Muay Thai to Karate

Underrated advice IMHO.

"Kids self-defense" would be on par with "Kids Karate" for all those soccer moms @shincheckin wants to screw... out of their money. :D

This way you can teach basic MT - the stuff you know best - and provide the most dedicated pupils a solid base for when they want to transition to real MT class.

PROS:
- you can actually teach what you're good at and what you want (nobody can claim it's "not *real* self-defense")
- kids are taught properly and get a solid MT base
- don't have to put in any time to learn stuff you don't find useful (like kata)
- nobody can call you a fraud (for teaching without a black belt)
- don't have to invest in Karate equipment (gis, belts, makiwara etc.)
- "Kids self-defense" might even attract more kids that "Kids Karate"
- Karate community of Sherdog is off your back :D
- profit $$$

CONS:
- none

There you go! :)

This is a good idea, i started to type up a bunch of shit but im going to let this thread die!

Last edited:
just using it as an example.

More my point is wouldn't it make sense if you're running your own gym and are adamant about having a karate class - to just have a karate class, have a black belt instructor take the class at your kickboxing gym - pay him for the classes he teaches and keep the money from whatever memberships he brings in.

That's why I'm so confused. I realise you've had to defend yourself quite a lot on this thread - but if I wanted my kid to learn karate - I'm not going to send them to a guy from a different martial art who has dabbled in karate - even if you are training it - I'd really want my kid to learn from a guy with years of experience.

And I understand Shinkyoku's frustration. Master Sken and Master Toddy ALWAYS get shit for being 'taekwondo guys who branded themselves as thai boxers' even though thats not really true - so I completely get why it's going to ruffle some feathers when a Thai boxer wants to make money off of kids karate classes and wants to dabble in the art to teach it himself.

I'd say your best bet really would be to open a kickboxing gym and train your students to compete under Muay Thai and Kickboxing rules - and have a dedicated karate instructor. You'd have to split some of the profit, but if you're sure that karate will bring in a lot of money - then it's better to have that income be sustainable - which it may not be if you are the karate sensei yourself.

That's just my thoughts on it. I'm not trying to shit on you, but I think it would be a far more profitable business model and a more genuine expression of love for martial arts to either just have a muay thai gym, or have a kickboxing gym that teaches both, with two guys who know what they're doing. When you've got two guys teaching with two different focusses, the students get to learn the best from two people. I know that from my own experiences.

Also @Azam Muay Thai is only the hare for those suckers who never learn the clinch!

Last edited:
da-fuck.jpg

It's a joke started by Master Ken and his parody channel where he teaches Ameri-do-te

More my point is wouldn't it make sense if you're running your own gym and are adamant about having a karate class - to just have a karate class, have a black belt instructor take the class at your kickboxing gym - pay him for the classes he teaches and keep the money from whatever memberships he brings in.

That's why I'm so confused. I realise you've had to defend yourself quite a lot on this thread - but if I wanted my kid to learn karate - I'm not going to send them to a guy from a different martial art who has dabbled in karate - even if you are training it - I'd really want my kid to learn from a guy with years of experience.

And I understand Shinkyoku's frustration. Master Sken and Master Toddy ALWAYS get shit for being 'taekwondo guys who branded themselves as thai boxers' even though thats not really true - so I completely get why it's going to ruffle some feathers when a Thai boxer wants to make money off of kids karate classes and wants to dabble in the art to teach it himself.

I'd say your best bet really would be to open a kickboxing gym and train your students to compete under Muay Thai and Kickboxing rules - and have a dedicated karate instructor. You'd have to split some of the profit, but if you're sure that karate will bring in a lot of money - then it's better to have that income be sustainable - which it may not be if you are the karate sensei yourself.

That's just my thoughts on it. I'm not trying to shit on you, but I think it would be a far more profitable business model and a more genuine expression of love for martial arts to either just have a muay thai gym, or have a kickboxing gym that teaches both, with two guys who know what they're doing. When you've got two guys teaching with two different focusses, the students get to learn the best from two people. I know that from my own experiences.

Also @Azam Muay Thai is only the hare for those suckers who never learn the clinch!

I agree with just about everything you have said here. The whole defending myself was the "intent in defrauding" which was not the case. MT/Boxing attracts a different demographic than karate. I want to be able to help both the at risk youth, and the kid that gets picked on at school. I also think cross training in karate is beneficial to MT. Theres a difference between 14 yr old kids that are out stealing cars vs other kids. The kids stealing cars are not the type of kids you can put into a karate or self defense class but you can chuck them into a boxing gym and potentially change their lives.

Lol, good times. For those who are unaware, this was a response to video challenge by Master Ken of Enter The Dojo--if you haven't watched it, I recommend you check it out. It's a hilarious spoof on McDojos and martial arts tropes.

It's a joke started by Master Ken and his parody channel where he teaches Ameri-do-te

LOL, I see.

I agree with this statement. Karate as we know it today was born in Okinawa where no one walks around wearing big heavy gloves. Especially in subtropical weather. However, for those of us who live in climates that get winter seasons it wouldn't be a bad idea to train with gloves so that we would be better prepared to throw down instantly while wearing winter gloves.
A solid posted agreeing with spacetime?!
WTF, this thread is beyond crazy!!!
:eek::eek::eek:

EDIT: Read further posts, everything is back to normal, phew! :D

Last edited:
A solid posted agreeing with spacetime?!
WTF, this thread is beyond crazy!!!
:eek::eek::eek:

EDIT: Read further posts, everything is back to normal, phew! :D

Yes, everything's back to normal and the disturbance in the force has subsided. After all, spacetime is gonna spacetime.

<Kpop775>

Lol clinching might extend the period for sure.

The hare are all combat sports including Muay Thai & Knockdown karate etc. It's just in this instance I was referring to Muay Thai.

The turtle are all martial arts styles like Muay Boran & Karate etc.

This is what I feel anyway.

The hare are all combat sports including Muay Thai & Knockdown karate etc.

The turtle are all martial arts styles like Muay Boran & Karate etc.

This is what I feel anyway.

From the book Full Contact Karate Training by Juergen Hoeller and Axel Maluschka:

In most Karate styles, the pupil's basic training (kihon) consists of traditional forms. On the other hand, they use the techniques for self defense and kumite completely differently, particularly when they are applied to the full contact style. In other words, a pupil spends a lot of time training in things that he cannot use in real fighting or in self defense. This way he loses a lot of time. (This, of course, is rather irrelevant when one considers lifetime training.)

I think what you're saying is essentially the same as the author's above quote. Basically it is like when a person is learning a foreign language. That person can learn and memorize a collection of the most used phrases and expressions (the immediate answer to the problem) OR that person can learn the language itself; meaning learning the grammar of the language, vocabulary and the meanings of each individual word in any given sentence or expression, etc. (the long term answer to the problem).

I see combat sport, self defense and Martial Arts almost the same way. Combat sport is an immediate answer to a problem (the problem of competition). Self Defense/Goshin Jitsu is also an immediate solution to a problem (the problem of quick and dirty self protection). But Martial Art is a lifelong journey and although it IS an answer to problems such as self defense, if one were to approach their training as a martial ARTIST then that answer will have to become available to that person after much serious time spent training and studying the ART. Because of the impatience and "I want it now" attitude of a lot of people this is probably why so few study martial arts and make a commitment to pursue it in the long haul.

OSU!

Back