Muay Thai Training in Thailand, Singapore or the Netherlands?

Hatake88

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys

Long term lurker here. I saved up enough money to either go to Thailand, Singapore or the Netherlands to train for 3-4 weeks in December. I am not sure which to choose considering I have been to any of these countries. I would love to stay longer but that is not possible due to work.

To give you an idea about my training history, I have trained in kickboxing for 3 years, have had 2 amateur kickboxing fights and 1.5 years of Muay Thai training. I am grossly unfit at the moment so I'm not looking to fight in the 3-4 weeks I'm away. I'm mainly there to work on my techniques - knees, elbows, trips, clinch etc.

I am slightly leaning towards the Netherlands for sightseeing reasons. I have heard Vos Gym in Holland has really good trainers. But then and again I am a bit wary of Vos simply because I don't want to travel all the way to do group classes. I am happy to pay for a few privates but preferably would like as much 1 on 1 time with a coach during classes as possible (e.g. for them to hold the mitts for me). That is the same concern I have with Evolve MMA (in Singapore) - that, yes, its great I have a world class trainer in front of me but then I'm also stuck in a class of 25-30 other tourists (some of which might be beginners).

If money is not an issue (I mean, I forgot about my tax returns and ended up with a spare $5k), where would you train for Muay Thai and why?

Thanks guys!

Also, just to clarify (though I already hinted at it) - on top of it being a training trip, this is also a holiday for me. I know there are some very hardcore gyms that produce top fighters but, for me, while its important to have a good trainers (of course) I also want somewhere that is clean and friendly. Not really a big party person but I also don't want to end up sleeping on the floor in a remote part of town.

Holland is cold and we don't work much on clinching, elbows, knees and trips.
And to find a place for over a month will bite a big chunk out of your budget. I would go to Thailand if i was in your position.

if you're not from asia, thailands probably going to give you a way better sightseeing and holiday experience.

And to find a place for over a month will bite a big chunk out of your budget. I would go to Thailand if i was in your position.

I would root for Thailand as well. The weather is great in that period. More one on one training as you prefer.

Most gyms in Holland are characterised by classroom training, doing one on one technique sessions with your training partner combined with, often hard, sparring sessions.

if you're not from asia, thailands probably going to give you a way better sightseeing and holiday experience.

That depends.. Amsterdam is a city of big historical value and there is lot's of sightseeing to do (in the whole of the Netherlands/Europe in general). It also depends on your personal interests of course..

thailand. hands down.

Where do you come from?
I would root for Thailand as well. The weather is great in that period. More one on one training as you prefer.

Most gyms in Holland are characterised by classroom training, doing one on one technique sessions with your training partner combined with, often hard, sparring sessions.

That depends.. Amsterdam is a city of big historical value and there is lot's of sightseeing to do (in the whole of the Netherlands/Europe in general). It also depends on your personal interests of course..

Haarlem is 10x better then Amsterdam! Same historical value, less crazy people and not so crowded!! :)

If you serious about training come to Bangkok. PM me for gym details.
if you want a holiday and a bit of training go to Phuket.

I was in Holland for 2 months in FFC ( Lucien Carbin ) and there was Clinching, elbows and knees.
Alot of them.
So i would recommend if you are looking for something like that , find Carbin , he have his own place now i think name is " All Style Carbin" ASC
If you need help going in Holland to join them , let me know i will send msg so you can speak for details.

Good luck

Also, just to clarify (though I already hinted at it) - on top of it being a training trip, this is also a holiday for me. I know there are some very hardcore gyms that produce top fighters but, for me, while its important to have a good trainers (of course) I also want somewhere that is clean and friendly. Not really a big party person but I also don't want to end up sleeping on the floor in a remote part of town.

Mike's Gym (in Oostzaan near Amsterdam)

Murthel Groenhart gives personal training there

Good thing about the Netherlands, it's a small country. U don't like 1 gym, you go to the next quality place. U can book clinics with big names (all very approachable example: http://www.ernestohoost.nl/contact/ ), go to Vos gym, Chakuriki/Xena, mousid gym, etc.

