Muay Thai scoring outside of Thailand

Thanks, that really helps with your credibility.

And don't get it twisted, @Cocakillbana isn't from Thailand he's some white boy from the midwest...

What credibility ?

Thailand is awesome
Good food exotic place friendly people touristic oriented everyone does muay thai inexpensive sounds like a dream vacation for a guy like me

The score in Thailand is different first come kick, then knee, elbow and then punch. Judges have to compare the performance of two boxers and determine who is the strongest in Muay Thai terms.

The rest of the world follows the scoring system either IFMA or WMF

Some organizations in Brazil follow the Thai scoring system

Last edited:
The score in Thailand is different first come kick, then knee, elbow and then punch. Judges have to compare the performance of two boxers and determine who is the strongest in Muay Thai terms.

The rest of the world follows the scoring system either IFMA or WMF

Some organizations in Brazil follow the Thai scoring system

você é o cara que escreveu isso no fórum do PVT?

"Aqui no Brasil te a Chute Boxe que luta muaythai melhor que os Tailandeses Andreson Silva Vanderlei Silva, Ninja e Shogun ali e muaythai meu cubade"

Se eu traduzir isso você vai virar a piada do ano do sherdog.

What credibility ?

The Muay Thai elitists of this forum don't see Buakaw as one of the best in Muay Thai because he didn't accomplish as much as some others in the stadiums when younger and his fame has been built from fighting in K-1 and later against farangs in MT, so if you're a Buakaw fan you could be perceived as someone who's a "noob" and doesn't know anything about the "real" Muay Thai fighters. They also somehow feel that it's outrageous that Buakaw is so popular worldwide while there are better stadium fighters out there who are unknown outside of the stadium MT scene.

Personally I have no shame in saying I'm a fan of Buakaw, so fuck them.

The Muay Thai elitists of this forum don't see Buakaw as one of the best in Muay Thai because he didn't accomplish as much as some others in the stadiums when younger and his fame has been built from fighting in K-1 and later against farangs in MT, so if you're a Buakaw fan you could be perceived as someone who's a "noob" and doesn't know anything about the "real" Muay Thai fighters. They also somehow feel that it's outrageous that Buakaw is so popular worldwide while there are better stadium fighters out there who are unknown outside of the stadium MT scene.

I care

They put money in my pocket feed my family

On a side note I am a Muay Thai noob I never watch Muay Thai I only watch kickboxing. But if you like Muay Thai you like kickboxing and vice verse

It's kickboxing with elbows and no break up in the clinch

And I hate to be a sports fan elitist I rather be a elitist trough my skill then trough my eyes on the screen

I wanna be elite at the gym

Not youtube comment section elite

Eh, no. Speak for yourself. That wasn't my implication at all. I have a framed poster of Buakaw on my wall and he is the one that got me into Kickboxing/Muay Thai.

However, that post came off like "Believe me I love black people, I listen to Jay Z all the time." and had obvious noob implications, which were subsequently admitted to...

Eh, no. Speak for yourself. That wasn't my implication at all. I have a framed poster of Buakaw on my wall and he is the one that got me into Kickboxing/Muay Thai.

However, that post came off like "Believe me I love black people, I listen to Jay Z all the time." and had obvious noob implications, which were subsequently admitted to...

You might not be one of those I'm talking about but you know all too well that a few people on this forum think exactly that way :)

You asked about "In what other sport does the world choose a different direction for the sport than the country that invented it, and the country that makes up 99% of the best competitors?"

MMA was an example.

No, MMA is not an example. It doesn't describe my post at all.

It's irrelevant if the country that invented the sport originally still makes up for a high percentage of the best competitors - by the way that 99% figure that you threw in there has completely been pulled out of your ass and is based on no real calculation.

If you want another example than MMA, how about Football? Both American Football and Australian Football were created based on the real sport of Football originally invented in England centuries ago and which has probably been the most popular team sport worldwide for a very long time already and still is today.

There are other examples out there where a popular sport was invented in a country ages ago and then was copied by another country which modified the rules and scoring.

The 99% figure wasn't meant to be precise, though it's not far off even if it isn't correct. The rest of the collective world produces about one fighter per decade who is able to do what Thais do every second (this is a figure of speech).

