Muay Thai Setups/Combos, & the why, strike smart/with a purpose

Nak_Muay_Joe

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
This is my first post on Sherdog!

I hope to learn more setups/combos on Sherdog from Professionals, Amatuers, Coaches/Trainers, or very Active Martial Artists. There are many posts on combos people use, but most posts don't explain the why. Once you learn the basics, such as throwing the 1-2-3, it isn't easy to land on an experienced opponent.

For example, I've been researching better ways to land my right MT kick(from an orthodox stance) to the body.

So there's a video I watched with Sean :eek::eek::eek:an "The Muay Thai Guy" spar with Nong-O from Evolve MMA Singapore. Nong-O is kicking him at will, and so I slowed down the video to analyze how he does it against another experienced fighter.

Purpose: R body kick

From Orthodox stance, at the same time parry opponent's lazy L-jab w/ your Right hand in a downward motion & step in with L-jab > followed by R-cross > lead upper (purpose at this point was to make Sean shell up high guard) > then blast him with R body kick and then exit backwards from a counter.

Please share your knowledge here in detail and/or a video with it,

Would be cool with more detailed setups for punches or kicks like that, including the defensive or reactive part.

They're all the same. 123kick or in your case 124 kick. It's all to make them shell up or think about punches while you blast them with kicks.

You can use kicks to set up your punches as well. Lead push kick into punches.

Another way is to fake kicks so they're thinking about that while you throw them a real kick. Fake left kick and blast them with a real right kick. Fake a teep and blast them with roundhouses. Fake a kick and throw punches like the superman punch.

So start high finish low. Or start low finish high. Use feints. Or even start low finish low. My favorite is a lead push kick into a rear leg kick.

I like using body kicks as part of a pursuit combo

One of my fav is:

check -> switch liver kick

(they're backing up at this point)

2, 3, rear body kick

^The latter part is pursuing, so you'll have to walk them down as you're striking. Its not stationary

I also like "bully" type stuff where say after I'm doing clinching, I'll push them off from the so they'll be shoved away on their side, and I whip the body kick out. Its a bit hard to explain, but it would be (as orthodox) do your business with them in the clinch, shove them to a 45 degree on your right side, then kick. The shove is almost like you're trying to push them down at an angle.

Recently I've been playing with angles. jab while moving to your right (as ortho), and now you at an angle whip the rear uppercut. Followed by liver kick. When you have the angle, there's perfect room to land the kick, its not jammed or too far.

This is my first post on Sherdog!

I hope to learn more setups/combos on Sherdog from Professionals, Amatuers, Coaches/Trainers, or very Active Martial Artists. There are many posts on combos people use, but most posts don't explain the why. Once you learn the basics, such as throwing the 1-2-3, it isn't easy to land on an experienced opponent.

For example, I've been researching better ways to land my right MT kick(from an orthodox stance) to the body.

So there's a video I watched with Sean :eek::eek::eek:an "The Muay Thai Guy" spar with Nong-O from Evolve MMA Singapore. Nong-O is kicking him at will, and so I slowed down the video to analyze how he does it against another experienced fighter.

Purpose: R body kick

From Orthodox stance, at the same time parry opponent's lazy L-jab w/ your Right hand in a downward motion & step in with L-jab > followed by R-cross > lead upper (purpose at this point was to make Sean shell up high guard) > then blast him with R body kick and then exit backwards from a counter.

Please share your knowledge here in detail and/or a video with it,

nak muay joe, i used to be friends with a guy with that name, a long time ago.

I like using body kicks as part of a pursuit combo

One of my fav is:

check -> switch liver kick

(they're backing up at this point)

2, 3, rear body kick

^The latter part is pursuing, so you'll have to walk them down as you're striking. Its not stationary

I also like "bully" type stuff where say after I'm doing clinching, I'll push them off from the so they'll be shoved away on their side, and I whip the body kick out. Its a bit hard to explain, but it would be (as orthodox) do your business with them in the clinch, shove them to a 45 degree on your right side, then kick. The shove is almost like you're trying to push them down at an angle.

Recently I've been playing with angles. jab while moving to your right (as ortho), and now you at an angle whip the rear uppercut. Followed by liver kick. When you have the angle, there's perfect room to land the kick, its not jammed or too far.

Nice post! I've been doing something similar. I've been working on a baiting L-jab (to get your opponent to jab & move forward) followed by a slip right w/ counter rear uppercut. I got this technique from watching Conor McGregor's fast hands, but he does this technique from Southpaw position. I never thought about adding a liver kick at the end. It makes sense and it would be hard to defend against it. Thanks J123! I'm headed to Thailand next week so I'll definitely try this during my sparring sessions.

They're all the same. 123kick or in your case 124 kick. It's all to make them shell up or think about punches while you blast them with kicks.

You can use kicks to set up your punches as well. Lead push kick into punches.

Another way is to fake kicks so they're thinking about that while you throw them a real kick. Fake left kick and blast them with a real right kick. Fake a teep and blast them with roundhouses. Fake a kick and throw punches like the superman punch.

