Muay Thai scoring outside of Thailand

Do you guys consider japanese kickboxing muay thai or kickboxing? Everything is scored equal but technique wise everything goes like in muay thai. Example of this rules: KNOCK OUT (No kick no life).
Both American Football and Australian Football were created based on the real sport of Football originally invented in England centuries ago and which has probably been the most popular team sport worldwide for a very long time already and still is today.
American and Australian football are created out of rugby.

Do you guys consider japanese kickboxing muay thai or kickboxing? Everything is scored equal but technique wise everything goes like in muay thai. Example of this rules: KNOCK OUT (No kick no life).

i consider it japanese kickboxing

These examples are rather telling. Nobody thinks that American football or Australian football or Soccer are the same sport at all. But it isn't unusual for people to win "muay thai" titles or be seen great "muay thai" fighters without actually having competed in anything remotely like muay thai.

Muay Thai is a lot more underground and less popular than Football worldwide. You could compare it to Snooker and its different variations and scoring worldwide. Most people would watch different types of snooker and thinks it's the same sport.

But in MMA the vast majority of people just try and follow the unified rules, because that is what the UFC follows. And they follow the UFC because they're the premier organization, they have vast majority of the talent, put on all the important events, and have a deeper history in the sport than almost anyone, so they get to set the standard.

The unified rules of MMA and its scoring isn't based around gambling though.

They were inspired out of both Football and Rugby actually, I'll let you do your own bit of research.

i consider it japanese kickboxing
Ok but then logically at most countries it is japanese kickboxing and not muay thai. Because not everywhere is scoring system like in Thailand.

Ok but then logically at most countries it is japanese kickboxing and not muay thai. Because not everywhere is scoring system like in Thailand.
It's called Kickboxing in Japan because that's what they themselves call it. It is heavily influenced by Muay Thai because of its Kyokushin vs Muay Thai origins. "Japanese Kickboxing" isn't really a sport it's just how we distinguish it. It wouldn't make sense to call a Muay Thai event in France "Japanese Kickboxing" because their is absolutely no connection to Japan. Muay Thai is a sport. It's a set of rules that define the sport rather than "scoring system" because even that can be subjective. Even that has changed in Thailand due to the influence of gambling...

It's called Kickboxing in Japan because that's what they themselves call it. It is heavily influenced by Muay Thai because of its Kyokushin vs Muay Thai origins. "Japanese Kickboxing" isn't really a sport it's just how we distinguish it. It wouldn't make sense to call a Muay Thai event in France "Japanese Kickboxing" because their is absolutely no connection to Japan. Muay Thai is a sport. It's a set of rules that define the sport rather than "scoring system" because even that can be subjective. Even that has changed in Thailand due to the influence of gambling...
So at the end it's muay thai they just call it kickboxing right? Is there any other differences between the two other than scoring and traditions? And btw in one match between japanese and thai fighter in KNOCK OUT they both did wai kru before the match.

So at the end it's muay thai they just call it kickboxing right? Is there any other differences between the two other than scoring and traditions? And btw in one match between japanese and thai fighter in KNOCK OUT they both did wai kru before the match.
Training methods are different.

I just copy what @Karaev fan wrote in another thread about the distinction.

What you are calling "oriental style KB" predates American kickboxing. The Japan Kickboxing Commission was founded in 1966 and Noguchi coined the phrase "kickboxing" then. PKA was founded a decade later.

There is also no direct lineage between "oriental style KB" and K-1 rules. "Oriental style kickboxing" split into a hundred pieces, but continued to be its own thing with full clinch and elbows. K-1 is a separate mutation from the Seidokaikan style of karate designed to be a TV friendly full contact ruleset without elbows. "Kickboxers" in Japan (e.g. Ishii Hiroki, Genji Umeno) have traditionally disdained K-1 as a mainstream diversion from their mission of competing with muay thai. It was a huge scandal when Yoshihiro Sato abandoned that to go to K-1.

Anyone here from Thailand? If there is someone what Thai people think about japanese kickboxing?
Training methods are different.
So are in other countries in most cases. I don't think that training methods are like in Thailand in average USA (as example) gym.

Anyone here from Thailand? If there is someone what Thai people think about japanese kickboxing?