The sports you describe have wholly separated and moved because the talent of an area was enriched and became dominant of meaningful in that sport. Muay Thai does not relate to this.

The Muay Thai elitists of this forum don't see Buakaw as one of the best in Muay Thai because he didn't accomplish as much

How dare they go about this with common sense!

They also somehow feel that it's outrageous that Buakaw is so popular worldwide while there are better stadium fighters out there who are unknown outside of the stadium MT scene.

Sometimes it's not so much about someone being right about something, but more about how they express it, communicate it and come across by doing so.

The 99% figure wasn't meant to be precise, though it's not far off even if it isn't correct.

Maths and numbers are facts and calculations, don't put numbers down if they come out of your ass, just say "the majority" instead.

The rest of the collective world produces about one fighter per decade who is able to do what Thais do every second (this is a figure of speech).

And here again you're throwing some other fictive figures with time thrown in. Read that sentence you just wrote again, it doesn't make any fucking sense.

The sports you describe have wholly separated and moved because the talent of an area was enriched and became dominant of meaningful in that sport. Muay Thai does not relate to this.

Every sport is different so you'll always tell me it's not like Muay Thai. No shit sherlock. The reality is, Muay Thai isn't the only sport where the scoring (and/or rules) have changed from country to country through time. However Muay Thai in the Thai stadiums is one of the very few sports where gambling dictates how the sport is played, that's a fact.

Maths and numbers are facts and calculations, don't put numbers down if they come out of your ass, just say "the majority" instead.
Lets see Coca compile a Top 100 again...

Who on the forum has a problem with someone being a fan of Buakaw? There are fighters posted in the thailand thread who haven't achieved what Buakaw did in the stadiums. People only get called out when they overrate him.

Yeah people don't like it when people put Buakaw and Dekkers as GOATS. He is still highly regarded though.

You've really never heard people loosely say "99% of the time" or "99%________" as a replacement for majority?

And here again you're throwing some other fictive figures with time thrown in. Read that sentence you just wrote again, it doesn't make any fucking sense.

I intentionally put in those parenthesis with "this is a figure of speech" to make sure you wouldn't take "every second" literally, to make sure you would get it–and you still didn't. 0-2. Maffs...

Every sport is different so you'll always tell me it's not like Muay Thai. No shit sherlock. The reality is, Muay Thai isn't the only sport where the scoring (and/or rules) have changed from country to country through time. However Muay Thai in the Thai stadiums is one of the very few sports where gambling dictates how the sport is played, that's a fact.

I'd have no problem conceding, but you're unable to give an example of a sport that is even remotely similar to Muay Thai in its position in the world compared to its initial and current standing.

Again, give me an example of a sport where one country is dominant above all else, but the rest of the world goes in a different direction (I've given plenty examples of how this goes beyond judging), yet still thinks what they're doing is the same as the dominant country.

Who on the forum has a problem with someone being a fan of Buakaw?

Nobody

That poster can't recognize the difference between "Buakaw is overrated as a Muay Thai fighter" and "lol at someone being a fan of Buakaw."

There are instances of the sports that I follow (cricket, rugby league) changing small rules here and there but to me that's much different to whats happened in certain cases with muay thai. Watch Sangtiennoi/Dekkers 3 for instance, that wasn't scored anything like a muay thai fight. It felt arrogant to me for these guys to set up an event and not even try to score it properly. There are western judges that have gone to effort of understanding thai scoring like Tony Myers....

Think of if Mayweather promotions did an MMA event and the judging criterion didn't score takedowns or submission attempts, they wouldn't have any credibility in the mma world.

Last edited:
If you want another example than MMA, how about Football? Both American Football and Australian Football were created based on the real sport of Football originally invented in England centuries ago and which has probably been the most popular team sport worldwide for a very long time already and still is today.

These examples are rather telling. Nobody thinks that American football or Australian football or Soccer are the same sport at all. But it isn't unusual for people to win "muay thai" titles or be seen great "muay thai" fighters without actually having competed in anything remotely like muay thai.

MMA was an example.

But in MMA the vast majority of people just try and follow the unified rules, because that is what the UFC follows. And they follow the UFC because they're the premier organization, they have vast majority of the talent, put on all the important events, and have a deeper history in the sport than almost anyone, so they get to set the standard.

Back