Muay Thai vs BJJ Self Defense

if we were only allowed to learn one martial art in life for self defense purposes, I would go with BJJ. Fighting a high level BJJ guy is about the equivalent of fighting a chimpanzee.

if we were only allowed to learn one martial art in life for self defense purposes, I would go with BJJ. Fighting a high level BJJ guy is about the equivalent of fighting a chimpanzee.
I'd go with wrestling.

201026stp001.jpg

If you're talking short term results - boxing is the best, simple weapons that you get good at very quickly.

If you're talking long term results - it really doesn't matter, so long as you spar against resisting opponents.

Tai Chi + Yellow bamboo / being drunk............ = win

I also advocate aggressive face biting but only if the other person deserves it
now your learning. i have never bitten a person only a dog. a stern look is using enough to deal with loudmouths like you.

I'd go with wrestling.
the on;y trouble with wrestling is the high risk of severe injury or even death if you start slamming people on 'crete. the other disadvantage is that most street fights are against much larger opponents or multiple opponents and wrestling loses some of it power in such situations. it is still one of the very best skills to have though.

the on;y trouble with wrestling is the high risk of severe injury or even death if you start slamming people on 'crete. the other disadvantage is that most street fights are against much larger opponents or multiple opponents and wrestling loses some of it power in such situations. it is still one of the very best skills to have though.
Yeah, but really no martial arts can prepare you to mess up multiple peeps with bad intentions. (Inb4 krav / ninjitsu). And then you really have to be highly athletic and skill gap worlds apart.

Striking has an edge for hit and run, but there's only so much you can do. Really having awareness and common sense makes it.

Wrestlers I've trained with happen to be very athletic aside from skillwork, they can hit pretty hard even though their striking is shit. Not the best solution overall, but I'd rather be that than a BJJ cat. Subs take time. Double -> gnp doesnt. But yeah you can kill a dude with a high crotch. On padded mats in rolling i did it once and thought my partner got injured even though I helped him break the fall

The only arts that could realistically overcome knife attacks are those involving kicking, due to the range and surprise value. Should be factored in.

Grapplers would get stabbed more likely than not.

Crazy monkey?

in all seriousness, our DNA is 99% the same. if you take a large powerfull athletic man, like the Rock, and hes BJJ master. Dude would man handle you like a chimp.

in all seriousness, our DNA is 99% the same. if you take a large powerfull athletic man, like the Rock, and hes BJJ master. Dude would man handle you like a chimp.
Naw, I'm a Sherdogger, my DNA's different

• 6'5
  • 300lbs @ 3% bodyfat
  • bench teh 275
  • 15" shlong
  • gives iPads to wives
  • smash boise dimes 5x a day, 9 days a week
  • UFC is ducking me

i dont get what the whole deal is with all this street fighting bullshit everyone is into. I guess street fighting and self defense are 2 different things really. You dont need to be a master of "insert martial art here" for self defense. The best thing for SELF DEFENSE is a weapon. As mentioned, most self defense situations are when someone is larger than you, has ppl with them, etc. meaning the person that must defend themselves is usually at a disadvantage, the attacker is usually the person with the advantage. Well none of that shit is fair and theres no rules so my go to for a self defense situation is to use a weapon, so if the Rock attacks you, smash him in the head with a bat. If a midget attacks you, smash him in the head with a bat, theres no rules. that being said theres more to self defense than just fighting. The best thing to do is be smart enough to not put yourself into that type of situation. Recognize the situation or potential for the situation prior to it happening. and gtfo outta there before shit goes down. or use your mouth to talk your way outta it, or at the very least distract them, hey sorry man dont hurt me, offer to shake hands, than sucker stab him in the neck. the simple act of teling someone stop dont come any closer is huge, if you say that to a person, and they continue to come closer, recognize that the situation has just escalated. lots of stuff to type but hopefully you guys get what i mean.

ill share with you guys what you can expect depending on my location.

home:

50889-2.jpg

31bvAb3fL6L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Dog-protection-training.jpg

car:

15MCEAPPPRGLWBLTCHUA_Black_is

2449a625-5c6f-406c-bd77-b56f73d58bb5_1.aca476f27ae70a793a84de4677eeed14.jpeg

Personal:

image_932.jpg

NEW_Cold_Steel_62NGL_Espada_Series_Large_Size_Folding__001.jpg

so if shit goes down, MT will be the last thing I use. also worth mentioning your car can be used as a weapon. Better to run someone over than get out of the car and fight.

these are just some of my thoughts on self defense.

