My debut K1 Fight (Video Included)

Mad Dollar

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi my fellow sherdoggers!
I just had my first fight yesterday, and thought i would share it with you guys.
I am sooo surprised by how much i've learned in training, that went straight out the window as soon as the fight started... It was a great and humbling experience.. I am in the red corner, and thankfully i won the fight!
Any critique, tips, questions and advice, will be very much appreciated :)
Fight Video:

Well done man! Looked very relaxed in there, your straight left looks really good and same with the rear kick. You have options going upstair and to the gut with it.

He was a good matchup for you. Short, square stance, highguard (open for to the liver, those kicks hurt him) and no head movement. He did try his best though and caught you maybe two times solid with the left hook and the overhand at the end. Otherwise he was just getting beat up.

Besides getting tired (which is to be expected in your first fight) what would you say you can take away from this fight and work on?

Nice composure for your first fight. I’m impressed

Hi my fellow sherdoggers!
I just had my first fight yesterday, and thought i would share it with you guys.
I am sooo surprised by how much i've learned in training, that went straight out the window as soon as the fight started... It was a great and humbling experience.. I am in the red corner, and thankfully i won the fight!
Any critique, tips, questions and advice, will be very much appreciated :)
Fight Video:

good job dude. Everything will improve with more training and more fights. Chin down hands up!

I think you should work some on keeping the pressure up (or not dropping it).

It seemed like you did a little "boof boof boof" combo, then you felt bad and gave him room and he did a little "boof boof boof" combo back, or a kick, then it was your turn again to "boof boof" or kick.
Fighting isn't chess where you make a move and then you wait for the opponent to make a move and then it's your turn again, fighting can be, it starts, you make 10 moves and it's over.

You don't want to always stop after landing a short combo, if you land something and they loose balance, looks super tired, seems very hurt by it etc you want to keep on going and just try to end it then and there. It seemed like you (possible) rocked him a few times.

Also your taller and I suspect you could have used that better. I didn't count but no way he should land almost equal amounts of combos if you abuse the length to your advantage (jabbing, moving away etc). You gave him too much space to operate and didn't try to corner him and stuff. You also could work on being lighter on your feet, you were a bit flatfooted and your opponent had better footwork (quicker back and forth). Just being a little more on the toes and moving faster can possible help you tackle some stuff better. And it also adds power to your combos if you are quicker to move when needed. Timing matters almost more than force in fighting, a hard kick to the guard of an expecting opponent often isn't much compared to a slightly softer kick that lands just right when the opponent is out of balance or couldn't see it coming. Movement is so important to be able to time in a combo at that short moments your opponent opens up or makes a mistake. But props up to you winning that fight

Well done man! Looked very relaxed in there, your straight left looks really good and same with the rear kick. You have options going upstair and to the gut with it.

He was a good matchup for you. Short, square stance, highguard (open for to the liver, those kicks hurt him) and no head movement. He did try his best though and caught you maybe two times solid with the left hook and the overhand at the end. Otherwise he was just getting beat up.

Besides getting tired (which is to be expected in your first fight) what would you say you can take away from this fight and work on?
I agree that he was definitely a good matchup for me! I got the fight on 10-12 days notice, so I didn’t really have time to improve a lot of my cardio.. After the fight I was kinda disappointed because even though I won, I just felt there were so many things I didn’t get to do in the fight.. I barely tried any of the combinations I’ve been working on in the fight.. I didn’t utilize my jab at all. I only used my outside leg kick in the beginning of the fight.. I didn’t punch the body at all.. and I could go on and on about the stuff that I could have done better.. But all that will have to wait until next time I get a fight ;)! - All in all it was a awesome experience and I’m stoked that won the fight with no injury’s or anything like that :)!

And I for some fucked up reason forgot to breath during some of my combos in the first round, so that gassed me out real quick xD

I think you should work some on keeping the pressure up (or not dropping it).

