MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (Sequel in the Works)

If you have seen MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I guess I'm just the only motherfucker to go see this this weekend.

Jesus, even GeoStorm got at least a few Sherdoggers into the theater.
Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Didn't know anything about the story going in and avoided all spoilers. Took my mother to see it, and when it was done she looked over at me and said, "Well, that was brilliant!"
I've only read one Agatha Christie novel, And Then There Were None, way back when I was in grade 6 and remember thinking it was a great book. Kinda want to read this book now, and see the other movie versions of it.
Honestly, thought all the characters were well acted, and thought Kenneth Branagh was amazing, loved all his little quirks, "Can you please straighten your tie!"

Also, makes me want to take a train on a long trip!

Oh yeah, and the theatre was packed, sold out, lots of laughs throughout the movie too

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Didn't know anything about the story going in and avoided all spoilers. Took my mother to see it, and when it was done she looked over at me and said, "Well, that was brilliant!"
I've only read one Agatha Christie novel, And Then There Were None, way back when I was in grade 6 and remember thinking it was a great book. Kinda want to read this book now, and see the other movie versions of it.
Honestly, thought all the characters were well acted, and thought Kenneth Branagh was amazing, loved all his little quirks, "Can you please straighten your tie!"

Also, makes me want to take a train on a long trip!

Oh yeah, and the theatre was packed, sold out, lots of laughs throughout the movie too

Awesome, man! Really glad to hear that you and your mom liked it.

I read And Then There Were None myself just a few years ago. Good book. You should definitely check out the MOTOE book as well as the 1974 and 2010 film adaptations. (But stay far away from the 2001 adaptation.) And if you happen to want more Agatha Christie after that, I'd recommend reading Cards on the Table. It's a fun, breezy read.

I agree with Kenneth Branagh being awesome. He was a great Poirot, and in my opinion easily the second best behind David Suchet, who protrayed Poirot in the British ITV series of the same name for over 25 years. (Just so you're aware, ITV has adapted EVERY SINGLE Poirot book. They started in 1989 and finished up just a few years ago.)

And lastly, I have long thought it would be awesome to take a train trip on a luxury train like the Orient Express. I actually did take a three-day trip on an Amtrak train, but that is nothing like the OE. Maybe one day I'll get a chance to do that. I actually would like to see the rail lines greatly expanded in the US so that trains could be a more practical alternative to flying.

Last edited by a moderator:
$51 million domestic, $148 million worldwide after the second weekend.

$51 million domestic, $148 million worldwide after the second weekend.

148 mill in a couple of weekends sounds solid to me.

I saw it this weekend man. Had an active weekend at the movies seeing that, Three Billboads Outside of Ebbing, Missouri and Lady Bird all within a weekend (not to mention justice league on Thursday).

Really solid. Branagh was awesome: both in front of and behind the camera in my opinion. Also really dug Depp’s brief but key performance. Though I felt there were a few lags here and there (and it’s a bit tough when you know the outcome due to having seen the classic 74 film), I think it’s well worth seeing for the great cast and the craft behind it.

There was a sense of fun and humor too to interrupt some of the more stark and serious moments. It’s definitely an intense story, but there is a good amount of levity.

Daisy Ridley looked beautiful. Had to be said. Hope to see her in more non-Star Wars related films like this in upcoming years. I’ve seen Pfeiffer in two films this fall and she delivered in both. Good to see her back.

I was impressed with Gad. Showing himself very capable of dramatic roles as well.

Update: November 20, 2017

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS Sequel in the Works with Scribe Michael Green

baaQmjX.jpg

After first taking the train, Twentieth Century Fox is now readying to hop on a riverboat cruise. On the heels of Murder on the Orient Express, Fox is staying in the Agatha Christie business by putting into development Death on the Nile, its next Hercule Poirot mystery.

Michael Green, who adapted the screenplay for Orient Express, is penning the script, and while there is no deal currently in place, five-time Oscar nominee Kenneth Branagh is expected to return as director and reprise his role as Poirot.

Death on the Nile, first published in 1937, saw the detective on a vacation in Egypt and becoming involved in a love triangle gone murderously bad. The novel once again featured socialites, social climbers and high society’s help in the cast.

Just as Orient Express was previously adapted into an all-star 1970s movie featuring Albert Finney as Poirot, so, too, was Death on the Nile. The 1978 pic featured Bette Davis, Mia Farrow, Maggie Smith, Angela Lansbury and David Niven, among others. The story remains one of Christie’s most popular works.

Orient Express, which was made for $55 million, has chugged its way to almost $150 million worldwide since its Nov. 10 opening. The movie was produced by Branagh as well as Ridley Scott, Mark Gordon, Simon Kinberg, Judy Hofflund and Michael Schaefer.

Steve Asbell is overseeing the new project for Fox. Green, who co-created the American Gods television show, also worked on Logan and Alien: Covenant for Fox. He also wrote Blade Runner: 2049.

'Murder on the Orient Express' Sequel in the Works from 20th Century Fox (Exclusive)

148 mill in a couple of weekends sounds solid to me.

I saw it this weekend man. Had an active weekend at the movies seeing that, Three Billboads Outside of Ebbing, Missouri and Lady Bird all within a weekend (not to mention justice league on Thursday).

Really solid. Branagh was awesome: both in front of and behind the camera in my opinion. Also really dug Depp’s brief but key performance. Though I felt there were a few lags here and there (and it’s a bit tough when you know the outcome due to having seen the classic 74 film), I think it’s well worth seeing for the great cast and the craft behind it.

