Muay Thai Gym Q&A

I am going to be in Thailand a week or so mostly just railay bay area but spending a few days in bangkok specifically to hit a gym or two just for fun. Want to do a proper camp for a few months but not this trip, already have some recommendations but thought I would ask where good spots to drop in are right now.

Would love some clinch work, for what its worth I have been training 5-6 years have a few amateur kickboxing fights and have a bum knee at the moment might be a limiting factor haha.

^^^^^^ I've been recommended Kaewphitak muay thai in Phuket for some good old fashion Muay Thai.

I'll be back in June for a least 3 months, keen to see what they did to Tiger Muay Thai with its new renovations
I know It's mostly a fat camp, with lazy trainers ,and get shot down alot here lol. But I come from a lonely, sad town back in OZ and love the social aspect of it. I make good friends there!

Phuket Top Team gets my vote around that area (Chalong Rd in Phuket)
So I may divided my time between Sitsongpeenong, Tiger, and PTT.

I learnt my lesson from last year and do not recommend AKA.

^^^^^^ I've been recommended Kaewphitak muay thai in Phuket for some good old fashion Muay Thai.

I'll be back in June for a least 3 months, keen to see what they did to Tiger Muay Thai with its new renovations
I know It's mostly a fat camp, with lazy trainers ,and get shot down alot here lol. But I come from a lonely, sad town back in OZ and love the social aspect of it. I make good friends there!

Phuket Top Team gets my vote around that area (Chalong Rd in Phuket)
So I may divided my time between Sitsongpeenong, Tiger, and PTT.

I learnt my lesson from last year and do not recommend AKA.

Why not try Rattachai gym, one street over from Tiger.

How was your experience at Rattachai @Dat?

http://phukettopteam.com/full-timetable-layout.php

Now I'm leaning towards Top Team. Because of the training programs they offer at times, I can get better Bang for my Bucks.

Only couple days but it was great. However I was there right when they opened and people hadn't yet discovered it. Not sure how it is now that they have a steady flow of students. Good fighter and trainer though.

Hi, in the next month I'm going to the Netherlands.
I'm looking good gym k1/MMA in Nijmegen or close Nijmegen.
Thanks

Anyone have experiences of Diamond in Koh Phangan, Sinbi and Sitsongpeenong Phuket? I'm going to Thailand to train at one of these this summer, just can't decide which.
Any reviews or tips are appreciated.

Think I am finally going to get out to train next year, will be heading out for around 3 weeks all in with one week of not training.

I will be going with my other half so have came to the agreement of staying at hotel with me training for 2 of the weeks. Due to this I am looking at Phuket as a location.

Have done so much research, however always best to try and gain info from people who have been.

I am thinking of going to one of the following - AKA or Phuket Top Team.

The reason for this is based in facilities, times of training and coaches.

Just looking to see if anyone has been and any recommendations.

Also any good equipment shops in the area?

Thanks,

I'm travelling to Bangkok to train at Sitsongpeenong. It's going to be my first time in Thailand. I've had experience in kickboxing, but none in MT.
Anyone got any tips, experiences, stories, etc.?

Anyone have experiences of Diamond in Koh Phangan, Sinbi and Sitsongpeenong Phuket? I'm going to Thailand to train at one of these this summer, just can't decide which.
Any reviews or tips are appreciated.

I personally loved Sinbi. It's a very busy gym which turns some off, but it's well managed and has a positive vibe overall. If you are at the right level and also closer in weight you may spar or clinch with their fighters. Otherwise it's a lot of farangs of varying skill. Pad holders are numerous so even with big classes you will get your 5 rounds on the pads. As with any gym, I recommend take some group classes mixed with privates to get the most of training.

My buddies loved it too and just arrived last week for another 8 weeks. We all went last year around the same time. I'm going back in May, but probably can't train, just sight seeing.

Think I am finally going to get out to train next year, will be heading out for around 3 weeks all in with one week of not training.

I will be going with my other half so have came to the agreement of staying at hotel with me training for 2 of the weeks. Due to this I am looking at Phuket as a location.

Have done so much research, however always best to try and gain info from people who have been.

I am thinking of going to one of the following - AKA or Phuket Top Team.

The reason for this is based in facilities, times of training and coaches.

Just looking to see if anyone has been and any recommendations.

Also any good equipment shops in the area?

Thanks,

AKA sucks mate! Go with PTT, you won't regret it.

Also you'll find a couple of shops easily with Muay Thai and MMA gear on that same road, although Top Team does have it's own shop

AKA sucks mate! Go with PTT, you won't regret it.

Also you'll find a couple of shops easily with Muay Thai and MMA gear on that same road, although Top Team does have it's own shop

Excellent, thanks for this.

Will contact Top Team about training there.

At my gym, most of the people show up a little early before class to wrap their hands. As soon as the actual class starts, we begin skipping rope. After that, we might take turns hitting the heavy bag or holding thai pads for our partners and vice versa. I don't know if any of you feel the same way, but skipping rope and holding pads with wrapped hands feels weird and uncomfortable, definitely not optimal, for me anyway. Not to mention, taking turns holding the pads, requires taking the pads off, putting gloves on and vice versa, this kinda screws up the wrap job.

Is this normal, skipping rope and holding pads with wrapped hands?

At my gym, most of the people show up a little early before class to wrap their hands. As soon as the actual class starts, we begin skipping rope. After that, we might take turns hitting the heavy bag or holding thai pads for our partners and vice versa. I don't know if any of you feel the same way, but skipping rope and holding pads with wrapped hands feels weird and uncomfortable, definitely not optimal, for me anyway. Not to mention, taking turns holding the pads, requires taking the pads off, putting gloves on and vice versa, this kinda screws up the wrap job.

It can be a bit awkward with the wraps on but it's not uncommon by any means. If you do the wraps right they will usually stay on fairly well. Get that extra "figure 8" around the hand before you're done and they usually stay on fine.

Depends how you're wrapping your hands.

I don't notice any difference skipping with my wraps on vs no wraps. Having wraps while holding pads is only a problem when taking it off but even then it's not often that happens to me.

I agree with you, your gym/trainer are noobs lol

Every camp in Thailand I've trained at, we hand wrapped after skipping/road work before shadow, bag, pads, sparring. Taking them off before clinch.
And fuck holding pads lol I'm paying to train, not training others :D

Back