So start high finish low. Or start low finish high. Use feints. Or even start low finish low. My favorite is a lead push kick into a rear leg kick.

I like the lead push kick into a rear leg kick too, but I've mostly practiced that on pads. Landing the rear leg kick is usually harder since the front teep creates more distance & the opponent can see the kick coming with the distance you have to cover. From orthodox, I've tried a L-teep > thai hop > R-body kick. It doesn't always land clean, but usually fakes out most people I've tried it on.

I like the lead push kick into a rear leg kick too, but I've mostly practiced that on pads. Landing the rear leg kick is usually harder since the front teep creates more distance & the opponent can see the kick coming with the distance you have to cover. From orthodox, I've tried a L-teep > thai hop > R-body kick. It doesn't always land clean, but usually fakes out most people I've tried it on.
After my L teep I don't return it to default. I use that kick to take a step forward. I'll be closer and I'll be able to punch or kick depending on their reaction. So L teep, step/land on the outside closer to your opponent, throw a 2 or use the 2 to hide your R RH.

I've had many success with it.

I'm headed to Thailand next week so I'll definitely try this during my sparring sessions.
That's the dream, I gotta head there someday.

lead teep -> step down + cross -> whatever

lead teep -> flying knee is nice, but it would only work if they're on the ropes after the teep

One of the most cleanly landed non-technical combo is: shove + leg kick. You';d think a shove has no place in striking, but it works. He/she stumbles backwards from the shove, then the leg kick is pretty much a freebie. They're not checking it.

Once you get into no shin guard fighting, you'll have to get as much freebies as you can.

Nice post! I've been doing something similar. I've been working on a baiting L-jab (to get your opponent to jab & move forward) followed by a slip right w/ counter rear uppercut. I got this technique from watching Conor McGregor's fast hands, but he does this technique from Southpaw position. I never thought about adding a liver kick at the end. It makes sense and it would be hard to defend against it. Thanks J123! I'm headed to Thailand next week so I'll definitely try this during my sparring sessions.

Hey bro, how long you going for ? and what part of thailand? i'm heading there in a couple of weeks too lol. never trained muay thai in my life haha

Hey bro, how long you going for ? and what part of thailand? i'm heading there in a couple of weeks too lol. never trained muay thai in my life haha
I'm headed there for 2 weeks. Last year, I trained in Phuket at Phuket Top Team. The street it's located on is called "Soi Ta-iad". There are several good gyms on that street, but it's a little far from the Nightlife area (Patong Beach). This year I'm exploring more of Thailand by going to Phuket, Pattaya, and Bangkok. I strongly recommend classes w/ privates to get the most out of your time in Thailand. Also, don't get discouraged while training with other experienced people or professionals. Everyone, even the Best, had to start from somewhere! It'll be some of the best training you'll ever receive for Muay Thai. Good Luck out there AusTosh!

After my L teep I don't return it to default. I use that kick to take a step forward. I'll be closer and I'll be able to punch or kick depending on their reaction. So L teep, step/land on the outside closer to your opponent, throw a 2 or use the 2 to hide your R RH.

I've had many success with it.
Oh this sounds like a really smart approach! I never thought of advancing after the teep. I've also been practicing on the heavy bag (1-high, 2-high) to a 1-high, feint 2-high to R-head kick working on the timing by sound of impact. I'll definitely be practicing this setup from the front teep & stepping forward. Thanks freaky!

sometimes i start a combo with a kick, sometimes i end with a kick. now they kind of know what's coming, i mix it up...fake a kick and step in with a knee instead, start a hand combo and clinch up instead, etc.

ultimately, i think you just need to find what works best for you and your body type and be creative.

Here's a classic basic setup of using the lowkick to test someone's defenses. And if they reach for that leg... Make them pay for it.

I'm headed there for 2 weeks. Last year, I trained in Phuket at Phuket Top Team. The street it's located on is called "Soi Ta-iad". There are several good gyms on that street, but it's a little far from the Nightlife area (Patong Beach). This year I'm exploring more of Thailand by going to Phuket, Pattaya, and Bangkok. I strongly recommend classes w/ privates to get the most out of your time in Thailand. Also, don't get discouraged while training with other experienced people or professionals. Everyone, even the Best, had to start from somewhere! It'll be some of the best training you'll ever receive for Muay Thai. Good Luck out there AusTosh!

haha thanks for the look out brother but yeah kinda worded that wrong. i've never trained in muay thai as in taken muay thai classes for a committed period of time but i train 5-6 x a week and compete in shinkyokushin karate as well as cross training in boxing for the face punches (which we lack in kyokushin).

but yeah like you said man, excited to try new things out, learn from the best in muay thai and spar with thais.

i'll be staying at kiatphontip; going with a good matie of mine who trains in muay thai. chuck us a reply or pm around the dates if you're around bangkok on 22/12-18/01 bro, take care.

I never read these technical explenations it's like a wall of bricks to me but in sparring I'm Full of endless ideas

I'd prefer a video showcase

Back