There was a sense of fun and humor too to interrupt some of the more stark and serious moments. It’s definitely an intense story, but there is a good amount of levity.

Daisy Ridley looked beautiful. Had to be said. Hope to see her in more non-Star Wars related films like this in upcoming years. I’ve seen Pfeiffer in two films this fall and she delivered in both. Good to see her back.

I was impressed with Gad. Showing himself very capable of dramatic roles as well.

Yeah, for a film with a relatively modest budget of $55 million I think it's doing well. FOX also seems to be happy:

“This opening gives me great optimism for the future of the motion picture industry,” said 20th Century Fox domestic distribution chief Chris Aronson, beaming this morning. “The film’s performance shows that people with the right vehicle will come out to see a theatrical motion picture: It’s a Hollywood movie — big stars, sumptuous moviemaking, an actor’s piece; that’s what is heartening about the whole thing.”

I agree with everything else you said as well. As you say, it's a bit tough when you know the ending, but I still enjoy seeing new takes on the story.

I don't think it's a perfect film. I wish a little more time was spent rounding out the other characters, even if that meant a little less time with Poirot. And I wish that Branagh avoided so much noticeable CGI and green screen. But all in all, I do think that it's a solid film and a good piece of craftsmanship and I'm happy to see audiences getting out and supporting it.

Apparently almost 50% of moviegoers for this one are over 50, but hopefully it's introducing at least some members of a new generation to Agatha Christie.

Update: November 20, 2017

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS Sequel in the Works from Fox

After first taking the train, Twentieth Century Fox is now readying to hop on a riverboat cruise. On the heels of Murder on the Orient Express, Fox is staying in the Agatha Christie business by putting into development Death on the Nile, its next Hercule Poirot mystery.

Michael Green, who adapted the screenplay for Orient Express, is penning the script, and while there is no deal currently in place, five-time Oscar nominee Kenneth Branagh is expected to return as director and reprise his role as Poirot.

Death on the Nile, first published in 1937, saw the detective on a vacation in Egypt and becoming involved in a love triangle gone murderously bad. The novel once again featured socialites, social climbers and high society’s help in the cast.

Just as Orient Express was previously adapted into an all-star 1970s movie featuring Albert Finney as Poirot, so, too, was Death on the Nile. The 1978 pic featured Bette Davis, Mia Farrow, Maggie Smith, Angela Lansbury and David Niven, among others. The story remains one of Christie’s most popular works.

Orient Express, which was made for $55 million, has chugged its way to almost $150 million worldwide since its Nov. 10 opening. The movie was produced by Branagh as well as Ridley Scott, Mark Gordon, Simon Kinberg, Judy Hofflund and Michael Schaefer.

Steve Asbell is overseeing the new project for Fox. Green, who co-created the American Gods television show, also worked on Logan and Alien: Covenant for Fox. He also wrote Blade Runner: 2049.

'Murder on the Orient Express' Sequel in the Works from 20th Century Fox (Exclusive)

BOOM!

ba-awesome-colorful-fireworks-animated-gif-image-s.gif

Now THAT is excellent fucking news! Heads up @EvilDDS and @ufcfan4!

Like MOTOE, I've seen both the 1978 adaptation of MOTOE as well as the ITV version from the 2000s, but I only saw them once and have actually forgotten the ending. I won't say this will almost be like watching it for the first time, but the story really is quite foggy in my brain so there will definitely be some surprises this time around.

Really glad to hear that FOX decided to go ahead and pull the trigger here and I hope that it will be every bit the financial success that MOTOE was, and hopefully it will get a better critical reception.

I hope Mr. Green takes some of the MOTOE nitpicks to heart so that Death on the Nile ends up being an even better film than MOTOE is.

Last edited by a moderator:
BOOM!

Like MOTOE, I've seen both the 1978 adaptation of MOTOE as well as the ITV version from the 2000s, but I only saw them once and have actually forgotten the ending. I won't say this will almost be like watching it for the first time, but the story really is quite foggy in my brain so there will definitely be some surprises this time around.

Really glad to hear that FOX decided to go ahead and pull the trigger here and I hope that it will be every bit the financial success that MOTOE was, and hopefully it will get a better critical reception.

I hope Mr. Green takes some of the MOTOE nitpicks to heart so that Death on the Nile ends up being an even better film than MOTOE is.

Awesome! They certainly left the door open when they teased it at the end. Hopefully it’s even better as you said.

The 1978 adaptation of that book had the man Peter Ustinov as Poirot. Great actor! Will have to check that out at some pt.

BOOM!

Wow, this is great news. Nice to see the movie being received well!

I expect @One MMA Fan to be in here soon after he watches it. Not only is he a Ridley fan but he’s a fan of the story, I think he’s read the book and seen the original versions so he’ll be in here soon with his thoughts on the movie

Wow, this is great news. Nice to see the movie being received well!

I expect @One MMA Fan to be in here soon after he watches it. Not only is he a Ridley fan but he’s a fan of the story, I think he’s read the book and seen the original versions so he’ll be in here soon with his thoughts on the movie

Yea, I just need it to show up at my cinema already.. geez was up with this Agatha Christie haters that are making me wait so long, I get comic book movies earlier but nope got to wait for Murder on the Orient Express. :D

Still dislike that Hungarian mustache.. this is my GOAT:

817f2409971011d081d35c0fe11e19e1.jpg

hercule-poirot.jpg

I don't want to see it but I always thought that it looked predictably unpredictable. And those movies are really boring.

movie was fucking boring, but neither bad nor good. it’s just a movie that kinda exists. one of the most 5/10 5/10s i’ve seen in awhile.

Back