My 70 year old dad fell in the bank today

S

smithnwssn

He hurt is arm and is now in a sling. It's very swollen and he's in much pain. He went to ER and they said it was sprained. He slipped in a small wet spot that they forgot to wipe up. He just retired 3 months ago due to health reasons and now this shit :(

So, reason I'm making this thread is he is so stubborn and has so much pride. He was awarded the Bronze star in Viet Nam in 68 and could have gotten purple hearts just like John Kerry did with his band aides but my dad is just a different kind of guy. It took him until last month to actually get on the VA benefit deal but only because one of his meds was going to cost $500 a month and my family and I had to kick him in the ass and tell him that he's entitled to that and quit acting so stupid. My dad is just that guy that would never claim to have PTSD and just simply say 'there are other soldiers that deserve it more than I do and I don't want to take away from them and I'd be embarrassed to claim that because it makes me look weak'. He was there in 68 as the point man/squad leader for almost a whole year right beside Cambodian border. 68 was the year that more soldiers died and got wounded than any other year.

So, I'm asking help from you guy in ways that I can talk my stubborn, full of pride and balls dad see the reality of the situation and hire the best lawyer and get what he deserves. He fell today, he needs to hire the best lawyer tomorrow. For all we know his hip or back could be fucked by tomorrow or the next few days but there's no doubt his arm is fucked. Obviously the medical bills will be paid for but he deserves everything he deserves if that makes any sense. What ways can I tell him to man up and just tell the truth about how you really feel physically and mentally? Because I'm scared shitless he's not going to do what he needs to do. This is serious shit and I fucking hate it. :(

I'm sorry about your dad's fall. That's scary stuff for older people.

Did the bank have a "wet floor" sign down?

He probably thinks it’s a frivolous lawsuit. But in reality, the hospital and doctor’s bills will cost him so much more than it cost the bank in terms of percentage of his income compared to theirs.

Just ask him “if you had a ton of money, then fucked up resulting in someone’s injury, wouldn’t you pay for their treatment?” He probably would because he sounds like that type of guy. So why should the bank act any differently?

Just hire lawyer, and trick your old man into signing all the papers.

Here they come to snuff the rooster..... AW YEE-AAAAHHHHHHH!!!

He hurt is arm and is now in a sling. It's very swollen and he's in much pain. He went to ER and they said it was sprained. He slipped in a small wet spot that they forgot to wipe up. He just retired 3 months ago due to health reasons and now this shit :(

So, reason I'm making this thread is he is so stubborn and has so much pride. He was awarded the Bronze star in Viet Nam in 68 and could have gotten purple hearts just like John Kerry did with his band aides but my dad is just a different kind of guy. It took him until last month to actually get on the VA benefit deal but only because one of his meds was going to cost $500 a month and my family and I had to kick him in the ass and tell him that he's entitled to that and quit acting so stupid. My dad is just that guy that would never claim to have PTSD and just simply say 'there are other soldiers that deserve it more than I do and I don't want to take away from them and I'd be embarrassed to claim that because it makes me look weak'. He was there in 68 as the point man/squad leader for almost a whole year right beside Cambodian border. 68 was the year that more soldiers died and got wounded than any other year.

So, I'm asking help from you guy in ways that I can talk my stubborn, full of pride and balls dad see the reality of the situation and hire the best lawyer and get what he deserves. He fell today, he needs to hire the best lawyer tomorrow. For all we know his hip or back could be fucked by tomorrow or the next few days but there's no doubt his arm is fucked. Obviously the medical bills will be paid for but he deserves everything he deserves if that makes any sense. What ways can I tell him to man up and just tell the truth about how you really feel physically and mentally? Because I'm scared shitless he's not going to do what he needs to do. This is serious shit and I fucking hate it. :(
You, him, and your entire family have been paying taxes into programs that benefit your father your whole working lives. You are just getting the money back.

Last edited:
Just don't let him get hooked on painkillers and whiskey that will be the end of him .

It's damn hard to make one of these old school salt of the earth tough guys think about getting a lawyer to pursue their rightful due when they run into this kind of bad luck or negligence. Maybe if you focus on something that could be achieved with the judgment or settlement money that would appeal to him enough to outweigh his thinking that it would be some admission of weakness to pursue it. Grandkids' college funds, stuff like that?

I'm sorry about your dad's fall. That's scary stuff for older people.

Did the bank have a "wet floor" sign down?
Nope. And the workers and customers verified that no sign was up and that he slipped on a wet spot that wasn't cleaned up as he was walking in the door. And obviously the cameras will show it.

Just don't let him get hooked on painkillers and whiskey that will be the end of him .
Na he's good lol. He's never been into that but even if he got hooked at his age, it's not enough time I don't believe to mess with his life in a negative way if he were to get hooked, it would would probably just benefit him, no pain and having some fun times to end his life lol.

Besides covering medical costs related to the fall, what do you think he deserves?

