multiple people talking to you at once

P

Pwent

I can't stand when multiple people talk to me at once, especially if one person sees youre in conversation and just walks over and starts talking at the same time as the other person.

I made a mistake and broke character with one girl in my office when she brought up north korea, and gave a detailed complex answer. Now, her and her fellow hen keep coming over to me and talking to me about it, and they both talk at the same time, completely ignoring if the other one is talking. At the same time, theres a guy who wont shut the fuck up about earthquakes because apparently there was an earthquake in mexico city.

So I'm trying to type something and there are two girls standing across my desk talking at the same time. While theyre talking, theres a guy yelling my name to get my attention "(PWENT)! (PWENT)!", but of course neither girl pauses for me to acknowledge the guy.

I want to yell and tell everyone to shut the fuck up, but I'm not trying to create that environment, so I'm considering just running out of the office.

Can't stand that. The worst is when people start talking to me when they can CLEARLY see I'm on the phone. What....the...fuck?

That just happened to me 20 minutes ago. It causes me so much stress trying to not be rude to both people.

I was talking about a movie to someone and we were exchanging opinions, and I was trying to listen to him. In comes another guy to join the convo and he just starts grilling me about the movie wondering if he should see it. I'm trying to respond to him; all the while trying to listen to the other guy and my mind is just exploding.

How do people not see how rude this is? It puts me in a scenario where I'm the dick to somebody. If I try to listen to both, I'll miss a lot from one person and I'm the dick. If I ignore the person interrupting, I'm a dick for ignoring because they weren't trying to cause any harm. If I start a new convo with the new person and blow off the original one, I'm a huge dick.

I know the answer is to be a dick to the guy interrupting, but why should it have gotten to that? It's like a curb your enthusiasm moment.

I know the feels. sometimes I wish Sherdog posting format was applicable in real life.

You need one of these...

3-digit-take-a-number-system-wireless-countertop.jpg

Can't stand that. The worst is when people start talking to me when they can CLEARLY see I'm on the phone. What....the...fuck?

i fucking hate that shit, and it happens to me a lot. i spend a lot of time on the phone at work

im really good at multitasking like i can follow the phone conversation while shitposting on sherdog or something, but i cant focus my hearing on two conversations at once

so i leave a post it thing and a pen on the edge of my desk so when someone runs in to tell me something, i just point at it and tell them to write it down, then i just give them a thumbs up or write down an answer

been a life saver

the worst is when you're at a bar, or under the influence & you're getting all riled up exchanging with your friends/colleagues &the buzz killingtons are trying to weasel into a an on going conversation, just inserting themselves in & shit

I have two old crazy ass sisters next door who always ask me to fix their shit. When I go over there and I'm focusing on fixing their computer or door or whatever, one asks me how life is and gets into my friends and family and stuff and the other will talk to me at the same time about some random shit like a dog that had three legs on the news or whatever. I either have to be half drunk when I go there in order to deal with them, or like I've been doing lately, I don't answer the door. A couple of times the one has said "I know you're in there" but idgaf lol

That just happened to me 20 minutes ago. It causes me so much stress trying to not be rude to both people.

I was talking about a movie to someone and we were exchanging opinions, and I was trying to listen to him. In comes another guy to join the convo and he just starts grilling me about the movie wondering if he should see it. I'm trying to respond to him; all the while trying to listen to the other guy and my mind is just exploding.

How do people not see how rude this is? It puts me in a scenario where I'm the dick to somebody. If I try to listen to both, I'll miss a lot from one person and I'm the dick. If I ignore the person interrupting, I'm a dick for ignoring because they weren't trying to cause any harm. If I start a new convo with the new person and blow off the original one, I'm a huge dick.

I know the answer is to be a dick to the guy interrupting, but why should it have gotten to that? It's like a curb your enthusiasm moment.

yeah, puts you in a bad spot. it's not as bad when the first person realizes whats going on and stops talking, so I can give a quick response to the 2nd person, then go back to talking to the first. if its on the same subject, i'll pull a pro play and answer the second person by involving the first.

like in your example, i'll say "well what (person 1) was saying was,..." so that way it becomes a threeway convo and nobodys excluded

but when both completely ignore each other's existence and talk simultaneously, theres no easy way out of it

yeah, puts you in a bad spot. it's not as bad when the first person realizes whats going on and stops talking, so I can give a quick response to the 2nd person, then go back to talking to the first. if its on the same subject, i'll pull a pro play and answer the second person by involving the first.

like in your example, i'll say "well what (person 1) was saying was,..." so that way it becomes a threeway convo and nobodys excluded

but when both completely ignore each other's existence and talk simultaneously, theres no easy way out of it
Killer tactic. I'll try that out.

