My good feelz thread. Cop and CEO, it was the right thing to do

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Man walks over a dozen miles to first day of work, CEO gifts him car as thanks

JUL 17, 2018 12:25 AM EDT U.S.

BY DANIELLE GARRAND / CBS NEWS

It was supposed to be Walter Carr's first day of work with a moving company Sunday when his car broke down. But, instead of calling out, he walked through the night to be on time.

Carr's vehicle stopped working the night before his first day with the moving company Bellhops, and he knew he couldn't miss it. So, he decided to walk. Carr began his hike from Homewood, Alabama, to the town of Pelham, Alabama, at midnight. He walked at least 14 miles before police picked him up at 4 a.m., reports CBS affiliate WIAT-TV.

Once police heard his story, they took Carr to breakfast. Then, they gave him a ride the rest of the way to the home of the Lamey family, who he was scheduled to help move that morning.

Carr arrived at the home of Jenny Hayden Lamey and her family before the rest of the movers arrived. "I asked Walter if he wanted to go upstairs and rest until everyone else arrived," said Lamey in a Facebook post, "He declined and said he could go ahead and get started." So, the family and Carr began packing up the home, chatting along the way.

Lamey discovered that Carr and his mother were from New Orleans, but moved to Alabama after losing their home during Hurricane Katrina."He looked at me in the eye and smiled and I felt like I had known him much longer," wrote Lamey of the pair's interaction that morning.

The rest of the crew arrived later in the morning and Lamey insisted Carr share the story of his grueling night with the other movers. "Walter said 'I walked.' That was it. Humble," said Lamey, "I asked him to share a little more and when he did, the crew was in awe of him too! I don't know that Walter would have shared if I hadn't asked him to."

"I'm really proud to be on the same team as Walter," Marklin wrote on Twitter, "We set a high bar on service and he just raised it. Look forward to thanking him in person this week." But, Marklin did a bit more than just thank Carr -- he gifted Carr his 2014 Ford Escape, according to WIAT-TV.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...walks-to-first-day-of-work-ceo-gifts-him-car/

Do I have to comment on a feel good story?

The cop and CEO should have done that. It was the right thing to do.

You seem like someone whose name is Kyle.

Warms my heart, love to see people with an incredible work ethic be rewarded. And his humble demeanor is refreshing and inspiring.

Good on them guys for helping him out too.

I wish someone would give me a bunch of free shit so they could post on facebook what they gave me.

Cool story, quality people. I don't think I've ever had it in me to walk 20 miles to work, so props to the guy. That's outstanding!

Cops are good people. The whole group gets castigated though. We don't do this with other professions.

There are surgeons who've fucked up, lots of them. There are no good surgeons.

Cops are good people. The whole group gets castigated though. We don't do this with other professions.

Dumb people who ruin their lives doing illegal shit have to blame someone

Dumb people who ruin their lives doing illegal shit have to blame someone
Well, it's perception and where one puts their weight of importance.

If nearly all news stories regarding police involve encounters that go sideways, that's going to stick in people's minds.
My best friend is a teacher and has to have cops in the building, and insists
"Every interaction I've ever had with a cop was bad!"

"Did he take the problem away?"

"Well, yes..."

In formal logic this is "counting the hits (the times something confirms your bias) and forgetting the misses", those times that events ran counter to expectations.

It's confirmation bias.

giphy.gif

That sort of work ethic deserves to be rewarded. Should we expect the same level of commitment from all employees? No, but it does set an interesting example of what one can and is willing to accomplish if one needs or wants something bad enough. We may not get it, but we certainly won't if we don't at least try with conviction.

Back