My bitterness towards modern gaming vs gaming 10 years ago, summed up in this article

Pretty funny reading a post from someone who has no idea what a MOBA is citing a even more clueless poster from the LOL forums.

Reading this thread is like watching a quadruple amputee compete in an arse kicking competition.

200.gif

Dude, chill out and stop playing the fucking COD type games.

I haven't played a competitive multiplayer game since Left4Dead 2 and so my outlook is completely different from yours.

I like killing police in GTA games.

It's therapeutic for me.

on gta4 me and my buddies would go inside the hospital and get a huge wanted level. We'd obliterate the cops and they would be just jammed between the automatic door. Got 6 star wanted level and we must have been holding tight for an hour. The feds actually gave up trying lol and then for the rest of the session we tore the city up and no cops were trying to stop us.

@SteveColdStone

Protect the bounty is fun but you need like 10 people on your side.

You get a few friends who have a 10k bounty on their heads to hide in the back room of the vespucci liquor store. So it attracts everyone to the store like flies to a fresh shit.

But you guard the store with another group, all with tanks and jets etc.

10 years? Heck, go back 20.

Warcraft 2-3 and Frozen Throne, Diablo 2:LOD, Counter Strike (the original game), Quake 2 and 3, Starcraft 1, Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Baldurs Gate 2, so on. Games were just better.

D2:LOD....Man I still play that shit on bet. Best game ever. D3 was shit.

D2:LOD....Man I still play that shit on bet. Best game ever. D3 was shit.

Have to disagree. D2 is still incredibly awesome but D3 isn't shit, they've done a tremendous job getting that game up to a standard that I find compelling. I'm a single player only guy so I don't know about if the multiplayer is any good.

But that raises a different point, I think game today are great. I think fans have changed. When I was a kid playing games, they were aimed at kids and teens, maybe some young adults. Now, we have 30+ y.o. people (myself included) driving the market. Of course games will be different, we're not buying kid shit anymore.

However, if someone kind find a game that meets their interests, they're just not looking or they're only playing games with high rating scores from fancy websites. Half the fun as a kid was not knowing much about a game and deciding if it was any good from actually playing through it. Now, no one buys anything unless it's got a 5 star, 8.5+ rating or whatever.

Have to disagree. D2 is still incredibly awesome but D3 isn't shit, they've done a tremendous job getting that game up to a standard that I find compelling. I'm a single player only guy so I don't know about if the multiplayer is any good.

But that raises a different point, I think game today are great. I think fans have changed. When I was a kid playing games, they were aimed at kids and teens, maybe some young adults. Now, we have 30+ y.o. people (myself included) driving the market. Of course games will be different, we're not buying kid shit anymore.

However, if someone kind find a game that meets their interests, they're just not looking or they're only playing games with high rating scores from fancy websites. Half the fun as a kid was not knowing much about a game and deciding if it was any good from actually playing through it. Now, no one buys anything unless it's got a 5 star, 8.5+ rating or whatever.

Well, I guess you have a point there. It wasn't complete shit it just wasn't what I was hoping it would be. I haven't played it since a few months after it came out so it may be better now. I agree about the rating stuff though I remember wondering if this game or that game will be good. Now I hop on the gaming sites and check reviews before buying anything...good post bro.

I still play video games but it isn’t the same as it used to be. Maybe it’s the nostalgia factor but I still think the SWAT games were some of the best shooters ever. CS was frustratingly awesome. Half life and HL 2 damn near made me shut myself when they came out. Hard for me to find that feeling these days.

I will say that it’s awesome how they can update games with more content now. Definitely one of the better aspects of modern gaming.

DLC is a necessary evil since gamers have this horrible attitude that no matter what a game shouldn't cost more than $60. I grew up with a NES and NES games were $60 back in the late 1980's. Adjusting for inflation and buying power that's almost exactly $120 of buying power in 2017. So what's happened is the price of AAA games has literally been cut in half, yet players want 10x more shit than they used to get back in the day. People like "Angry Joe" crying about game developers having the balls to charge $60 for a game... he sounds like an absolute moron when he talks about that shit. So if we want more games, and aren't willing to pay for it, DLC and mictro-transactions are going to be a constant thing we're just going to have to get used to. Otherwise be willing to fork out $120 or more for a AAA game, but the trend has already been pushed and DLC / micro-transactions are here to stay.

