Muay Thai Gym Q&A

wow you took a moped around phuket and went to camps without checking the websites, you really do live life in the fast lane

I think its obvious that this is a forum, and everyone has their own opinions which are most likely somewhat biased, but these guys have been here before and are trying to help the other people on this forum, please share some helpful advice instead of just belittling other posters. I'm not saying your not knowledgeable, but this is a friendly online community please go post in the heavyweights if you want to bash other posters constantly. You did offer some good advice though: check out camps for yourself and dont plan your whole trip before you get off the plane guys, for a number of reasons, you might be stuck at the wrong gym with the wrong trainer, you might be paying too much, etc.

Sometimes you may not have time to check out five gyms and want to get the most out of your training. That's where having insight into the camp from others that have been is invaluable. Almost all gyms have set rates so I doubt you will be overcharged there. You may get overcharged paying for goods and services your first couples times out but you learn to barter quickly. That's also in the guidebook that you can pick up at your country's embassy or your local bookstore.

wow you took a moped around phuket and went to camps without checking the websites, you really do live life in the fast lane

He's a modern day Indiana Jones and he saw them all in 2 days!:icon_chee

Children... can we get back to the gym reviews?
jk but for real, bring them on

Sometimes you may not have time to check out five gyms and want to get the most out of your training. That's where having insight into the camp from others that have been is invaluable. Almost all gyms have set rates so I doubt you will be overcharged there. You may get overcharged paying for goods and services your first couples times out but you learn to barter quickly. That's also in the guidebook that you can pick up at your country's embassy or your local bookstore.

when I said overcharged I was thinking of the first time I went and trained in Phuket, I reserved and payed for a bungalow at the camp only to find out later I was paying way too much. Alternate accommodation you find for yourself is usually cheaper, and isnt advertised on internet sites. And I wasnt saying go to 5 camps or every camp in the area, just find a camp that feels right. It might be the first camp you visit, but I have definitely stayed too long at a camp I didnt like because I wanted the cheap monthly rate so I paid upfront, and also have paid short visits to other camps I wish had trained at longer instead of where I stayed. I never said having the insight from other people wasnt invaluable man I know that, this thread is awesome, keep the reviews coming!

hahaha you guys are lame . your the type of people who come over here and have there whole trip planned out before they even get off the plane where the f$#@ is the excitment in that . all i can say is that i have checked out almost every gym in phuket and not by there web site . just rent a motorbike take 2 days and check out all the camps in the area you want to train at

I have no interest in your attacks but you have a few points I'd like to rebut:

1) I'm not looking for "excitement" on my trip. Around here people do what you're describing after they've finished their basic schooling around the age of 15-18. I'm looking for quality training and I like to research my options before I do things. For me "excitement" and "adventure" are completely secondary to the experience of training full time at a good camp in case.

2) I value the input of people who have trained at camps for several weeks or months quite far above the impression I'd get if I just got on a moped and zig zagged through the country taking quick looks at camps. What makes you think you're able to properly evaluate all the camps in Phuket in two days on a bike? That claim makes you completely trust worthy.

3) Have you noticed how some of us keep asking questions in these threads? It's because we take all the input we get with a grain of salt and want to hear as much as possible from as many as possible before we decide on what to do...

I think this thread is great and I'll definitely be using it in the future. Bookmarked for sure!

Here's my review on Muaythai Institute:

Address: 317 Pahonyothin Road, Prachatipat Thanyaburee, Pathumthani 12130
Phone: (02) 9920096-99
Web: Welcome to MuayThai Institute, Rangsit Thailand recognized by Ministry of Education and World MuayThai Council. High-Standard MuayThai training with Certificate & Transcript!!

First, and this is the most important, do NOT come here if you are an EXPERIENCED Muaythai practitioner!! This gym is definitely here for farang who pretty much need to learn from the ground up without being thrown into the difficulties of a fighter camp. To my mistake, I thought it was different than this. However, being here shows me how 'good' this place is for guys who don't know anything or know very little. It's definitely a place that will teach you the basics of Muaythai well and properly. But again, if you know your stuff, do NOT come here.