But of course, Thailand is Thailand. If u are a beach bum too i think my rainy country is not what you're looking for

Last edited:
I am slightly leaning towards the Netherlands for sightseeing reasons. I have heard Vos Gym in Holland has really good trainers. But then and again I am a bit wary of Vos simply because I don't want to travel all the way to do group classes. I am happy to pay for a few privates but preferably would like as much 1 on 1 time with a coach during classes as possible (e.g. for them to hold the mitts for me). That is the same concern I have with Evolve MMA (in Singapore) - that, yes, its great I have a world class trainer in front of me but then I'm also stuck in a class of 25-30 other tourists (some of which might be beginners).

Thanks guys!
The training cultures are totally different. The Netherlands is all about group training, Thailand is all about one on one training. And muay thai doesn't really exist in the Netherlands, strictly speaking.

Compare and contrast:

I think at this point it'd be cheaper to go to Holland than Singapore? Evolve is terribly expensive and its mostly group (not very high level) training despite having lumpinee champs running classes. Outside of Evolve, no other gym is really that high level.

Holland - Mejiro, GG, Souwer's, Mike's all seem like the better alternative.

If you looking for real pure muay thai The Netherlands shouldn't be your choice but they have really good gyms of kickboxing one of them really well known is Mike's Gym.

I live in the Netherlands but I would definitely go for Thailand!

Hey guys

Long term lurker here. I saved up enough money to either go to Thailand, Singapore or the Netherlands to train for 3-4 weeks in December. I am not sure which to choose considering I have been to any of these countries. I would love to stay longer but that is not possible due to work.

To give you an idea about my training history, I have trained in kickboxing for 3 years, have had 2 amateur kickboxing fights and 1.5 years of Muay Thai training. I am grossly unfit at the moment so I'm not looking to fight in the 3-4 weeks I'm away. I'm mainly there to work on my techniques - knees, elbows, trips, clinch etc.

If money is not an issue (I mean, I forgot about my tax returns and ended up with a spare $5k), where would you train for Muay Thai and why?

Thanks guys!
Drop Sigapore. Only decent gym I saw there was so-called Onyx MMA, and it’s still not enough to get you to go there.
Forget about Evolve unless you’re a pro figher, classes are shitttt. Students hold pads for each other.... ‘nuff said. Not to mention no sparring (or just spar noobs at 10% power) and 500 dollars a month.

Thailand is definitely a good option. Go for a hardcore camp like Sitmonchai. Sitsongpeenong is also hardcore but also modern. You’ll spar with high-level Thais and farangs and they are the leading gym in Thailand now. Phuket has Phuket Top Team which I’ve heard is good and a ‘‘fighter’s gym’’, even tho it’s expensive and full of farangs.

Holland is a great option, but they spar meathead style and it’s kickboxing only mostly. Still, Mike’s, Collosseum and Mejiro gym, etc etc., are all world-renown, so if you get in shape and have a good headguard, that’s where I’d go.

I spent 4 months training in thaialand and is currently living and training in Amsterdam right now. I would say go train in Thailand. If you find a good gym in thailand, you can get way more one on one instructions and way better pad holding. I trained at vos gym before while the coaches are excellent, they won't give you a lot of attention unless you are an established fighter or been training there consistently for an extended period of time. You just be one of the causal students that comes and goes all the time. Besides Amsterdam is really fucking expensive in terms of accommodation, i thin you would have a much better time in thailand with the weather and cheap everything.

If you want to spar....go to my rainy cold ass country (everyday is sparringday). If you want one on one training in the sun...go to Thailand. Fuck Singapor...its expensive and shitty training.

Why even consider Singapore? At Evolve 45 minute training sessions together with unfit office workers and 45-year old expatriate housewives would be what you get....and accommodation is more expensive than Tokyo. Thailand is the obvious choice....but be aware of temptations.

Back