I also don't mind paying for Xbox live as with money comes the ability to make the equipment and features of the online service better. Do people really expect their console producer to provide this kind of stuff for free? They're not in the business of giving shit away and neither should they be. Gamers have things so good right now in terms of diversity of games, quantity of games, quality of games, etc and all they ever do (myself included sometimes) is bitch about everything. Imagine paying $120 for Mario Bros 2 and finding out that it's not even really a Mario Bros game... just some weird offshot that has no real connection the original game. How about $120 for TMNT which is so fucking difficult that 99% of the people who play it couldn't get beyond the water level?

So yeah... the hipster attitude of gamers as a whole has forced the hand of the developers and game studios. They can't afford to take a risk on a game without DLC / micro-transactions because at the end of the day there just isn't enough money being brought in to justify the risk.
Man I remember paying $69.99 for Burger Time on my Colecovision. Pitfall 2 for the Atariwas $60-ish too.

Gaming has a lot of shitty practices today, but I've been there since pong and it's never been better than it is today. I've logged thousands of hours in Fallout games, Star Trek online (best F2P MMO ever) Mass Effect Trilogy, Elder Scrolls/Witcher games and DND brought to life with Divinity . Sure I loved Diablo 1/2, JRPG's from the PSX era and having lan parties with Quake, Doom and AVP2 back in the day. While there's tons of shit out there now, it's never been a better time to be a gamer.

Cloud saves, modding, F2P MMO's/MOBA's, Steam sales, GOG bringign back classics that run on modern hardware, emulation etc... Take off the nostalgia goggles folks!

P.S. don't buy games that implement sinister practices and stick with the endless gems out there. We'll hopefully send a message if enough do that. At least you can look at your wallet with some dignity :D

Well, I guess you have a point there. It wasn't complete shit it just wasn't what I was hoping it would be. I haven't played it since a few months after it came out so it may be better now.

So, you never played it after the big "Reaper Of Souls" expansion?

I'd suggest you give it another go. The original version is laughably incomplete by comparison. They listened to most of the complaints, and improved basically everything.

Only complaints I see now, are from super hardcore players, who aren't completely satisfied with some of the builds, but that's about it.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/3/1/11141082/what-video-games-to-play-in-2016

...except the article lists the differences as positives, when in many ways they are negatives too.

How is DLC cash grabbing a positive?

How is single player being supplemental to multiplayer a positive?

How is mandatory pay to play online a positive?

How is the dominance of realism and the improvement of graphics making most games look generic/similar and less stylized a positive?

And this one triggers me to no end....but DOTA, League of Legends, etc....it's just Warcraft 3 man. And I enjoyed Warcraft 3 much more. I'm completely baffled by the explosion. When the hell are we getting Warcraft 4?

As he notes, it isn't even the same hobby anymore. I played games for escapism, an interactive movie with a great story, with multiplayer when I occasionally felt competitive with my buddies. If I wanted to play sports I'd go outside.

Video games were always more than an online sport. They were an artistic experience, a place to play with cool toys and collect them, OR a place to play against a buddy.

I might sound like an old fogey, but I'm 29 and 10 years ago I was 19 lmao Can I get a fuck yeah?

This is the main reason why I tend to play old classics from the 16-bit and 32-bit era. Besides those games tend to have more substance in terms of gameplay and storyline than the modern ones. And to add insult to injury, I download the ROMS and play them on my emulator. Up yours, you greedy cunts.

GTA 5 is objectively the best game they have ever made
Until other games have an option to set muggers on people and observe the mugging from inside your character's home, then GTA V will always be better than other games. If you have never set a mugger after someone while stoned as fuck then you have never experienced the greatest thing ever in gaming.

Back