It's damn hard to make one of these old school salt of the earth tough guys think about getting a lawyer to pursue their rightful due when they run into this kind of bad luck or negligence. Maybe if you focus on something that could be achieved with the judgment or settlement money that would appeal to him enough to outweigh his thinking that it would be some admission of weakness to pursue it. Grandkids' college funds, stuff like that?
Fraser B here, long time no talk. You're right and I see what you're saying, but as I've said in the past before my brother and I never had kids so we would have to think of something else. My ex who is a lawyer, her lawyer who is my lawyer, my brother, and I and maybe my uncle(my dad's brother) may need to do an intervention

Maybe your dad has class and doesn't think he should sue for every bad thing that happens.

People make mistakes. Maybe he's accepted that and doesn't think money will make him feel any better.

Fraser B here, long time no talk. You're right and I see what you're saying, but as I've said in the past before my brother and I never had kids so we would have to think of something else. My ex who is a lawyer, her lawyer who is my lawyer, my brother, and I and maybe my uncle(my dad's brother) may need to do an intervention

Haha, Fraser you're Sherdog's master of disguise.

I'd think a lawyer who would take the case on contingency with no fees up front / without judgment could at least remove one stumbling block in selling the idea to your Dad. Yeah, if you can put together that team to give him the talk, with some lawyers on board to sell the idea, you might have a chance. Maybe dig up examples, if you can, of other guys he'd consider tough (e.g. medal recipients in WW2) who have pursued personal injury cases and it could counter his instincts that lawsuits are for pussies.

Besides covering medical costs related to the fall, what do you think he deserves?
Pain and suffering, lost of enjoyment of life, etc... there's no question we're all going to suffer from this. I'm known as the biggest troll on sherdog but I made this thread in mayberry for a reason. Just think of all the doctor visits(not the cost but the time he has to spend), and the energy and thought we all have to put into this, the bills that will be coming in non stop, the endless phone calls, the worry of everything, the actual physical pain on a daily basis, me annoying people like you on sherdog by complaining about my problems, the embarrassment of falling in front of everyone possibly peeing or pooping himself, etc... and mainly just the fact that the pain in his arm or other places that he injured could be for the rest of his life. I'm sure I missed a lot. Nothing against you, I've seen you post before but you're question is silly, Billy.

ps and me mentioning all the bills coming in, I'm not talking about the cost, I'm talking about non stop mail coming through that he has to fax off every single day for the next few months or years to his lawyer which is a pain in the ass because he has no idea what's important or not. So the lawyers actually deserve the 1/3 which is standard because they have to do more than you think which is going through thousands of papers a day and deciding what they need a copy of and what to throw away.

Again I can go all day and I left a lot out but there's 20 times more than just medical expenses.

Haha, Fraser you're Sherdog's master of disguise.

I'd think a lawyer who would take the case on contingency with no fees up front / without judgment could at least remove one stumbling block in selling the idea to your Dad. Yeah, if you can put together that team to give him the talk, with some lawyers on board to sell the idea, you might have a chance. Maybe dig up examples, if you can, of other guys he'd consider tough (e.g. medal recipients in WW2) who have pursued personal injury cases and it could counter his instincts that lawsuits are for pussies.
Trust me man I've been doing my best all day since I walked in and saw him with sling on. I was so pissed. But yeah we're all going to have to go all out on his ass on this one I believe. My brother is supposed to fly in from Cali in the next couple days for this and he only visits once every 3 years.

tell him its a Vietnamese bank
LMAO!!!

I'll have to tell him it's a South Vietnamese bank, that's who he fought with and who he thinks are scum. He respects the North because that's who he fought against and at least they had balls and honor.

Pain and suffering, lost of enjoyment of life, etc... there's no question we're all going to suffer from this. I'm known as the biggest troll on sherdog but I made this thread in mayberry for a reason. Just think of all the doctor visits(not the cost but the time he has to spend), and the energy and thought we all have to put into this, the bills that will be coming in non stop, the endless phone calls, the worry of everything, the actual physical pain on a daily basis, me annoying people like you on sherdog by complaining about my problems, the embarrassment of falling in front of everyone possibly peeing or pooping himself, etc... and mainly just the fact that the pain in his arm or other places that he injured could be for the rest of his life. I'm sure I missed a lot. Nothing against you, I've seen you post before but you're question is silly, Billy.

ps and me mentioning all the bills coming in, I'm not talking about the cost, I'm talking about non stop mail coming through that he has to fax off every single day for the next few months or years to his lawyer which is a pain in the ass because he has no idea what's important or not. So the lawyers actually deserve the 1/3 which is standard because they have to do more than you think which is going through thousands of papers a day and deciding what they need a copy of and what to throw away.

Again I can go all day and I left a lot out but there's 20 times more than just medical expenses.

All of that is bullshit.

Lets assume he has a sprain and will be 100% healed up in a few months. What are you expecting, $100,000?

I've literally never heard of you.

Back