My 37 year old brother has no money.

I’ve only known a handful of downward slide type addicts but from my experience the whole after school special “selfish/only care about their next fix” warnings are pretty true to life.

Damn, people here raggin on their own families. That’s pretty fucked up.

My dad was an asshole and he’s dead, but I’d kill 20 people to be able to hang with him for one more day.

That's Fuked up man. You would kill 20 people ? Your dad was the asshole.

<{nope}> Bastard.

some of those "no money" types always seem able to scrape together cash for cigarettes, drugs, and tattoos

I heard an entire post about you complaining and criticizing the way he is ....but ZERO words about how you at least TRIED to understand what problems he might be going through.

Yes I know he is lazy, fucked up, irresponsible and everything is his fault..Im not denying any of that....but you said your parents taught you better...well SOMETHING must have happened for him to be that way,, something that didnt happen to you, that you would have dealt with better and for which you wouldnt have gotten like that...still...SOMETHING...and as his brother, his blood (supposedly) I think its expected MORE from you than just judging him with zero emotional attachment or even "trying" of understanding..NOPE we get zero from you....great brother you are motherfucker!!

I heard an entire post about you complaining and criticizing the way he is ....but ZERO words about how you at least TRIED to understand what problems he might be going through.

Yes I know he is lazy, fucked up, irresponsible and everything is his fault..Im not denying any of that....but you said your parents taught you better...well SOMETHING must have happened for him to be that way,, something that didnt happen to you, that you would have dealt with better and for which you wouldnt have gotten like that...still...SOMETHING...and as his brother, his blood (supposedly) I think its expected MORE from you than just judging him with zero emotional attachment or even "trying" of understanding..NOPE we get zero from you....great brother you are motherfucker!!
some people are just screw ups...no need to open up a science investigation to understand that

Drove to LA for a funeral and he needed a ride. First thing he says when I picked him up was “I don’t have any money.”
I was going to fly but he couldn’t since he said “I don’t have the money for that.” when I asked him about two weeks ago.
He has a 8 year old in Vegas that he never sees.
It’s crazy to me at how normal this is for him.
I understand that people have rough patches and all. But at least TRY to find a better job in order to support yourself and your kid.

It’s crazy because my dad taught us better. But he passed away almost 18 years ago. Just trips me out how someone doesn’t want better not only for himself but also for his kid.

He didn’t even say “Thanks” for the ride or food I bought.

Wtf?
He most likely has a drug problem. Seriously.

TS should have stated his own age for comparison.

Sucks tho, hate being around poor people.

Sucks tho, hate being around poor people.

Its depressing for sure and it is even worst if you are somewhat poor too or just one bad contract away from poverty.

I used to judge people who are broke as lazy until I learned about poverty trap. Now, I'm more empathetic to broke people who make an effort to try to get out. Some people make an effort to get money but are always broke. It may take one event in your life or bad decision in there life that gets them stuck in poverty forever.

Poverty trap is a mechanism which makes it very difficult for people to escape poverty. A poverty trap is created when an economic system requires a significant amount of various forms of capital in order to earn enough to escape poverty.

This is why a lot of my friends including me are holding about having kids.

I have a buddy who only had a kid when he is damn 40 but the peace of mind and money he will be able impart to his kids is worth it.

We are from a poor overpopulated country and its easy to end up homeless if you mame bad descisions.

My buddy was from a poor family rents a shack in the slums but manage to get a degree and be sucessfull enough to earn a lot since then and now his social status is way better lives at a decent mid scale appartment in a good neighborhood has 2 cars. And has enough money in the bank to support his kid for a long time even if loses his job.

His kids will never experience the shitty childhood he had.

One of my friends became homeless few years ago. He was living out of his van. I was giving him gas money so he can get around.

you expect more from a brother...great brother you must be as well!!
babying grown men is not the way to help them.....some of these guys needed tough love a long time ago.....im not saying im some perfect being and i sure do have my flaws but the vast majority of the time leopards dont change their stripes. Its hard to change a 37 year old as he is a full grown man...he isnt changing.....and dont worry about me or my brother as your input has no say in that relationship.

Some people just don’t care about money. Or would just rather bitch and moan instead of putting in the effort.

