My close encounter with a skunk in my chicken coop***WITH NEW UPDATE PAGE 2***

Craigslist

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last night, I was going out to the chicken coop on my farm. I was going to collect my eggs and close the chickens in for the night. As I got inside the chicken coop there was a skunk looking back at me stealing some eggs in one of the nesting boxes. It was already dark and all I had was a flashlight and my headlamp. I went back to the house to get my gun, but by the time I got back to the coop the skunk was running off. I always keep a cage trap close to my coop to catch varmints, but it already had a possum caught inside. Luckily I did not get sprayed in the process of this close encounter!

tenor.gif

Has anyone had a close encounter with a skunk? How did you get rid of it with out getting caught in the line of fire from the skunk spray?

On topic I've been sprayed by a skunk, it is not fun.

FYI Skunks are not like kitties, they do not want pets.

Had one climb in a trash can we kept dog food in years ago. A buddy and I SLOWLY carried it away from the house and gently laid the can on it's side and it walked away. Last year I caught one in a live trap. I put a tarp over the trap and very slowly reached in with some sticks and managed to open the trap and let him out. Unless you really spook them, they usually just waddle away.
That's why we try to lock our chicken coop before it gets too dark. I walked out one night and heard rustling in a half bag of corn in the coop. Grabbed a rifle and flashlight, and threw something at the bag and a big ass possum looked out like I was bothering him.

I thought you said chicken coup. That's way more interesting.

Dig a hole in the ground at a steep angle. Put a new 3 foot section of 6 inch diameter galvanized stove pipe in it with some chicken guts at the bottom. The skunk can get in but not out as the pipe will be too slippery.

Read "Close Encouter . . . "

Was hoping for a cool UFO (Alien) story.

Read the rest of title ~reaction face~

<mma3><41><{fry}><34>

I've almost been sprayed by a skunk many times. I've had one charge me with his butt in the air pointed right at me. One time I was trapped in my hunting cabin by a skunk. I was also driving a car & got sprayed by a skunk & the smell was so overwhelming I could hardly breath.

I hate skunks

Last night, I was going out to the chicken coop on my farm. I was going to collect my eggs and close the chickens in for the night. As I got inside the chicken coop there was a skunk looking back at me stealing some eggs in one of the nesting boxes. It was already dark and all I had was a flashlight and my headlamp. I went back to the house to get my gun, but by the time I got back to the coop the skunk was running off. I always keep a cage trap close to my coop to catch varmints, but it already had a possum caught inside. Luckily I did not get sprayed in the process of this close encounter!

tenor.gif

Has anyone had a close encounter with a skunk? How did you get rid of it with out getting caught in the line of fire from the skunk spray?

Where the heck do you live?

tenor.gif

I live in a suburban/ rural area where lots of skunks, raccoons, and foxes prowl at night. A skunk entered my garage at night (I forgot to close the overhead door). He was trapped using bait. People will tell you that skunks love carrots or celery with peanut butter but I placed carrots, celery with peanut butter, and a piece of pepperoni pizza. The pizza was eaten and the the carrots and celery were untouched, other than being knocked off the pizza. When a skunk is in a trap, throw a blanket over the trap; skunks do not like their own spray and will not spray if covered by a blanket or tarp.

I knew a person, Bob Noonan, twenty-five years ago who published a magazine dedicated to Pest Control, not insects but skunks, etc. I think Pest control was in the title of the magazine. He also wrote a book before publishing the magazine. He gave me a copy but I haven't seen it for year. It was hilarious reading the reverse thought process of bait attraction for skunks. All I specifically remember is that they find blood to be irresistible, though I used pepperoni pizza.

Back