Location: MTI is about 25 minutes or so (north, I think?) away from BKK in the Rangsit area. There are many things around the area when it comes to food, and entertainment. Future Park Mall is only about a 15 minute walk away, a 8 minute cab ride or a 5 minute motorbike taxi ride away. The mall is HUGE and has everything you'd ever need. Also, there is a Major Cineplex attached to it as well, and a bowling alley. There is also plenty of street vendors about 5 minutes away, with a Makro to buy groceries only a 15 minute walk away as well. To me, being in Rangsit was a little nicer because there are 'barely' any farang around. The people seem generally nicer than the experiences I had in BKK, but you're definitely stared at/giggled at much more here. You get used to it. Also, since this isn't BKK, you won't find near as many people who can speak English, so make sure you at least know some basics. (hello, thank you, chicken, rice, you know... :p)

There is also a bar literally 2 minutes away if you are interested in a little Saturday night drinking. Rangsit Stadium is right there as well but unfortunately it is closed for renovations. Normally, they'd hold fights there every Tues/Thurs, which would be nice to see. And a hotel to stay at if you don't wanna stay in the camp dorm. (ie. you want to bring back Thai girls or hookers)

Gym: The training area is very big and spacious and has plenty of equipment. There are probably about 7-8 long heavybags, with another 5 shorter sandbags, some double end speed bags, those fat teardrop bags that I don't know what they're officially called, and two rings. You can also buy any sort of equipment you want here as they have a fully stocked store. I'm not too sure whether or not the prices are fair or not, but they're definitely cheaper than anything you'd find in North America. I'm sure in BKK, you can probably find even cheaper. Shorts are about 500 baht, gloves 800 baht, and you can buy pads, heavybags, etc.

8722_518896108802_292100233_1044783_6271503_n.jpg

Training: There are 4 sessions per day that you can show up to. 7-9, 12-2, 3-5, 5:30-7:30. They generally recommend you come to 7-9 and 3-5, but if you wanted, you could show up at any of those 4 times to train. One negative here is warming up is very 'light'. You won't be running 8-10km to warmup like a lot of other 'serious' camps. Pretty much running around the training area, jump rope, or tire, for about 20 minutes is what is used for warmup. Depending on your prior knowledge of Muaythai, you will be thrown into different things. New people to Muaythai will begin with basics like jab, cross, kicking, steps, etc. Intermediate will start getting into knees, combinations, etc. Advanced you will get shadow, pad work, then sand bag to generally end the training.

The afternoon class usually consists of similar stuff for beginners/intermediate. Advanced generally will get a couple rounds of shadow, then sandbag, or sparring techniques, sparring, clinching. Overall, none of the sessions are overly difficult. The atmosphere is pretty 'laid back' and fun. The Thai's that train here are not 'serious' fighters. They might be older and past their prime and come to mess around. Others are just there to learn, for exercise, etc. The trainers are all ex-champs I believe except for one, who seems to be relegated to teaching only little kids. The range of English proficiency in the trainers range from very little to fluent. But I think like most people, once you talk to them for a certain amount of time, you begin to piece their English together better and can actually converse/understand eachother.

Overall, MTI is a good camp and it's definitely a place where people who want to learn Muaythai but are too scared to go to one of the more 'serious' camps can flourish here. My recommendation, if anyone is a little weary about a fighter camp, is to come here for a month, learn the basics from the ground up, then go to a fighter camp. 1 month here, if you train enough, is enough to get a good base of Muaythai where you could go to another serious camp without having any problems. However, if you already are experienced, this is definitely not the place for you.

You may call us twits but we make shit happen, live our dreams, and achieve our goals. What does that make you?? You aren't shit!! I'll tell your momma your aren't SHIT via text message, email, or on her deathbed.

Sorry to be disrespectful people but this guy brought it on himself. He is as useful as a bag of used tampons.

so cali we are finally making some progress with the whole fighting thing so you had 2 friends and your wife go to some of your fights . well one of them had to get a picture of you in the ring during the fight or before or after . so lets just have if no video proof then at least a picture . i know you must have trained your wife on how to operate a camera with her hoofs.

oh and sorry about the typing skills i dont live my life on the computer like you poindexter.

and i dont see any point of me posting any pictures of me in "siam" (just say thailand nerd) because you have know idea what i look like and you will just say its not me .. but i know what you look like i have been talking to someone at rawai who was here when you were not to many black tobias out there . ps they said you suck

so if you post the pics i will drop not step on your toes again but if you dont everyone knows your full of shit

thanks for the indiana jones compliment:cool:

so cali we are finally making some progress with the whole fighting thing so you had 2 friends and your wife go to some of your fights . well one of them had to get a picture of you in the ring during the fight or before or after . so lets just have if no video proof then at least a picture . i know you must have trained your wife on how to operate a camera with her hoofs.

