My attempts to stimulate glute and hamstring growth

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was advised to make a training log so:

This is my first time hitting Sumo DL's - after some experimentation - at decent weight.

And low bar squats with poor depth, but the best I got cause of my hip flexion.

I'm on a mission to get killer glutes and hamstrings.
The change from high bar to low bar squats was profound.

I also do romanian deadlifts - and was thinking of adding in good mornings but, as you can see, my squats aren't too distant from good mornings so, wondering if there's any point.

Heels only leg press I also do - don't know the weight cause it's on the machine.

I think that's it.
I tried some other women orientated exercises like hip and glute bridges, but hated them.

I was informed that sumo DL's hit the glutes better than hex bar DL's.

Can anyone confirm that for me?

I can't do conventional DL's cause of my poor hip flexion.

Hex / Trap bar DL's will make you more upright on the deadlift so should use more quad than conventional or sumo deadlift.

Sumo will definitely put more stress on your glutes, but so does RDL, SLDL and conventional deadlift. Sumo can protect the lower back, and really hammer your adductors though, so it's all just different tools in a tool box.

Squatting type for hitting the glutes?

I'm doing low bar, cause they suit my frame but, I understand they're better than high bar for glutes.

But - box squats - are they better/worse than low bar for glute activation?

Makes no real difference, low bar with a medium to wide stance would be just as effective as box squats IMO for hypertrophy. You can fuck box squats up by relaxing on the box and reducing total time under tension which is counter productive to growth.

Nice! Digging the log. Now you can document that progress. You have to quit saying you can't do stuff and just start working on doing it.

By the way, why the obsession with glutes? You trying to be a jeans model? Trying to date a Brazilian girl? What's the story?

Also, have you tried good mornings?

Nice! Digging the log. Now you can document that progress. You have to quit saying you can't do stuff and just start working on doing it.

By the way, why the obsession with glutes? You trying to be a jeans model? Trying to date a Brazilian girl? What's the story?

Also, have you tried good mornings?

I've tried good mornings but, I figured I'm getting so much hip hinge on the low bar squats that, maybe it wouldn't be worth my while.
I didn't spend too much time on them though so, like I didn't spend to much time on sumo's initially - and now they're my favorite exercise.
Might give them another shot today.

The glutes??

See - I have this theory.

I believe, indifference is one of the hottest things in sexual attraction.

If a chick has a much better ass than me, then I can't be indifferent to her - I can't ignore an ass that good.
Except - if my ass, is waaay better than hers.
Kind of like, if my neighbour has a high end Mercedes, and I have a Ford - I'm always gonna be stealing glances at that sweet car.
Except - if I get a motherfucking Lambo with big ass rims and a snarling engine vent - then all of a sudden, I'm not as compelled to steal glances over at my neighbours nice car - but certainly nothing on my motherfucking V8 loaded beast.

That's pretty much what's up with that.

And thus far, about 3 weeks into my theory, it does seem to be working.
It must be the aura or something but, chicks are smiling at me more, randomers giving it "heeeyy" in the street more - almost undoubtedly cause my increased sense of indifference toward them turns them on (I think kind of like when you have a girlfriend, then other chicks seem to be more turned on by you - again, the increased indifference going to work).
This wasn't happening 3 weeks previous before I started smashing the glutes.

Last edited:
I figure it'll take about another couple of weeks for sufficient growth and development, then I'll hit the disco - and solidify my theory when I can pick up strange like it's nothing.

Well, actually - I've done this before.
About this time last year, I broke my hand boxing, so I was doing nothing but squats and leg press for six weeks straight, cause I actually couldn't do anything else with my hand in a cast.

I was oblivious at the time but, I had a run where I was hitting bars and shit and it was ridiculously easy to hook up.
I didn't know what the fuck at the time, but as I got back into my regular routine after my hand healed, and began to neglect leg/glute exercises - I noticed that explosive chemistry beginning to dissipate - but I didn't understand the reason at the time.

But now I know, and intend to exploit that knowledge to the fullest extent.

what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png

lol - that's what's up.

Toes pointed out wider feels more comfortable, and allows a little more depth - though when I try to go too low, I collapse forward a little:

Another angle. It seems slightly lower than the initial video in this thread.

And my attempt at good mornings.
I was fucked at this point though.

What is the typical weight for good mornings?
I tried 100kg, and it was do-able though, I was toast at this point like I said so, I couldn't knock out that many.

If I'm sumo DL'ing 170kgs, squating 130/140 kgs, romaninan DL'ing 140kgs - what should my good mornings be coming in at??

Dude, take a big breath when you squat. You're definitely not tightening up. Also, you should just do box squats. Set up a box below parallel and squat to it. I'm sure you can take a shit on a toilet so your mobility issues are not really an issue. get used to squatting low to a box. Then eventually remove the box.

Agree with the box squats. Do them with no weight at first if need be. You seem tall, you could probably use a folding chair.

Good mornings, just start with 60kg or so, do them for higher rep sets (up to 20) until you're used to the movement. Stick your butt out as far as you can behind you as you do them.

Do band squats. Like this:

I hold the band but you also can wrap it around you like in the vid.

