Muay Thai vs BJJ Self Defense

same here, honestly im thinking of getting a gun in the future anyways for self protection in case of a home invasion, what are your thoughts. I'm in Brampton, Ontario
Brampton looks a little cray cray now even though the houses there are massive.

i'm also thinking of taking up wrestling as well. do you think wrestling/boxing is best duo or wrestling/ju jitsu. I'm more for self defense and think wrestling/boxing is better because ju jitsu does take time for subs and with wrestling you can just hold the dude down and calm him down.
One huge problem is we barely have any wrestling here. lol.

Wrestling/boxing goes a long way, its a classic arrangement in MMA. But you really have to work with what you have. I wouldn't even bother with holding a guy down. Just GTFO there after its done. How's the holding down going to go? Pin a guy and wait there til the cops show up or a friendly pedestrian to help out. Naw.

shotgun, machete, pepper spray, blade if its longer than 3"

Former federal agent here, actually, you're mistaken. Shotguns are perfectly legal as long as the barrel & overall length are long enough. Machetes are legal, pepper spray is perfectly fine as long as you call it bear spray, and there are no knife length restrictions unless your city has some bullshit bylaw.

Former federal agent here, actually, you're mistaken. Shotguns are perfectly legal as long as the barrel & overall length are long enough. Machetes are legal, pepper spray is perfectly fine as long as you call it bear spray, and there are no knife length restrictions unless your city has some bullshit bylaw.
Guess you learn something new each day.

Guess you learn something new each day.

Almost everyone thinks Canada has super restrictive weapons & self-defence laws, but we don't. We don't really have that many restrictions on firearms, it's on the magazine side where we're Nazis; you're stuck at 5 rounds for rifles and 10 for pistol rounds. No restrictions on manual shotguns, and there's a wonky formula for semi-auto shotguns. Also, our self-defence laws are actually pretty reasonable, see Section 34 of the Criminal Code of Canada.

Brampton looks a little cray cray now even though the houses there are massive.

One huge problem is we barely have any wrestling here. lol.

Wrestling/boxing goes a long way, its a classic arrangement in MMA. But you really have to work with what you have. I wouldn't even bother with holding a guy down. Just GTFO there after its done. How's the holding down going to go? Pin a guy and wait there til the cops show up or a friendly pedestrian to help out. Naw.
yeah lmao, and have you heard of legends mma in brampton, they offer wrestling. Thinking of doing some wrestling/boxing or wrestling/ju jitsu. Which of these 2 do you think is better in your opinion? Thanks again btw!

yeah lmao, and have you heard of legends mma in brampton, they offer wrestling. Thinking of doing some wrestling/boxing or wrestling/ju jitsu. Which of these 2 do you think is better in your opinion? Thanks again btw!

It really depends what you’re after. Boxing/Muay Thai combined with bjj/wrestling is going to be great for learning how to fight. But you don’t want to be holding anyone down if someone starts on you when you are out, cos no one goes out without mates and if you’re on the ground you can bet someone is about to soccer kick you in the face. That said if you end up on the ground, knowing how to get back to your feet ASAP can save you. So combining a striking art with a grappling art is ideal.

If you want self defence for a home invasion then that’s another matter entirely and frankly one you’re probably not going to want to fight your way out of.

If it’s for if someone corners you on your walk home and tries to mug you then honestly just being able to land a decent shot and then running away is probably your best bet.

True self defence training is about learning how to read situations so you don’t have to use self defence, de-escalating techniques and stuff like that. Main thing for self defence is to run.

I think the main thing is to be good at something, it doesn’t matter too much what it is. If there’s a good gym near you, don’t stress about what discipline it is.

Since Muay Thai has an extensive and aggressive clinch, while BJJ guys just tries to hang on and weigh down the opponent, I would say Muay Thai is better for the street if you have to pick one.

The achilles heal for the striker is double or single legs takedowns but to try that on concrete, no holds barred, is very risky, and BJJ guys aren't nearly as versed in leg takedowns as wrestlers.

You don’t need to be an ncaa div1 wrestler to take an untrained oponent down lol. Mt is good, if you are a competitor, if you just go to mt class and end up doing some type of tae bo, in terms of fighting is worthless. Doing bjj as a hobby and not competing will make you enough to be able to handle a regular joe who’s about the same size, I’d uou advance grappler, no doubt you should have no problem handling most regular people. At lewast you will have the tools for it.

Always talking in a 1 v 1 scenario.

i'm also thinking of taking up wrestling as well. do you think wrestling/boxing is best duo or wrestling/ju jitsu. I'm more for self defense and think wrestling/boxing is better because ju jitsu does take time for subs and with wrestling you can just hold the dude down and calm him down.