Drove to LA for a funeral and he needed a ride. First thing he says when I picked him up was “I don’t have any money.”
I was going to fly but he couldn’t since he said “I don’t have the money for that.” when I asked him about two weeks ago.
He has a 8 year old in Vegas that he never sees.
It’s crazy to me at how normal this is for him.
I understand that people have rough patches and all. But at least TRY to find a better job in order to support yourself and your kid.

It’s crazy because my dad taught us better. But he passed away almost 18 years ago. Just trips me out how someone doesn’t want better not only for himself but also for his kid.

He didn’t even say “Thanks” for the ride or food I bought.

Wtf?
he's on meth

Where does he live? Here in Silicon Valley, a lot of people under 40 are just scraping by and that’s even when they do have decent paying jobs.

My wife and I both make above $70,000 K, we’re not taking it in, but we it’s decent pay. Anyway, if her East Coast family asked us to fly out in two weeks, that wouldn’t be super easy for us either.

Same boat as you. Our combined income of 160k a year is not bad. But Orange County is expensive to live in. We save a bit every month. But I feel we one hospital trip away from the poor house.

This is why a lot of my friends including me are holding about having kids.

I have a buddy who only had a kid when he is damn 40 but the peace of mind and money he will be able impart to his kids is worth it.

We are from a poor overpopulated country and its easy to end up homeless if you mame bad descisions.

My buddy was from a poor family rents a shack in the slums but manage to get a degree and be sucessfull enough to earn a lot since then and now his social status is way better lives at a decent mid scale appartment in a good neighborhood has 2 cars. And has enough money in the bank to support his kid for a long time even if loses his job.

His kids will never experience the shitty childhood he had.
It's good to hear that your friend made it out. Very uplifting.

I don't subscribe to the whole "but they're family" bullshit. My brother is an asshole so I cut him out of my life. My gf has a sister who is a constant source of stress in her life and she always says "but she's my sister". Fuck that who cares.
Kind of agree. I mean if they’ve got major flaws but have some sense of honor, love and connection to you, they keep getting passes and that’s fine. But when they’re that sponge / toxic presence in your life that brings nothing good....then that’s when you say “I love myself more than I love being a sucka ...so bye....for good”

My brother tries but just can’t do better than mid level shitty jobs...50-60k a year. He keeps trying to do better and ends up in the same spot. I always treat, and often stick money in his wallet when he isn’t looking. That’s my little bro, and I will always step up for him.
It’s not a fortune....but does a guy on 60K really need a hand out? Joke post?

The 2012-2016 American Community Survey 5-year Estimates had the median household income for New York City as $55,191. Is it a single income household? Even if so, that's median. Hardly "shitty."

If you want to own your home and drive a big car, you don't live in an Northeastern U.S. metropolitan center unless you're rich.

It's not an apples to apples comparison.

London generally has stupidly high housing prices, because it's filled with empty apartments owned by rich people from other parts of the world. It also has really expensive restaurants. A lot of other things are cheap, especially groceries, although that may change dramatically with Brexit. Like roommates? London seemed really cheap coming from Washington. Hate them? London will probably seem expensive (unless you're from New York, then it'll still seem cheap).

Nah that income is based on a two headed family. (Two parents) It also depends on the state and city you live in as well. That income you posted is the average family income in total for a household.

However a lot of ppl on here exaggerate and that's why the joke is "we bang 10s and have 6 figures and bench 275."

My state is 13th highest paying state with the west side averaging 65k plus and my side around 37k.

My family is considered middle-middle class.

However we screwed up with loans and so it feels like a struggle. In about 3 yrs the loans will be gone and we will have $800-1,000 more a month and feel well off.

Debt can kill u.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/05/11/are-you-in-the-american-middle-class/

It’s not a fortune....but does a guy on 60K really need a hand out? Joke post?

Around here if you lived alone in a studio apt, no. But he has a wife and kid, 2cars and rent. After taxes, medical, take home on 6ok is what...3200? That puts him at barely even every month. What happens when something comes up? Truly he needs to move because it’s too expensive here. In NC he would be fine on 60k.

Around here if you lived alone in a studio apt, no. But he has a wife and kid, 2cars and rent. After taxes, medical, take home on 6ok is what...3200? That puts him at barely even every month. What happens when something comes up? Truly he needs to move because it’s too expensive here. In NC he would be fine on 60k.
Ok respect. But you probably know that you can’t help others solve terminal money problems with money. Probably better off having a secret college fund for your nieces / nephews and building that for 10 years.

Back