My first boxing fight

Dougall

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So here's a video from my first boxing fight, I'm the one in the blue and white thai shorts.
Ive been training for few months now. I can tell watching it back I made a lot of mistakes, but is there anything in particular I should work on ?
All comments and criticisms welcome
Not sure how to timestamp but thee fight starts at 2:30 in.

Good fight!

Well done man, you did very well for your first fight! Your stance is pretty good (obviouly better before when fresh) and you're using your feet well. You moved around him a lot and made it hard for him to get you to the corner. I like the in and out step with the jab as well, you caught him clean with that and made him miss afterwards. You could have taken advantage of him when he missed you as you were stepping back and he opened up, but that'll come. I liked that you didn't shy away from the fight when it got a bit gritty as well!

Most glaring thing is that when you throw your right hand and step in with it, your lead hand comes down and your chin comes up. This is before you get tired. You're very open on your left side and you're in range to get punched, that's why he caught you a few times with the overhand and definitely had the most success with that punch. As you tire, your chin starts coming up and you do the same thing with pretty much any rear hand punch (including the uppercut) and your lead comes down. That'll probably be the first thing you need to work on.

Again, good job!

So here's a video from my first boxing fight, I'm the one in the blue and white thai shorts.
Ive been training for few months now. I can tell watching it back I made a lot of mistakes, but is there anything in particular I should work on ?

I think you, used your reach well and the movement in and out was good. You should of just hit him with with a long stiff jab constantly and he wouldnt of got close to you.

I presume you won the fight as you was definately the better fighter. I definately think you have some good base skills to build on. Well done

Good work, nice staying calm and collected for the most part for ur first fight.

That is a super cool amateur show, where is that? ring girl and everything? Lucky to fight in that atmosphere!

Good work, nice staying calm and collected for the most part for ur first fight.

That is a super cool amateur show, where is that? ring girl and everything? Lucky to fight in that atmosphere!

It looks like a 'white collar boxing" event there are lots of these events for people with none to a little boxing experience in the uk. 3 x 2 minute rounds. It gets people into boxing. I presume that is what it is anyway.

That is a nice venue.

Shit, I remember my first fight being in a basketball stadium. MT I mean, not brawling after ball.

That said, I'm not a boxer, but in fighting things are still the same. One thing your opponent did better than you was immediately retaliate and interrupt your flurry. You took a bit longer to, the important thing is to never let it go for long. It serves you no benefit. Also, when he interrupted your flurry, you bailed on the combo. That's new guy mistake #2. Doing that is a green-light to people that you're not solid and anything they throw will stop you dead in your tracks.

You throwing repeated uppercuts with your chin sky high is a no no. Don't do that. Its a good thing nothing bad happened, but damn it could've ended real bad.

Good stuff at the end when you unloaded

Also, post nudes of the ring broad at 4:25

It looks like a 'white collar boxing" event there are lots of these events for people with none to a little boxing experience in the uk. 3 x 2 minute rounds. It gets people into boxing. I presume that is what it is anyway.

Yeah this is what it was to an extent. Mine and a few other fights we white collar matches, some fights at the end of the night were semi-pro and for some European or Irish titles. It was a really good set up on the night, TVs with coverage from every angle etc.

It was in a hotel in Ireland. Pretty long night too, there was 16 fights not including a "blindfolded boxing" where they picked members of the crowd lol. It was nice to have my first fight at an event like this, it really felt the part.

One thing your opponent did better than you was immediately retaliate and interrupt your flurry. You took a bit longer to, the important thing is to never let it go for long. It serves you no benefit. Also, when he interrupted your flurry, you bailed on the combo. That's new guy mistake #2. Doing that is a green-light to people that you're not solid and anything they throw will stop you dead in your tracks.

You throwing repeated uppercuts with your chin sky high is a no no. Don't do that. Its a good thing nothing bad happened, but damn it could've ended real bad.

