My digital notebook

frystyle

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
It is time for me to start a log. I have been training for a long time but never been consistent. Took time off because of injurys or I was fucking around with bro splits and got nothing done. I did starting strength, 531 and Greyskull LP. Most of the programs where done on a cut because I would let myself get a little fat when I wasn't training. Because I wasn't consistent I never really got some decent numbers, hence the title. I think that my current 5 RM's are the same maxes as when I first ran Starting Strength.

The reason to start this log is to keep myself honest and consistent with the program I am running. I found that everytime things get hard I want to change the program and hope it magically gets easier. Hopefully not this time.

Weight: 83/83 kgs/185lbs
Height: 1.91 m / 6' 3"

Current program: Starting Strength (started 4 may 2015)
Current 5 RM's:
Squat: 100 kg
Bench press: 62,5 kg
Military press: 47,5 kg
Power clean: 45 kg
Deadlift: 112,5 kg

Goal: getting stronger ofcourse. Short term goal (this year): bw bench press.
Long term goal: 2x bw deadlift.

Current 3RM (7-9-2015)
Squat 107,5 kg
Deadlift 122,5 kg
Military press 52 kg
Bench press 70 kg

Almost forgot to mention I also train kickboxing/muay thai 2 or 3 times a week. So I will log that too.

Last edited:
Welcome to the logs. Good luck, I hope this helps you stay consistent.

Training tonight was meh.

Squat: 3x5 102,5 kg not deep enough.
This was the third training trying this weight. I filmed myself everytime and I have not hit depth on all 5 reps/3 sets last 3 workouts. Some were deep enough but most around parallel. I am going to deload the weight. 1st deload on Squat.

Military press: tried 49 kg for the first time. Got 4, 3, 3 reps.
So I will try this weight again next time.

Deadlift: 117,5 kg.
Got 2 reps. This was also the third time trying this weight. My deadlift form sucks. First attempt I got 2 reps, second attempt 3 and today 2 reps again. Will deload this lift and really work on correct form.

I don't like that I have to deload this early in the program. I started 7 weeks ago on the 4th of may. But I gotta keep in mind that technique > weight.

Just finished training, was a good one except the squats felt hard even though I deloaded the weight with 10%.

Squat:
3x5 92,5 kg all reps with good depth. They felt really hard tho.

Bench press:
3x5 65 kg
These felt really good. Asked a guy to spot me because I was not sure if I could get all the reps but I did.

Power cleans:
5x3 47,5 kg
These felt good. I have to get under the bar more/faster because I am very upright when I catch the weight.

Decided to throw in some chinups:
3x3

Face pulls:
3x15 10 kg

Ab work

Bw this morning was 83,6 kg. Session was something like 1.40 hour.

No limber 11 as warming up, equipment was being used so I just did some random stretches.

Squat:
3x5 95 kg. Felt hard but went deep so that's good I guess. I got a video of the first 2 sets:

[YT]sDlU0GBQu6E[/YT]

Military press:
3x5 49 kg. I am VERY happy about this! I did in no way expect this. The first set was a grind to get all 5 reps but I got it. Then the second set came and I wanted to hit the 5 reps again, took a few seconds break between the 4th and 5th rep but managed to finish it. I took about 6 minutes rest because I was determind to get 5 reps on the last set. It was a real grinder but I got it. Did not expect this, especially if you look at the lest pressing sesson: 4, 3, 3 reps.

Deadlift:
1x5 105 kg.
Got all 5 reps but I am not satisfied with the form.
I had to deload with 10% because I could not finish the previous weight (117,5) the last 3 sessions. I really want to fix my form on this lift. Video is below. I am not happy with rep 4 and 5, I gotta keep that chin tucked.

[YT]XIRZqjW_D70[/YT]

Face pulls:
3x15 10 kg

Ab work

Bw: 84,2 kg.
Session lasted 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Overall: very happy with the military press. Less with the deadlift because of the form. Squats are ok, they feel hard, like they are supposed to ;).

Formchecks are always welcome!

Last edited:
Limber 11

Squat:
3x5 97,5 kg

Felt good, hard, but good.
[YT]ThLombGb5GU[/YT]

Bench press:
67,5 kg
5, 5, 3F.

First set felt ok. Asked a random guy to spot me. He kept touching the bar with his hands even though I told him only to help when the bar goes down when I am trying to get it up.

Second set I got all 5 reps with no help but my ass left the bench on the 2 last reps. So this set doesn't really count.

Last set I managed to get 3 reps. The 4th wouldn't come up.

