Murica Wins International Mathematical Olympiad, Beating China and Russia

I think the guy who created the Fahrenheit scale was Dutch, again if I remember right the temperatures at 0 and 100 were those that man could fairly accurately reproduce at the time.

The guy who invented it? You mean Fahrenheit?

0 and 100, was just re-calibrating water to a "metric" type temperature scale.

Are you sure 0 in Fahrenheit was not because it could be reproduced accurately? Doing some checking.

Are you sure 0 in Fahrenheit was not because it could be reproduced accurately? Doing some checking.

I thought you were talking about the Celsius scale. 0 was the freezing point of some water solution on the Fahrenheit scale.

From this the fact they could have a stable temperature it would be easier to place the first anchor temperature.

...the zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in brine: he used a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride, a salt, at a 1:1:1 ratio. This is a frigorific mixture which stabilizes its temperature automatically: that stable temperature was defined as 0 °F (−17.78 °C).

...the zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in brine: he used a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride, a salt, at a 1:1:1 ratio. This is a frigorific mixture which stabilizes its temperature automatically: that stable temperature was defined as 0 °F (−17.78 °C).

Right... that's what I said.

Right... that's what I said.

I was responding to EvilDDS post who
I think felt like the numbers were just pulled out of the air. Celsius maybe a better standard but Fahrenheit was rational when it was created.

Again this was in response to EvilDDS post.

I'm saying that America falls low on academic and IQ metrics because the nation as a whole underperforms there. See how we are below the top 20 for most quality of life scores like health, happiness, upward mobility, etc. But if you separated New England and had it compare to Scandinavian and East Asian nations, it would come out ahead. The rest of America drags the northeastern states down.

If you divided it then NorCal would do as well as New England. But the state as a whole has average IQ and performance.
That's interesting. Though I don't know if you can fairly say the minority is "dragged down" by the majority. Maybe New England is the outlier.

So the US' ethnic Chinese are better at math than China's Chinese?

If New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island) were its own country, it would dominate any other nation in academic performance.

I'm saying that America falls low on academic and IQ metrics because the nation as a whole underperforms there. See how we are below the top 20 for most quality of life scores like health, happiness, upward mobility, etc. But if you separated New England and had it compare to Scandinavian and East Asian nations, it would come out ahead. The rest of America drags the northeastern states down.

If you divided it then NorCal would do as well as New England. But the state as a whole has average IQ and performance.

Just a second ago you said that New England would dominate the world academic stage. Then someone pointed out to you in a concise way that this is a free country (IE if the Northeast is really so intelligent, why weren’t there any representatives from that area in this competition )? Now you’re saying that your bonerific dream of some Eastern European hive mind state somehow has a correlation to your original non sensical statement? Maybe it’s just my lowly Southern education that leaves me confused. Please teach us your ways.

Just a second ago you said that New England would dominate the world academic stage. Then someone pointed out to you in a concise way that this is a free country (IE if the Northeast is really so intelligent, why weren’t there any representatives from that area in this competition )? Now you’re saying that your bonerific dream of some Eastern European hive mind state somehow has a correlation to your original non sensical statement? Maybe it’s just my lowly Southern education that leaves me confused. Please teach us your ways.
These kids are all outliers and would have excelled anywhere. There were no Norwegian teams at the finals but that doesn't mean they way better academics than America.

These kids are all outliers and would have excelled anywhere. There were no Norwegian teams at the finals but that doesn't mean they way better academics than America.

Oh.... thanks. That really cleared things up for me.
<31>

Back