponent and falling backward to throw the opponent
  • a rugby style tackle on the legs and waist of an opponent
  • grabbing an opponent’s waist from behind, then, placing a leg between the opponent’s legs, pulling the opponent backwards over the leg and hip
  • grabbing an opponent from below the waist, lifting and throwing
  • catching an opponent’s leg and using the other arm to push them off balance while taking more than two steps forward (“ploughing” or “plowing”)
  • catching an opponent’s leg and using the calf muscle to trip/sweep them off their feet
  • tripping the opponent with the ankle
  • leg sweeping the opponent using the calf or inside of the foot
  • trapping the opponent’s arms in a waist lock, lifting them to throw
  • grabbing an opponent from behind, lifting to throw
  • grabbing around an opponent’s lower spine and hyper-extending their back in a “back breaking” move
Right ^^^ that s what i mean. I have seen most of these in stadium MT. Although not very common at all, they still happen and ref typically dgaf.

TBH I don t like rules that are not enforced because it gives an advantage to the person using them. To be repeatedly thrown on your ass takes a lot of morale away from you.

Back