I will try this weight again next time I am benching. Tips for next time: get/stay more tight! I did not focus on keeping my shoulderblades retracted and tensing my glutes on the bench. I also need to focus more on straightening my elbow instead of just pushing up the weight. The previous bench workout felt much better and more stable (65kg).

Power cleans:
5x3 50 kg.

Felt good but my form isn't the best. If you have any pointers please let me know.

[YT]c0vn9iFG3e4[/YT]
Edit: my Windows moviemaker skills suck lol.

Face pulls 3x15
Chin ups 4, 3, 3, 2
Planks 3x30s

Bw this morning: 85,1.
Session lasted 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Last edited:
O yeah no muay thai this week due to study. Had some exams to make in the evening.

Last edited:
Limber 11 as warming up.

Squats
3x5 100 kg.
Form felt allright, hit depth on all reps. Hopefully I will again when I am doing 102,5 kg.

Military press
50 kg, 3 reps on all 3 sets

Repeat this weight next time.
Felt hard. Got the bar up around eye level but couldn't lift it overhead on the 4th rep of every set.

Deadlift:
1x5 110 kg.
These felt hard. Damn. Form is still not good even though I deloaded.

Video (includes last warm up set):

[YT]qB_eUe6g2Nc[/YT]

Did not lock out properly on the last rep because of grip/sweaty hands. Forgot to bring chalk. If someone who sees this can give me some tips that would be awesome.

Chin ups:
3x3

Face pulls:
3x15 10 kg

EZbar curls supersetted w/ skullcrushers 3x12

Ab work

Session lasted 1 hour and 30 minutes. Bodyweight this morning was 84,6 kg.

Muay Thai tonight.

I could not make it to training last week because of study. This was the last training (for experienced) before the holiday's. During the holiday there is only one session (for all levels) per week instead of 3.

Started with a light warming up, some jogging and shadowboxing.

Then onto partner drills.

First some box combinations. A lot of catch and jab work.
Also some combinations where you punch 2 times with the same hand like: jab, left hook followed by a cross. We also were training some handtraps, very cool stuff. Especially if you can trap someone and then go into the clinch.

After that on to some teep drills. Partner makes jab cross and you interrupt him with a teep. Followed by a round kick to the ribs or low kick.

Then we did some drills that focusses more on kicking. Partner throws a jab cross, you block the jab and cross and at the same time as you block the cross you make a round kick with your front leg to the liver. Follow that up with a teep and finish with a lowkick.

After that some clinchwork.

Very light session. Usually the thuesday training sessions kick my ass and hinder recovery for the rest of the week lol. O yea, because it's very nice weather now there are not so many people training. Just me and 2 other guys and the trainer. I really like these sessions in smaller groups because of the feedback.

Bodyweight this morning 84,8 kg.

Last edited:
Trained in another gym today in my town to check it out. The barbells are 20kg but have less grip. That kinda sucked.

Squat
3x5 102,5 kg
All good, satisfied with depth :).
Video is of the last set:
[YT]o7TWfuXjaUk[/YT]

Bench press
67,5 kg again
4, 3, 3 reps.
Had pain in my right elbow after squats. Due to less grip my hands slided to the Side when I was pressing. Fucked up. Repeat weight next time.

Power cleans
5x3 52,5 kg.
Not very good technique. Bar was slipping in my hands. Same weight next time.

Chin ups
3, 2, 2

Face pulls
3x15 10 kg

Bodyweight this morning 84,6 kg.
Muay thai later tonight if my elbow feels okay.

Last edited:
Muay Thai

30 minutes warming up, jogging mixed with calesthenics and some sprinting.

Different combinations with a partner.

A lot of box combinations followed up by a lowkick/round kicks.

Finished with stretching.

Limber 11

Squat
3x5 105 kg
Heavy! But managed to get all reps with decent form and below parallel.

Video of last set:
[YT]IvIM-Y5Dx_Q[/YT]
My elbow felt like shit again after squats. I might need to do some rereading about form and elbow positioning.

Military press:
50 kg again.
3, 4, 3 reps.
Another fail with 50 kg to get 15 reps. Did manage to grind out a 4th rep on the second set.

Deadlift
1x5 115 kg. Almost back to 117,5 kg. I stalled at 117,5 and 3 reps was the most I got. So that makes me happy to hit 5 reps with 115. Untill I saw the form :/. A lot of lower back rounding. Gonna decide if I stick at this weight to work on form or add weight next time..