Also, post nudes of the ring broad at 4:25
So try to work more on interrupting my opponents flurry and not allow him to get the combos off?
And when he interrupts my flurry, and I bail on my combo, should i just continue to throw what I had planned to throw?
I havent got to the point where I can instinctively throw combos at openings and i still plan out my shots. Should i just continue with throwing what i planned even though i could just hit arms?

Good fight!

Most glaring thing is that when you throw your right hand and step in with it, your lead hand comes down and your chin comes up. This is before you get tired. You're very open on your left side and you're in range to get punched, that's why he caught you a few times with the overhand and definitely had the most success with that punch. As you tire, your chin starts coming up and you do the same thing with pretty much any rear hand punch (including the uppercut) and your lead comes down. That'll probably be the first thing you need to work on.

Again, good job!

I just got a mirror set up at home to shadowbox infront off, it seems to remind me more about my non-punching hand as I can see when i'm going wrong in my reflection. Hopefully this helps my with keeping my hands up, do you know of any drills which target this specifically?

Also, Thanks for all the comments everyone. I'm more just glad that I've got my first fight over with and I wasn't too nervous about it and enjoyed the experience. Looking forward to the next one now.

So try to work more on interrupting my opponents flurry and not allow him to get the combos off?
And when he interrupts my flurry, and I bail on my combo, should i just continue to throw what I had planned to throw?
I havent got to the point where I can instinctively throw combos at openings and i still plan out my shots. Should i just continue with throwing what i planned even though i could just hit arms?
Yep. The longer you wait, the worse the last strike will be. It could be a liver shot, or something real nasty to the body as you're breathing in. Generally the most you should take before interrupting is 2-3 max, any more and you risk big stuff coming. And not doing this, will give him confidence to tee off on you. The last thing you want to do is let a guy who's already nervous as shit (with the potential to do damage to you) get even more confident.

Continue with the combo, maybe you get hit with a jab while throwing a 1,2,3,2. Fire back with something right away and resume the combination or finish the combination. Now the exception to this is if you get hit with a real heavy strike and it wobbles you, but even then you have to fire back still. Backing off and slowing down will show it affected you and you're hurt, then he's gonna bring all offense down on you like the end when you teed off on him in the corner.

You have to hit back, waiting for the perfect shot and thinking a strike will be ineffective will only make him feel comfortable. Its actually surprising and counter-intuitive how it works, you think if its weak it won't do anything and will be a waste of energy, but its not. Even if its a light jab with no weight behind it, and given you guys are both new, it works. If you're fighting someone with alot of exp. under their belt, well it probably won't work as well then since they know about this as well and can tell.

The whole thing about fighting really boils down to delivering your offense, not showing weakness/injury to your opponent, and taking away their confidence by shutting them down. You have technique and strategy which is good, but like alot of people fresh in combat sports (myself included at the time), you have to learn how to "fight". The good thing is, it looks like its not too much to ask for. You should be able to pick it up fine. Just think, the last end of the round how aggressive you went, it should always be like that, even if you get hit with something big and are losing, you have to keep that aggressive mindset.

As for not being able to instintively throw combos everywhere, that means you need to drill this day in and out. When I started out, the absolute basics were:
  • Combination (offense)
  • Combination (defense)
  • Clinch work
  • Ring control

All camp, in and out thats all I was doing, nothing else. I only had 1 combo for each (total 2) and drilled it in til became muscle memory. Come fight night, even if I wanted to throw single shots, I wasn't, the combo just came out. When it comes to fighting adrenaline sinks in, and we lose cognitive thinking, so we really need skills to use like a tool laying around and we grab it ASAP. Its one of the reasons my coach is against gameplans with alot of moving parts for new guys. Nerves, adrenaline, stress, it all takes away thinking and we become beasts relying on muscle memory. Can't be doing the complex stuff in that situation until you accumulate the exp.

So pick something simple and effective, and drill it to death.

Last edited:

Good footwork . A great event for a first fight. You really stepped after just a few months of training.

Back