MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (Sequel in the Works)

If you have seen MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
LOL @ the extremely out of place music at the end.

Looks fun though. I actually know nothing about this story. I just know that it's a famous book.

Man, avoiding spoilers is gonna be tough.

I can't wait! I love parlor mysteries, who dunits. Like this cast. Wish they would redo some of the old Charlie Chans, but I guess to much racial undertones that would piss people off.

Wish they would redo some of the old Charlie Chans, but I guess to much racial undertones that would piss people off.

Funny you bring up Charlie Chan. About a year ago I found some Charlie Chan DVDs are the library and checked a few out. Charlie Chan in Egypt and Charlie Chan at the Opera are the two I remember.

I agree that some Charlie Chan remakes would be cool, but like you say it probably won't happen though. It's really kind of dumb, ultimately, because while there were some racial stereotypes Chan always came off as intelligent, kind-hearted and the hero of every story.

Funny you bring up Charlie Chan. About a year ago I found some Charlie Chan DVDs are the library and checked a few out. Charlie Chan in Egypt and Charlie Chan at the Opera are the two I remember.

I agree that some Charlie Chan remakes would be cool, but like you say it probably won't happen though. It's really kind of dumb, ultimately, because while there were some racial stereotypes Chan always came off as intelligent, kind-hearted and the hero of every story.

One issue that's easy to fix is to use a real Asian actor. The other issue is The Mantan Moreland Birmingham Brown character. He was awesome and funny but it would never fly today because he was a buffoonish black stereotype with the wide eyes "NO SIR, I ain't go in' in there!". Check at Charlie Chan in London, Charlie Chan at The Circus, Curse of The Jade Mask.

One issue that's easy to fix is to use a real Asian actor. The other issue is The Mantan Moreland Birmingham Brown character. He was awesome and funny but it would never fly today because he was a buffoonish black stereotype with the wide eyes "NO SIR, I ain't go in' in there!". Check at Charlie Chan in London, Charlie Chan at The Circus, Curse of The Jade Mask.

Yeah, it does seem like with a bit of adaptation for contemporary culture that Charlie Chan could still work. He is, after all, ultimately just a Chinese detective. There's nothing racist about making a film about a Chinese detective.

I'll check out London, Circus and Jade Mask.

NBD this is just Agatha Christie

21687620_10159309334200153_5454035045527607796_n.jpg

And her surfboard, Fred

I watched the 1945 And Then There Were None and the maybe 2015 recent version, which I thought would be better since it was newer and in color, but it kinda stunk.

There are two different Japanese versions (Soshite Daremo Inakunatta), but I didn't see any with subtitles.

The use of the Imagined Dragons song in the trailer has really grown on me.

Looking forward to this one. Awesome cast. I've seen the 1974 movie so I know the ending, but still I'm looking forward to see how this film is executed. Branagh is underrated.

The use of the Imagined Dragons song in the trailer has really grown on me.

I'm okay with it. Sure, it's anachronistic, but I think it works.

I've also considered that its use is an attempt to appeal to younger moviegoers. An Agatha Christie period piece with a lot of older actors is probably going to be a hard sell to the under-30 crowd.

Looking forward to this one. Awesome cast. I've seen the 1974 movie so I know the ending, but still I'm looking forward to see how this film is executed. Branagh is underrated.

The '74 version was my first exposure to the story and I loved it. Just an incredible movie.

I think that this is pretty much Branagh trying to re-create that experience: A lavish production of Christie's classic story from a veteran director with an all-star cast.

BTW, the BBC did a version in 2010 for their Poirot series. Not sure if you're familiar with it. While it's nowhere near the level of the '74 version, if you just love the story then it's worth a look. Not bad for a TV movie.

Thanks, saw it a few hours ago on some other site, looks better for me or at least starting to get used with this new version of him.

Thanks, saw it a few hours ago on some other site, looks better for me or at least starting to get used with this new version of him.

I'm okay with this take on Poirot. I also think that it looks like a visually gorgeous film. I mean, holy shit does it look nice!

It also seems like Branagh may be doing a few different things with the plot. I only say that because there were a couple of moments that I couldn't figure out what scene that would be from in the original story. I'm okay with that, though. I've read the book and seen two different film adaptations multiple times. I want this one to give me something I haven't seen before.

This was originally going to be a Fincher, right?

I believe you're thinking of the upcoming remake of Strangers on a Train.

Ah yes, the long-awaited sequel, starring Samuel L. Jackson.

"Enough is ENOUGH!!! I have had it with these motherfucking strangers, on this motherfucking train!!!"

Ah yes, the long-awaited sequel, starring Samuel L. Jackson.

"Enough is ENOUGH!!! I've had it with these motherfucking strangers, on this motherfucking train!!!"

LOL. I actually got curious and went looking for some info on it. The most recent thing I found was an article from 2015 saying that it's been delayed, so who knows if it will ever happen.

LOL. I actually got curious and went looking for some info on it. The most recent thing I found was an article from 2015 saying that it's been delayed, so who knows if it will ever happen.

Speaking of awesome train movies, did you see Train to Busan? That was a great surprise last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back