Video:
[YT]BWLLBolAfcw[/YT]

Chin ups
3, 3, 2

Dips
3x8

Face pulls
3x15 10 kg

Abs

Bodyweight this morning: 84,5 kg.

Last edited:
Shittiest workout (ever?) for me. Fuck me.

Limber 11

Squat
3, 3, 1.
Will upload video's of my fails later. Squats made my elbow hurt like help. I also felt it in my shoulder so this shit sucks. After squats I went to the bathroom to cool the elbow but that didn't help.

[YT]y3zvPyHMHL4[/YT]

Bench press:
1 set of 5 reps with the bar. Didn't feel good so decided to stop to prevent more pain in elbow.

Power cleans
First set 3 half ass reps
Second set 2 reps

It just didn't feel good so I also stopped with power cleans. I don't want to make this injury any worse.

Practiced sumo deadlifts just to try it
2 x 10 x 60 kg

All in all a very shitty session because of the elbow. I hope it heals fast. I blame my squat form so
I am gonna look in to this.

Bw this morning 84 kg. I gotta eat more. I blame the Squat fails to this. I think I didn't recover enough cause the 105 kg last friday felt much much better. I am going to upload Squat vids later cause later I want to look back at it and laugh about it.

Last edited:
Limber 11

Squat
107,5 kg again
5, 4, 2 reps.
The first two sets where not below parallel. I felt my chest drop, need to adress that next time. Right elbow also hurts again after squats.

Military press
Warmed up and then tried 57,5 kg for the sohp comp. It wouldn't go past eyelevels.
55 kg was a real grinder but went up. Shoulders were fried after that and had to do my regular sets.

50 kg
2, 3, 1

Felt real hard. Third time not getting 15 reps. Deload with 10%.

Deadlift
120 kg deadlift: 4 reps.

Form wasn't the prettiest but I am very happy to hit 4 reps, it felt awesome going for that 4th rep.

I believe my personal best for deadlift ever is like 120 kg for 1 or 2 reps.
Next time I hope to get all 5 reps.

Chin ups 3 x 3
Dips 3 x 8
Face pulls 3x15 15 kg
Abs

Muay thai last night
Good session, was very tired afterwards.

Limber 11

Squats
107,5 kg
5 reps, not good depth on all reps
5 reps, same as above
3 reps

2nd stall on squat. Deload with 10% and more food. Also gotta watch my technique cause elbow hurts again after squats.

Bench press
67,5 kg
4, 3, 2 reps
1st stall on bench press. Deload.

Power cleans
52,5 kg
These felt better than last time but I need to fix form. The difference in technique between 52,5 and 50 kg is big. The heavier the weight the more I use my arms to reverse curl the weight up. Deload in weight to fix this issue.

Because I sucked on all main lifts I wanted to get some more assistance in.

Chin ups
4, 3, 3

Dips
3x8

Barbell curls
3x8

Lying tricep extensions
3x8

Face pulls
3x15 10 kg

Abs

No limber 11, I was late and hungover so I wanted to make sure I had enough time to finish the training before the gym closes.

Squat
3x5 97,5
Heavyy, probably because of all the beers last night and not enough proper sleep.
O yeah, elbow hurting again after warming up. Tried to point my elbows down instead of back to see if that helps. Cant tell at the moment but I will expirement with that a little.

Military press
3x5 45 kg
Felt a little heavier then it should but that was because of the above reasons ^.

Deadlift
I really wanted to hit 5 reps with 120 kg today. Pumped myself up with some music and pooof mp3 ran out of battery, sunnovabitch. But whatever, I got it of the ground for 5 reps so I am happy about that. Form wasn't the prettiest though (really ugly tbh). Reminder to myself: next program needs more deadlift work in it. In my opinion SS has not enough volume with heavier weights to focus on technique. In the top set it is balls to the wall every training cause every set is a pr. And this makes it hard to focus on technique. And If I do more warming up sets with heavier weight the top set will suffer.

In short; 120 kg for 5 reps.

Face pulls
3x15 10 kg
Abs
Chin ups 3x3
Dips 3x8

Limber 11

Squat
3x5 100 kg
Kinda hard. Elbow still not 100% but better than last time.

Bench press
3x5 60 kg

Power cleans
5x3 47,5 kg

Dips 3x8
Chin ups 3x3
Barbell curls 3x8
Lying tricep extensions 3x8
Face pulls 3x15 10 kg
ABS

Bw this morning 85,1 kg

Next week I am going on holiday to Greece. Hopefully my elbow will heal.

Back