oh and sorry about the typing skills i dont live my life on the computer like you poindexter.

and i dont see any point of me posting any pictures of me in "siam" (just say thailand nerd) because you have know idea what i look like and you will just say its not me .. but i know what you look like i have been talking to someone at rawai who was here when you were not to many black tobias out there . ps they said you suck

so if you post the pics i will drop not step on your toes again but if you dont everyone knows your full of shit

Why don't you review some gyms instead of bashing other posters? Only pro fighters with 50+ fights are allowed to post on these forums now? Your not contributing anything to this thread at all, and as it continues to grow people arent going to want to read through your comments while looking for information, so please review some gyms, give some advice, and stop insulting people...

Thanks to those who reviewed the gyms and gave useful information. Nice to hear multiple people's input on training in Thailand. I plan on making the trip next year.

Superb thread.

I have question to all those who have been for a long(- MORE THE 6 MONTHS) stay in Thailand. - Which gym helped you with student letter application and should stay at the same gym all the time?

I have written an e-mail to one gym about student letter application but haven't yet got any respond.

I want to train different gyms under a long term student visa. Maybe over 6 months staying 3 different gyms.

Thanks for help.

hahaha you guys are lame . your the type of people who come over here and have there whole trip planned out before they even get off the plane where the f$#@ is the excitment in that . all i can say is that i have checked out almost every gym in phuket and not by there web site . just rent a motorbike take 2 days and check out all the camps in the area you want to train at

oh and cali that inside kungfu mag joke is almost as funny as you saying that you lost all the video proof of the 5 epic fights you had in thailand .

face it your one of the guys who come here then go back home and tell all your friends that you were so good and they had no opponents for you and thats why you didnt fight

oh and for every other little follower in here live your life by the tour book never go outside the lines

hows that for a cliche you f#@$ing twits

Somehow i think this was just...unnecessary

GYM: phuthong gym

Where: One of two small gym in Chumphon

How to get there: The gym is only 5-10 min walk from the city. Its on the other side of the railway. But you are better of going there by taxi the first time. You will see a poster from the gym on the wall of most of the guesthouses in Chumphon, so if you call the gym, they will send a guy to get you on motorbike. I just walked to the gym every day, once i knew the way.

Training times: The gym is open from 8am - 8pm. This is a small gym (on ring, 2 heavybags, and just a normal training-place for shadowboxing, rope and other stuff). There are allmost no other farangs here, so you are going to get alot of good training from great trainers. They speak good english / ok english, so no problem getting the information you need.

Accomodation and Food: When i was there (september 2009), they has just started making a combined bar/resturant/guesthouse. It should be finished by late 2010. I had a cheap 150 bath room at farang-bar. A guesthouse just 5-10 min walk from the gym.

Trainingprices: I dont remember the whole list. But once work-out is 200 bath (90 min), or 300 bath for a long work-out (about 3 hours). One week cost 1000 bath. Very cheap IMO. And good training too. You could train 2 times a day if you want. There is also a dirty and hardcore weight-gym just a short walk from the gym.

The coaches: I had two main trainers. Agi and Kae (spelling might be wrong). They both speek good enough english. The main coach of the gym (kae) is a very tall (for a thai-guy) former fighter. A real bad-ass. He has a brother who is a famous fighter in bangkok. Dont remember the name, but i will ask him in a e-mail. He is veri serious and hard during training, but your best and most friendly guy when we dont train. Great guy.

The style of Muay Thai they teach at the gym is very basic and no-nonsense. The main element of the style is to avoid the attack, and counter with a strong kick or knee. Even in boxing-range, they want you to avoid the punches, and counter with a elbow (or knees followed with a elbow). I tried to used some double-guard blocking like rampage or CM-style. But that was just stupid way of blocking i was told. :icon_lol:

Conclusion A small but nice gym in a small town. That mean you are probably going to be the only guy there who are not thai. But its all good. They take care of you.

ebd.jpg

ebd.jpg

ebd.jpg

I thought Thailand would be some sort of smoked-out paradise.