Jesus, what do you think jiu jitsu is all about? Of course you can control the person, it’s not a sub or nothing...

Just go with whichever you like, there's no clear cut cookie cutter for anyone, we're all individuals and click with things better depending on us. Personally I'd go for grappling/striking, you're looking at a MMA gym, use the full scale of what they offer.

More important is learning how to blend between the two. Every individual style has holes that would get you hurt in MMA, the important thing is learning how to blend it. eg. traditional upright stance and clinch position of jock to jock in MT is you taking a trip to takedown city, staying on your back too long and using 2 hands to 1 in BJJ is getting your face blasted, too heavy forward and low stance in wrestling makes it easier to headhunt and leg kick, etc.

You don’t need to be an ncaa div1 wrestler to take an untrained oponent down lol. Mt is good, if you are a competitor, if you just go to mt class and end up doing some type of tae bo, in terms of fighting is worthless. Doing bjj as a hobby and not competing will make you enough to be able to handle a regular joe who’s about the same size, I’d uou advance grappler, no doubt you should have no problem handling most regular people. At lewast you will have the tools for it.

Always talking in a 1 v 1 scenario.

Depends on the dude, even if he is untrained. Wrestlers are able to take down a greater number of bigger guys than BJJ guys. Same with Judokas.

Depends on the dude, even if he is untrained. Wrestlers are able to take down a greater number of bigger guys than BJJ guys. Same with Judokas.

There’s no doubt about that, just saying you don’t need to be an outstanding wrestler to take down someone who’s not a grapplwr

i dont get what the whole deal is with all this street fighting bullshit everyone is into. I guess street fighting and self defense are 2 different things really. You dont need to be a master of "insert martial art here" for self defense. The best thing for SELF DEFENSE is a weapon. As mentioned, most self defense situations are when someone is larger than you, has ppl with them, etc. meaning the person that must defend themselves is usually at a disadvantage, the attacker is usually the person with the advantage. Well none of that shit is fair and theres no rules so my go to for a self defense situation is to use a weapon, so if the Rock attacks you, smash him in the head with a bat. If a midget attacks you, smash him in the head with a bat, theres no rules. that being said theres more to self defense than just fighting. The best thing to do is be smart enough to not put yourself into that type of situation. Recognize the situation or potential for the situation prior to it happening. and gtfo outta there before shit goes down. or use your mouth to talk your way outta it, or at the very least distract them, hey sorry man dont hurt me, offer to shake hands, than sucker stab him in the neck. the simple act of teling someone stop dont come any closer is huge, if you say that to a person, and they continue to come closer, recognize that the situation has just escalated. lots of stuff to type but hopefully you guys get what i mean.

ill share with you guys what you can expect depending on my location.

home:

50889-2.jpg

31bvAb3fL6L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Dog-protection-training.jpg

car:

15MCEAPPPRGLWBLTCHUA_Black_is

2449a625-5c6f-406c-bd77-b56f73d58bb5_1.aca476f27ae70a793a84de4677eeed14.jpeg

Personal:

image_932.jpg

NEW_Cold_Steel_62NGL_Espada_Series_Large_Size_Folding__001.jpg

so if shit goes down, MT will be the last thing I use. also worth mentioning your car can be used as a weapon. Better to run someone over than get out of the car and fight.

these are just some of my thoughts on self defense.

I must say I like the way you think. You sound like a savage when it comes to self protection....I like it!

shotgun, machete, pepper spray, blade if its longer than 3"

Good grief, you guys are sitting f*cking ducks there. Are you at least allowed to have alarms or whistles?

There’s no doubt about that, just saying you don’t need to be an outstanding wrestler to take down someone who’s not a grapplwr

No but suppose a gym freak and athletic striker like Michael Jai White did not know any grappling (he does but let's assume he didn't), I still don't think a guy one or two weight classes below him in BJJ would take him down in a clinch. I do however think most wrestlers would. That's an important difference.

You will exude calmness and confidence if you train any combat system, and this could deterr a potential attacker. They don't like it if something feels fishy and might have second thoughts. It's a bit primitive that way.

That's my experience and have been face to face with a gang and nothing happened.

No but suppose a gym freak and athletic striker like Michael Jai White did not know any grappling (he does but let's assume he didn't), I still don't think a guy one or two weight classes below him in BJJ would take him down in a clinch. I do however think most wrestlers would. That's an important difference.

No matter what your background is, if you can bodylock someone, unless that person is a very good grappler, you should be getting the takedown...

No matter what your background is, if you can bodylock someone, unless that person is a very good grappler, you should be getting the takedown...

Foir what it's worth, Joe Rogan who has trained BJJ for more than a decade, pumped on juice, wrestled in college, still thinks Michael Jai White would beat his ass and publicly stated "no way" would he want any part of him.

Back