Last edited:
I've tried good mornings but, I figured I'm getting so much hip hinge on the low bar squats that, maybe it wouldn't be worth my while.
I didn't spend too much time on them though so, like I didn't spend to much time on sumo's initially - and now they're my favorite exercise.
Might give them another shot today.

The glutes??

See - I have this theory.

I believe, indifference is one of the hottest things in sexual attraction.

If a chick has a much better ass than me, then I can't be indifferent to her - I can't ignore an ass that good.
Except - if my ass, is waaay better than hers.
Kind of like, if my neighbour has a high end Mercedes, and I have a Ford - I'm always gonna be stealing glances at that sweet car.
Except - if I get a motherfucking Lambo with big ass rims and a snarling engine vent - then all of a sudden, I'm not as compelled to steal glances over at my neighbours nice car - but certainly nothing on my motherfucking V8 loaded beast.

That's pretty much what's up with that.

And thus far, about 3 weeks into my theory, it does seem to be working.
It must be the aura or something but, chicks are smiling at me more, randomers giving it "heeeyy" in the street more - almost undoubtedly cause my increased sense of indifference toward them turns them on (I think kind of like when you have a girlfriend, then other chicks seem to be more turned on by you - again, the increased indifference going to work).
This wasn't happening 3 weeks previous before I started smashing the glutes.

That indifference you speak of is what I refer to as "amused mastery."

Women have frequently commented on the shapeliness and size of my ass, but let me you something: if the rest of the body looks out of proportion to your ass, then you're going to look like a clown.

You need to work on your quads, hamstrings, and calves as well to preserve the symmetry of your lower body region.

But you know which part of your body gets people's heads turning the most? The yoke. The yoke consists of your neck, traps, shoulder, and upper back. It's the muscle region that gets the most attention because it surrounds your face.
So, in a nutshell, don't neglect other parts of your body and train them consistently with the equal amount of devotion as you would with your ass.

Squat, deads, presses, and rows - those are the 4 movements you need in your program to achieve a symmetrical physique.

And if you have any questions, feel free to post them in my log or PM me.

^^ Good point.
Yeah I know you speak the truth, but for the next few weeks I'd imagine the focus will be on the exercises I've most recently learned - Sumo deads, low bar squats, romanian deads, heels only leg press, and possibly good mornings.

Then, when I know I have them down like flynn, and have attained sufficient growth in the necessary areas, will begin to work back in clean and jerks, and pressing exercises, arms etc.
For this "yoke" you speak of - I found clean and jerks tremendous.

Just on a separate note - does anyone lift in the morning, and trane UFC in the evenings?

I started fitting both in one day over the last few weeks.
Pretty sure the morning lifting does leave me a little more zapped in the evenings.

The other thing you've mentioned, that I never do - is barbell rows.

Checked out a couple youtube vids, and, they've convinced me.
I'd imagine it will be something I will experiment with moving forward, at least, see how my body responds to it.

Jeez - I've been reading some of you guys logs.

Crazy to see the hip flexion you have.
Overhead squats, front squats etc.

To give an example of how poor mine is, I can't front squat at all.
As in, even with an unloaded bar.
I just keel over, bend forward to much.

I work on my hip flexibility like crazy, cause without, I can't kick - kickboxing etc - like, at all.
Some folk stretch a little and are good to go.
Some need a little more.

I need to be burning up, then stretch for about 40 minutes, before a class where kicking is required - and as soon as I cool down - I tighten right up again.

Be thankful for your hip flexion!

I saw a youtube vid with some doctor of orthopedics.

He was explained that, particularly in western europe, the hip joints are normally built such that it does impede mobility.

Where's across the continent in east europe, they have much more mobility due to their hip construction - thus you see a lot more olympic lifters coming out of the likes of bulgaria etc.

Front squats are easier with some weight on the bar, the counter balance will help you.

I went to the gym yesterday to roast my hams and glutes some more.

I warmed up with a few light sumo DL's, and basically after that, those muscle groups started screaming for mercy.
I couldn't squat, good morning, leg press - nothing.

So I compromised my current routine, and hit some chest - bench.
265 lbs for 4x6 - which, even as I type, makes me feel weak in contrast to these other logs.
The overhead press sitting down, for 175 lbs at 3x6
Then some dumbell bicep curls at 80 lbs 3x6 each arm.

Then finished up with a couple body weight circuits:
15 dips
10 handstand press ups
5 muscle ups on rings.
human flag right side only, about 5 second hold.

Some stretching and I'm toast.

I believe I'll chill today, being Sunday, then get back to the glutes and hams on Monday.

And BTW - this shit is unquestionably working.

I was in the supermarket today, fetching some groceries - and I nailed this little hotty in the produce section.

lol, nah I'm kidding - but for real, more chemistry there.
No doubt about it.
The cashier was giving me serious deep and meaningfuls, and kept handing me my items, instead of placing them in the bagging area (which she always focking does), seemingly so we'd keep touching hands, cause that's what kept focking happening.

TOUCHDOWN!!

lol - I get it, it's not like I'm impregnating passers by just yet, but this is emphatic results of my theory.
Couple more weeks, I predict I'll have that cashier begging for a piece of my sweet man ham.

Back