My fighting days are done. Long read.

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
a9sh21.jpg

Its with a heavy heart that i have finaly realized that my fighting days are done. I got the body and skills to do it. But my head is not in the right place to climb into the ring.

Time goes by so fast. My last fight was in 2013. Thats a long time ago. And i aint getting any younger. I was gonna fight alot after my last fight. But then my two kids came into my life. So that put things on hold for a while.

This was the year i finaly was gonna fight again. But at the end of 2017, my daughter got diabetes type 1. Now she lives with a insulin pump. And we need to check her often. This shit is very stressful.

I could wait until we get used to the diabetes situation. But right now i know that i can not have the right focus it takes to do a real fight.

I am getting old. 6 month til i am 40 fucking years old. I feel 29 in the gym. Not 39.

But the years dont lie. I am 39.

I have two great kids, a fine woman i love, and a nice well paid job.

So yeah.. I guess its no more fights. In 1997 i stepped on to the mat for my first fight in sanshou. 2002 i had my first muay thai fight in Thailand in chumphon. And in chiang mai 2013 i had my last fight.

@Sinister i guess i wont be needing my pro fight tag anymore. If i know myself right, i will probably be doing something crazy years from now.. But no more fights are on my radar now.

I gonna be a gym rat. And a coach.

Sorry for the long read guys.

a9sh21.jpg

Its with a heavy heart that i have finaly realized that my fighting days are done. I got the body and skills to do it. But my head is not in the right place to climb into the ring.

Time goes by so fast. My last fight was in 2013. Thats a long time ago. And i aint getting any younger. I was gonna fight alot after my last fight. But then my two kids came into my life. So that put things on hold for a while.

This was the year i finaly was gonna fight again. But at the end of 2017, my daughter got diabetes type 1. Now she lives with a insulin pump. And we need to check her often. This shit is very stressful.

I could wait until we get used to the diabetes situation. But right now i know that i can not have the right focus it takes to do a real fight.

I am getting old. 6 month til i am 40 fucking years old. I feel 29 in the gym. Not 39.

So yeah.. I guess its no more fights. In 1997 i stepped on to the mat for my first fight in sanshou. 2002 i had my first muay thai fight in Thailand in chumphon. And in chiang mai 2013 i had my last fight.

@Sinister i guess i wont be needing my pro fight tag anymore. If i know myself right, i will probably be doing something crazy years from now.. But no more fights are on my radar now.

Listen to ur heart man, u don't want to be in the wrong mind state in a dangerous sport like combat sports. Sorry that ur family and ur daughter have to go through that.. I understand 100% where ur coming from about time flying.

I haven't fought since 2013 either, start boxing late 2012. I was dealing with my illness for these last years so unable to complete any kind of camp or compete again until now. The thought of 5 years passing since I've fought makes me sick to my stomach... I have dreams and aspirations of becoming a world champion and believing I have a destiny that is meant for something great, its something in 2013 that I knew was going to happen because I had all the time in the world. I was so young still. Now at 22 I'm not so sure.. I believe in myself but I'm not "sure" of it anymore. 22 with 3 amateur fights maybe 60-70 sparring sessions in my life. Getting that 5 years back will make me 27. Horrible feeling and has even made me question if I'm gonna pursue boxing with everything I got still, not to mention one of my close family members is very sick and needs me around often, so I can't dedicate months in Vegas with my trainer because of family issues. Shit is very stressful.

I'm gonna keep on trucking and hope life turns around and gives me the time necessary to make my dreams come true.

Life is a trip.. and time is lightning fast. Its been a year and a half since my surgery. Holy shit, time to get the ball rolling!!! Before I know it, I'll be 39 as well.

Also, that wasn't a long read! A 16 year fighting career sounds like a dream come true to me.

Sucks getting older bro, but you have 2 kids to pass your knowledge onto. Best of luck

Listen to ur heart man, u don't want to be in the wrong mind state in a dangerous sport like combat sports. Sorry that ur family and ur daughter have to go through that.. I understand 100% where ur coming from about time flying.