Last edited:
In terms of pure self defense, which is better of the two.
Muay Thai, because I'm assuming there is multiple people. Bjj's whole schtick is isolation. Isolate the enemy put him on the ground and isolate the limbs. They both have their advantages but I think muay Thai probably has the edge since you can still clinch and sweep in muay thai but you can't strike in bjj. Not to say the bjj guy couldn't strike. He just wouldn't train it.

i dont get what the whole deal is with all this street fighting bullshit everyone is into. I guess street fighting and self defense are 2 different things really. You dont need to be a master of "insert martial art here" for self defense. The best thing for SELF DEFENSE is a weapon. As mentioned, most self defense situations are when someone is larger than you, has ppl with them, etc. meaning the person that must defend themselves is usually at a disadvantage, the attacker is usually the person with the advantage. Well none of that shit is fair and theres no rules so my go to for a self defense situation is to use a weapon, so if the Rock attacks you, smash him in the head with a bat. If a midget attacks you, smash him in the head with a bat, theres no rules. that being said theres more to self defense than just fighting. The best thing to do is be smart enough to not put yourself into that type of situation. Recognize the situation or potential for the situation prior to it happening. and gtfo outta there before shit goes down. or use your mouth to talk your way outta it, or at the very least distract them, hey sorry man dont hurt me, offer to shake hands, than sucker stab him in the neck. the simple act of teling someone stop dont come any closer is huge, if you say that to a person, and they continue to come closer, recognize that the situation has just escalated. lots of stuff to type but hopefully you guys get what i mean.

home:

50889-2.jpg

car:

Personal:

image_932.jpg

so if shit goes down, MT will be the last thing I use. also worth mentioning your car can be used as a weapon. Better to run someone over than get out of the car and fight.

I always think about using my car as a weapon, if cornered. A bunch of drunk dudes start pounding on my windshield and windows? I'm driving right through them and calling up my lawyer lol...just sell the jury on how scared you were and your desire to get home safely to your family.

This just happened out here in LA earlier this week...cyclists were out protesting over a fellow cyclist getting killed in that very intersection the day before and a woman got out of her car and got into an altercation with a female cyclist. She got back in her car, drove off and this ensued:

I always think about using my car as a weapon, if cornered. A bunch of drunk dudes start pounding on my windshield and windows? I'm driving right through them and calling up my lawyer lol...just sell the jury on how scared you were and your desire to get home safely to your family.

This just happened out here in LA earlier this week...cyclists were out protesting over a fellow cyclist getting killed in that very intersection the day before and a woman got out of her car and got into an altercation with a female cyclist. She got back in her car, drove off and this ensued:

I actually saw that on facebook yesterday lol.

How about that asian man and his family that was getting harassed by the ruff ryder type biker gang in NY. They were sitting there fucking with him, im sure if he stopped or got out they would have jumped him, so he ran them over and took off. Then they chased him down, smashed his windshield, dragged him out and beat him, with his wife and kids in the car. i can recall one of the bikers getting off his bike and opening his door, and he sped off. They later interviewed that biker and he said he was trying to open the door so he can take his keys away so he doesnt hurt anyone else...OMG ppl are so full of shit. because this all happened with his wife and kids in the car....i think he should have shot those bikers and ran over every single one chasing him. Called the cops and said i am getting chased by a biker gang, i have a gun and will protect my family. and when he got stuck in traffic, he should have just thrown it in reverse, run some fools over, into drive, run some more over, then repeat the process

Last edited:

Driver @ 0:24 plays GTA.

home:

50889-2.jpg

car:

Personal:

image_932.jpg

Canadian checking in, can't most of those. Am fucked in an apocalypse scenario :(

Driver @ 0:24 plays GTA.

Canadian checking in, can't most of those. Am fucked in an apocalypse scenario :(
same here, honestly im thinking of getting a gun in the future anyways for self protection in case of a home invasion, what are your thoughts. I'm in Brampton, Ontario

Yeah, but really no martial arts can prepare you to mess up multiple peeps with bad intentions. (Inb4 krav / ninjitsu). And then you really have to be highly athletic and skill gap worlds apart.

Striking has an edge for hit and run, but there's only so much you can do. Really having awareness and common sense makes it.

Wrestlers I've trained with happen to be very athletic aside from skillwork, they can hit pretty hard even though their striking is shit. Not the best solution overall, but I'd rather be that than a BJJ cat. Subs take time. Double -> gnp doesnt. But yeah you can kill a dude with a high crotch. On padded mats in rolling i did it once and thought my partner got injured even though I helped him break the fall

i'm also thinking of taking up wrestling as well. do you think wrestling/boxing is best duo or wrestling/ju jitsu. I'm more for self defense and think wrestling/boxing is better because ju jitsu does take time for subs and with wrestling you can just hold the dude down and calm him down.

Back