It seemed like you did a little "boof boof boof" combo, then you felt bad and gave him room and he did a little "boof boof boof" combo back, or a kick, then it was your turn again to "boof boof" or kick.
Fighting isn't chess where you make a move and then you wait for the opponent to make a move and then it's your turn again, fighting can be, it starts, you make 10 moves and it's over.

You don't want to always stop after landing a short combo, if you land something and they loose balance, looks super tired, seems very hurt by it etc you want to keep on going and just try to end it then and there. It seemed like you (possible) rocked him a few times.

Also your taller and I suspect you could have used that better. I didn't count but no way he should land almost equal amounts of combos if you abuse the length to your advantage (jabbing, moving away etc). You gave him too much space to operate and didn't try to corner him and stuff. You also could work on being lighter on your feet, you were a bit flatfooted and your opponent had better footwork (quicker back and forth). Just being a little more on the toes and moving faster can possible help you tackle some stuff better. And it also adds power to your combos if you are quicker to move when needed. Timing matters almost more than force in fighting, a hard kick to the guard of an expecting opponent often isn't much compared to a slightly softer kick that lands just right when the opponent is out of balance or couldn't see it coming. Movement is so important to be able to time in a combo at that short moments your opponent opens up or makes a mistake. But props up to you winning that fight
All I can say sir, is thank you for this very in depth analysis of where I can improve, and I look forward to my next fight so I can show you that everything you said has been taking into consideration ;)!!
I know it’s hard to see in the video, but I did fuck up his face pretty good by the end of the fight, the guy had no quit in him what so ever!

I agree that he was definitely a good matchup for me! I got the fight on 10-12 days notice, so I didn’t really have time to improve a lot of my cardio.. After the fight I was kinda disappointed because even though I won, I just felt there were so many things I didn’t get to do in the fight.. I barely tried any of the combinations I’ve been working on in the fight.. I didn’t utilize my jab at all. I only used my outside leg kick in the beginning of the fight.. I didn’t punch the body at all.. and I could go on and on about the stuff that I could have done better.. But all that will have to wait until next time I get a fight ;)! - All in all it was a awesome experience and I’m stoked that won the fight with no injury’s or anything like that :)!
I know what you mean, it's very easy to be disappointed because you want to perform well, but honestly it was a good first fight. It goes without saying that you have to keep working, but that's a good first experience I'd say. Doesn't mean you don't have to be critical and learn from the mistakes you did, even if he didn't capitalise on them.

You have a real nice left hand, you stayed relaxed, you use your range and distance well and you are a southpaw. Lots of good stuff. On the other hand, you have to be more thoughtful of your head positioning and chin in the air, you are vulnerable if they can get in position, even with your movement. Are step in knees allowed in the format?

BTW I 100% remember you now. We have sparred together a few times at Rumble and I've been caught once or twice with your left hand so I know it's pretty good haha. It sucks being out, but I have had a few concussions with lingering effects (mostly my neck is fucked up) so it isn't really responsible for me to go back. Even after hitting the bag the other day my neck is killing me right now. Hopefully I will get it sorted and be back for at least drilling at maybe some lighter sparring! Either way, well done!

Good use of your reach and of straight punches to keep your stocky opponent at bay, and also good composure not going too wild so that you're not completely gassing out like your opponent who was already knackered after the first round.

There are 2 things I mostly noticed which could be dangerous and should be corrected IMO.

One is you have a tendency of having your chin up in the air instead of tucked in and it became even more obvious after the first round probably as you got more tired. This even had you caught a couple of times but you could get punished a lot more for it.

The other thing I noticed is that the majority of your kicks tend to be thrown a bit slow IMO and with both hands down. Your opponent's guard was quite open to the body especially and he didn't really know how to block kicks or put you off balance when you threw your kicks so it wasn't too much of a problem in this fight I guess (apart from the couple of times when he landed a punch as you kicked), but I'd say that's something you should work on -> faster kicks and bringing the hands back up quicker too.

Back