I was detained by the police on my first night there for trying to buy some sweet sticky-icky. Homeboy wasn't taking any bribes, either - "you go to jail". Luckily I hadn't actually taken hold of anything so they let me go (very reluctantly). Scariest experience of my life. I know a lot of people who've been there and had a super smokey time without any problems... was I just really unlucky?

go to thailand for training.. not drugs.

I was detained by the police on my first night there for trying to buy some sweet sticky-icky. Homeboy wasn't taking any bribes, either - "you go to jail". Luckily I hadn't actually taken hold of anything so they let me go (very reluctantly). Scariest experience of my life. I know a lot of people who've been there and had a super smokey time without any problems... was I just really unlucky?

Don't press ur luck, please man, for your own sake lol.

Your fucking dumb dude. Drop the 14 year old attitude, smoking weed is totally fine but acting like that in other places is going to get your teeth smashed out so you can't bite down.

Firstly. You will get banned soon enough, and I will make sure of that. Your join date is sep 09, so I assume you were banned before.

You are contributing Nada, and your main goal is to attack Cali. Do you get angry someone in here do something very creative and try to help guys who want to go to Thailand for training? Are you angry you didn't come up with the excellent idea Cali did, making this thread?

Stop ruining this thread.

You miserable mofo.

I am a Thai veteran, don't try to belittle me with a reply.

Once again. Cali... You are doing a very good job in here!

Cali for K-1 and Kickboxing future mod!

Location: We are located in a quiet Bangkok neighborhood off of Rama 9, about 20 minutes from Suvarnabhumi airport. In the area we have several small stores that sell essentials (family run seven eleven type stores), a hospital within walking distance with a food court, au bon pain, juice bar, salon, pharmacy and a family mart convenience store open 24 hours, and plenty of cheap street food. We arent far from downtown and we have taxi meters at the hotel available 24 hours.

How to get there: our address is 37,37/1-3, 39 Praram 9 Soi 57 (Visetsuk 3),
Suanluang Bangkok, Thailand. The easiest way to arrange transportation is to email us or call us at 0869021313 (+66869021313 if you are calling us internationally) or 0852180706 (+66852180706 if you are calling us internationally) and arrange us to pick you up, if you are staying for atleast a week airport transportation is free roundtrip. Most taxi drivers will understand 13 coins Pa Ram 9, but we would prefer you call us and have us talk to the taxi drivers as we have 9 hotels and 16 restaurants and Bangkok taxi drivers love to play dumb, they "get lost" or take you to the wrong branch (as they will with any camp in Bangkok, no matter what camp your going to in Thailand, watch out for taxi drivers, don't pay 1,000 baht at the airport to reach your hotel in Bangkok).

Training: We follow a typical thai reutine, training twice a day, monday through saturday, 7-10 in the morning and 4-7 in the evening. We do a longer run in the morning, and more padwork/clinching in the afternoons but both sessions are essentially the same.

Accommodation: Guests usually stay at the 13 coins Airport Grand Resort where the gym is located. So we offer hotel style accommodation (private room with cable tv, air con, room cleaning and laundry service, pool and snooker tables, ping pong, 24 hour restaurant/room service, free internet and WIFI, etc.)

Trainers: Saenchai's trainers Dja and Son are here, aswell as Orono Por Muang Ubon, as well as one other trainer (Cha) and one trainer for the young/female boxers. They are all amazing, I would say Orono is the best to work with for beginners, and Dja/Son for the advanced boxers.

Check out our website for more information: www.drsaenchaimuaythai.com

Firstly. You will get banned soon enough, and I will make sure of that. Your join date is sep 09, so I assume you were banned before.

go ahead ban i dont give a damm. your still a tool

You are contributing Nada, and your main goal is to attack Cali. Do you get angry someone in here do something very creative and try to help guys who want to go to Thailand for training? Are you angry you didn't come up with the excellent idea
Cali did, making this thread?

cali was talking shit about the wrong gym running his mouth like his the best . and if your going to talk shit prepared to get called out. all i want him to do is prove his skills if he can bash other camps training styles all i want him to do is show me the skills he learned from these other camps to prove hes better

Stop ruining this thread.
didnt want to ruin a thread but just trying to get a response

You miserable mofo.
i am actually a cool guy not miserable at all

I am a Thai veteran, don't try to belittle me with a reply.

i dont care if your a thai veteran. what does that make you cool or something
no it does not

Once again. Cali... You are doing a very good job in here!
some of cali post are good but some are shit

Cali for K-1 and Kickboxing future mod!
obama for president!

Back