The correct response is to start humming or whistling

For the last few years of her life I would often drive my mother to her doctors appointments. And we would usually go through a drive-thru on the way back. She would always yell stuff out while I was trying to order, which drove me mental.

So eventually I would have to stop and ask her to tell me every single thing she wanted before we went through.

"Yes, I will make sure I say the burger needs to be well done. And no sauces. Yes, I'll make sure they don't forget the straw this time. Yes, I will make sure we get salt and pepper. All good?"

Start to order

"Napkins. Ask for napkins."

God damn it, mom.

hahaha!! that's fucking hilarious! I do the SAME SHIT

like I have this complex where I don't want to mistakenly be perceived as an asshole & shit, but then I have to be crafty with my banter/social etiquette so as to eliminate potential awkward moments from happening. you never want to leave one person out or hanging during these situations, specifically the person/people you enjoy speaking with.

hahaha!! that's fucking hilarious! I do the SAME SHIT

like I have this complex where I don't want to mistakenly be perceived as an asshole & shit, but then I have to be crafty with my banter/social etiquette so as to eliminate potential awkward moments from happening. you never want to leave one person out or hanging during these situations, specifically the person/people you enjoy speaking with.

YES

it also doubles as a tool, when youre stuck in a conversation about something you dont care about, but you dont want to be rude so youre pretending to be interested. once you get them talking to each other, you can slowly slide away, or at least just phase out and let them talk while you just sit there drinking your beer or whatever

For the last few years of her life I would often drive my mother to her doctors appointments. And we would usually go through a drive-thru on the way back. She would always yell stuff out while I was trying to order, which drove me mental.

So eventually I would have to stop and ask her to tell me every single thing she wanted before we went through.

"Yes, I will make sure I say the burger needs to be well done. And no sauces. Yes, I'll make sure they don't forget the straw this time. Yes, I will make sure we get salt and pepper. All good?"

Start to order

"Napkins. Ask for napkins."

God damn it, mom.

lmao, my mom does that shit too

whats worse is everytime my mom says something, in ANY situation, she first just says your name, then pauses and then talks. sometimes if you dont acknowledge her saying your name, shell just keep repeating it until you stop and acknowledge her

when she does it multiple times in a row, making me acknowledge her over and over, i fucking lose it

"PWENT!... ... whens your sister getting here"
i dont know, she said shes on her way
"PWENT!... when did you talk to her"
10 minutes ago when i was driving here
"PWENT! ... PWENT... PWENT... do you want to try texting her?"
me:<1>

YES

it also doubles as a tool, when youre stuck in a conversation about something you dont care about, but you dont want to be rude so youre pretending to be interested. once you get them talking to each other, you can slowly slide away, or at least just phase out and let them talk while you just sit there drinking your beer or whatever

haha yup! on the show "The League", they highlight an exit strategy similar to this - like when a buzz killington would leech on to you & you'd want out except you'd be stuck with him/her. they called the exit strategy method "the friend off" (you meet up with someone, introduce them to each other, say you'd have to make a phone call or any other valid reason to step away, & just up & leave. when they would confront you'd just say you had an emergency.

Should have stuck with the food truck ROFL.

a food truck is all i could afford out of college and it made good money, then my business partner died so i sold it for enough money to start the business i have now

i dont think owning a food truck in your early 20s is embarrassing

a food truck is all i could afford out of college and it made good money, then my business partner died so i sold it for enough money to start the business i have now

i dont think owning a food truck in your early 20s is embarrassing

Respect, not easy. sorry for your loss.

I can't stand when multiple people talk to me at once, especially if one person sees youre in conversation and just walks over and starts talking at the same time as the other person.

I made a mistake and broke character with one girl in my office when she brought up north korea, and gave a detailed complex answer. Now, her and her fellow hen keep coming over to me and talking to me about it, and they both talk at the same time, completely ignoring if the other one is talking. At the same time, theres a guy who wont shut the fuck up about earthquakes because apparently there was an earthquake in mexico city.

So I'm trying to type something and there are two girls standing across my desk talking at the same time. While theyre talking, theres a guy yelling my name to get my attention "(PWENT)! (PWENT)!", but of course neither girl pauses for me to acknowledge the guy.

I want to yell and tell everyone to shut the fuck up, but I'm not trying to create that environment, so I'm considering just running out of the office.
I can't stand talking to multiple people at once, so I started a thread to talk to multiple people at once...

Back