I haven't fought since 2013 either, start boxing late 2012. I was dealing with my illness for these last years so unable to complete any kind of camp or compete again until now. The thought of 5 years passing since I've fought makes me sick to my stomach... I have dreams and aspirations of becoming a world champion and believing I have a destiny that is meant for something great, its something in 2013 that I knew was going to happen because I had all the time in the world. I was so young still. Now at 22 I'm not so sure.. I believe in myself but I'm not "sure" of it anymore. 22 with 3 amateur fights maybe 60-70 sparring sessions in my life. Getting that 5 years back will make me 27. Horrible feeling and has even made me question if I'm gonna pursue boxing with everything I got still, not to mention one of my close family members is very sick and needs me around often, so I can't dedicate months in Vegas with my trainer because of family issues. Shit is very stressful.

I'm gonna keep on trucking and hope life turns around and gives me the time necessary to make my dreams come true.

Life is a trip.. and time is lightning fast. Its been a year and a half since my surgery. Holy shit, time to get the ball rolling!!! Before I know it, I'll be 39 as well.

Also, that wasn't a long read! A 16 year fighting career sounds like a dream come true to me.

Listen. You are still so young. And it sound like you are very hungry as well. Take your own advice and listen to your heart. Do it. I aint no boxing expert. But i can tell from your videos that you have both physical talent and skilset to get far.

So even if you have things in your life that holds you back, you are still very young if you take care of your body. Bernard Hopkins..?

Go for it man. :D

If it is what you feel is right, it is the right decision Frode. It's not always easy making the right decisions, but life goes on. Even if you do not fight in the ring again, you can still keep learning and growing and there will be other opportunities to do what you love. Sounds like you have a beautiful family and I wish you, and them, the best.

I think you'll find that teaching and helping others is even more fun and fulfilling than doing it yourself.

Hence, people elect to play Pokemon instead of sparring possums and mountain lions

You fought. You had the courage to get in there, no one can take that from you regardless of the future. I certainly am not going to in a virtual sense.

I feel like I'm in a similar boat as you, except Im 34 and have 6 kids under my care. Ar this point though, opting out of fighting isn't really an option. I have relationships and a part time business established that are tied in directly to training and fighting.

I crave getting off at my day job and going straight home to enjoy the evening hours with my family. However I also crave quitting my day job to run my side business full time, which isn't going to happen if I throw in the towel now.

Good luck man, enjoy the down time.

You've had good fights and experience of being a pro. Its hard to admit it, but at least you know where you are

If you do want to get back to it in the future, there's always small shows around. You fought professionally and no ones gonna take that away from you.

But family and health will always take precedence

Now its time to get jack3d and tan since your name's off the USADA list ;)

I can definitely relate frode. Sorry to hear about your daughter and her DM I. Hopefully you guys will be able to get her blood sugars well controlled.

You earned your tag, brother. And sorry to hear about your daughter. There's no greater fight than that for one's safety and quality of life. Respect.

a9sh21.jpg

Keep training, Keep supporting your family, Keep on being you............it's just another chapter in life......

You've done more than most ever do - if you don't fight again then no one can take that away from you. Just never say never, we may see you in the ring one day yet.

All the best dude, to you and your family

- You got a more important battle to face my friend.Taking care of your family.
Hope that all gets well for you.

All the medals and trophies get rust. But the memories will last forever!

@Frode Falch

It's a shame you hung up your gloves. I was looking forward to your posts on your fight (prep, fight, post). Now I'll be looking forward to your coaching posts.

Be well sir!

Last edited:
Good luck with your new journey. And wish the best for the little girl. You are a good man.

New challenges my friend. Pick something that you'll feel good about.

Martial Arts will always be there for you my friend. It's a life long passion that will always be there for you no matter how much or little you need it to be.

Suck it up cupcake, and then go on to train the next generation of low kick annihilators. It’s what old lions do- keep their pride (pun) and start helping the next in line

Sad to read about your kid Frode. Hopefully she adjusts quickly and her blood sugars are controlled.

You're moving on to the next stage in your martial arts journey. It's a hurdle we all will eventually cross with you.

At least you had the wisdom to know when to call it quits (some people realise too late) and had the opportunity to experience something most people never will.

Good luck with the next part of your martial arts journey dude!

Back