So are in other countries in most cases. I don't think that training methods are like in Thailand in average USA (as example) gym.
I can't distinguish a "USA" style of muay thai. The biggest common denominator from what i've seen is that they're mostly low level.

Well every gym has their own style and fighters within the gyms have their own styles. It's all about perception though. Generally i can tell if someone trained in thailand, japan, netherlands or china.

Then again every promotion has their own set of rules, scoring and definitions of their sport.

I think that most people in this forum use these definitions

1. Stadium muay thai: pretty obvious - rules and scoring according to the major thai stadiums. Mostly thai fighters. Perhaps even stadium title fights abroad can count in here. Raja title fights are fought for quite often in japan.

2. Non stadium muay thai: Generally it varies alot and the judging can be inconsistent but includes promotions such as top king, kunlun fight with full thai rules, max muay thai etc. Includes fighters from many nationalities and different training backgrounds but most succesful westerners trained in thailand.

3. Japanese kickboxing: pretty similar to the #2 but consists mainly of japanese fighters fighting each other in japan and most people on the forum will know what you're refering to if you call it japanese kickboxing. I don't know much about it but from what i've seen the strikes allowed are the same as in muay thai but the pace is higher and the clinch isn't used alot.

4. K-1 style kickboxing or just kickboxing are the terms used to describe Glory, K-1, Kunlun, Enfusion fights etc. No elbow, minimal clinch, often 3 rounds.

5. Dutch kickboxing: a style of fighting (punch, low kick) which is usually used in K-1 style kickboxing but can be applied in muay thai aswell. Mohamed Khamal is a good example.

6. WAKO kickboxing, shiny pants, no low kicks etc...

7. Western muay thai scoring: i have no idea what it means but i guess they refer to how muay thai is scored in Best of Siam, Yokkao, Lion Fight. The scoring sometimes appears to be similar to that in K-1 style kickboxing (ie agression and punches are favored) but there are also alot of hometown robberies.

I can't distinguish a "USA" style of muay thai. The biggest common denominator from what i've seen is that they're mostly low level.

Well every gym has their own style and fighters within the gyms have their own styles. It's all about perception though. Generally i can tell if someone trained in thailand, japan, netherlands or china.

Then again every promotion has their own set of rules, scoring and definitions of their sport.

I think that most people in this forum use these definitions

1. Stadium muay thai: pretty obvious - rules and scoring according to the major thai stadiums. Mostly thai fighters. Perhaps even stadium title fights abroad can count in here. Raja title fights are fought for quite often in japan.

2. Non stadium muay thai: Generally it varies alot and the judging can be inconsistent but includes promotions such as top king, kunlun fight with full thai rules, max muay thai etc. Includes fighters from many nationalities and different training backgrounds but most succesful westerners trained in thailand.

3. Japanese kickboxing: pretty similar to the #2 but consists mainly of japanese fighters fighting each other in japan and most people on the forum will know what you're refering to if you call it japanese kickboxing. I don't know much about it but from what i've seen the strikes allowed are the same as in muay thai but the pace is higher and the clinch isn't used alot.

4. K-1 style kickboxing or just kickboxing are the terms used to describe Glory, K-1, Kunlun, Enfusion fights etc. No elbow, minimal clinch, often 3 rounds.

5. Dutch kickboxing: a style of fighting (punch, low kick) which is usually used in K-1 style kickboxing but can be applied in muay thai aswell. Mohamed Khamal is a good example.

6. WAKO kickboxing, shiny pants, no low kicks etc...

7. Western muay thai scoring: i have no idea what it means but i guess they refer to how muay thai is scored in Best of Siam, Yokkao, Lion Fight. The scoring sometimes appears to be similar to that in K-1 style kickboxing (ie agression and punches are favored) but there are also alot of hometown robberies.
Thanks for the good reply. Are you from Thailand? And also shinny pants is just one of the styles in WAKO there are also international rules (low kick) and K1. My country is under WAKO and we do that 3 disciplines.

I
Thanks for the good reply. Are you from Thailand? And also shinny pants is just one of the styles in WAKO there are also international rules (low kick) and K1. My country is under WAKO and we do that 3 disciplines.
I'm not thai

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back