MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (Sequel in the Works)

If you have seen MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Yeah it's really good.

As for Fincher, last I heard he is working on the World War Z sequel

I may give it a look at some point.

And I did hear that about Fincher. Seems like a strange project for him to take on, though. I can't say that when I think "David Fincher" a movie like World War Z comes to mind, at all.

I may give it a look at some point.

And I did hear that about Fincher. Seems like a strange project for him to take on, though. I can't say that when I think "David Fincher" a movie like World War Z comes to mind, at all.

Apparently there were issues with the previous director and the project was in limbo, so Brad Pitt jumped in and pushed really hard to get Fincher onboard.

I've been dying for David Fincher to make a horror movie ever since Se7en in the 90s, which was a crime thriller that he somehow directed into a horror movie. It seems this is the closest I may get. And I actually loved WWZ, so I'm pretty excited about it.

WWZ was under rated. The scenes in the lab were great as were the wall in Israel.

Update: October 11, 2017

First Clip from MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS

65% after 26 reviews. I have to say, I'm a little surprised the score is not higher than that. Last I looked it was 71% so hopefully some more positives will come in that will bump the score back up.

I think that I will enjoy it regardless, but I want it to also do well financially so we can get some more big screen adaptations of Christie's stories.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/murder_on_the_orient_express_2017

Capture.png

65% after 26 reviews. I have to say, I'm a little surprised the score is not higher than that. Last I looked it was 71% so hopefully some more positives will come in that will bump the score back up.

I think that I will enjoy it regardless, but I want it to also do well financially so we can get some more big screen adaptations of Christie's stories.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/murder_on_the_orient_express_2017

Capture.png

I was really looking forward to this. 65% isn't a great score, but I've seen really good movies with a similar or lower score. Probably was going to wait to video anyways. Lmk how it is.

I went to see this on Friday. It's ok, nothing amazing, but I enjoyed it for what it is. It's the kind of film that's made for a lazy Sunday afternoon

Very starry cast tho a lot of them don't get much screen time. I didn't know the story before hand and was a bit underwhelmed by the twist.

Kenneth Brannaghs moustache is very impressive.

6/10.

I was really looking forward to this. 65% isn't a great score, but I've seen really good movies with a similar or lower score. Probably was going to wait to video anyways. Lmk how it is.

I think you should go see it anyway!

I went to see this on Friday. It's ok, nothing amazing, but I enjoyed it for what it is. It's the kind of film that's made for a lazy Sunday afternoon

Very starry cast tho a lot of them don't get much screen time. I didn't know the story before hand and was a bit underwhelmed by the twist.

Kenneth Brannaghs moustache is very impressive.

6/10.

How were you able to see it early?

I think I just had this movie spoiled for me

@shadow_priest_x you know the ending right?
The detective is not the killer is he? I was listening to a review of the movie and they said his character was the only one with layers and all the other characters felt flat.

I think I just had this movie spoiled for me

@shadow_priest_x you know the ending right?
The detective is not the killer is he? I was listening to a review of the movie and they said his character was the only one with layers and all the other characters felt flat.

You're fine. The detective is not the killer, no.

Stuckmann likes it:

"This is a charming, old-fashioned movie that fans of crime novels, or especially of murder mysteries, are really going to eat up."

All right, at long last, I got to see this new adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express.

Before I say anything else, let me get this out there: As I was watching the movie, I realized that it would be very hard for me to say how "good" this movie is. The reason is because, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have already read the book and seen two different film adaptations, both of which I've watched multiple times. Being THAT familiar with the story, there weren't a lot of surprises here, and I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to be experiencing the story for the first time.

With that said, do I feel like this was a good adaptation of a story that I was already so familiar with? Yes, I think so.

First off, the movie is gorgeous. From a visual standpoint, it's easily one of the best movies I've seen all year. In fact, there are individual shots that are some of the most beautiful shots that I've seen in any movie, ever. Every once in a while there's an obvious green screen shot that managed to take me out of the movie a bit, but all in all the movie looks great and should satisfy anyone who wants a lavish-looking film that puts the money on the screen.

The cast is also great. Some reviewers have complained that Hercule Poirot, our detective, is the only fleshed out character in the movie. In a way that's true, yes. I think that previous versions of the story did a better job of rounding out each character and giving the viewer a good idea of who they are. But you do have to remember that the story is about a detective on a train where someone has been murdered and there's a whole group of suspects, so you can't expect all the various characters to get a ton of screen time. Everyone does well with the screen time they have, though, and it's nice to see someone like Michelle Pfeiffer--who has kind of been off the radar for a long time now--in a major motion picture like this.

Kenneth Branagh is also quite good as Poirot. Any Agatha Christie fan will know that multiple actors have played the detective, the main ones being Albert Finney in the 1974 adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express, Peter Ustinov in the 1978 adaptation of Death on the Nile (and a few others), and most importantly David Suchet in the very long-running BBC series Poirot. Suchet is widely regarded as the DEFINITIVE take on the character. I do not disagree with that, but I think that Branagh's take is a very good, and he easily comes in second place.

And that leaves the narrative. Obviously it's a story that I personally love. Branagh makes a few changes but they are all superficial in nature. He invents a few scenes that aren't in the original story, adds a couple of brief action beats, and makes a few more changes here and there, but the core of the story is still very much the same. Like I said, I think it's another good telling of the story. While Branagh does switch some things up here and there, anyone who is already familiar with MOTOE shouldn't expect too many surprises. There are a few things I think he could've done differently--I feel like I could envision certain scenes playing out in better ways--but all in all it's a well-directed take on Christie's mystery.

I feel like the 1974 version is still the best adaptation, but this version is superior in some ways, most notably in that Branagh > Finney as Poirot. Altogether I'm going to give it a 7.5/10. Would that score be higher OR lower if I was experiencing the story for the first time? I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back