My Grandfather made me look very poor during a small family reunion :(

Clippy

Good Times
@plutonium
Reaction score
My 84 year old Grandfather had his 75 year old cousins come down and another friend of the family - plus others, my aunt etc - 12 of us I think

Went to a nice restaurant -- My Grandfather organized this gathering and felt like he should pay for the women's meals/drinks and the guys would be on their own. He kept saying he would pay for everyone's but can't afford it, so he'll get the womens. Cool I can totally pay for my own, no problem at all.

When the waitress handed him the bill for him and the women and each other guy's individual bills my Grandfather loudly asked me in front of everyone.

"You sure you can pay for this?

Yeah I can and I've taken him out plenty and he knows I have money. But he repeated that a few times.

"You SURE You're OK for the bill!?" as everyone in my family and friend re looking at me

Then I pull out my credit card and he loudly goes

"Oh thank goodness you have your CREDIT CARD"

What in the fuck

I love my gramps but he made me look like a charity case in front of everyone, now everyone is going to go home and start a go fund me page.

I talked to my Grandfather later about this in a similar fashion as I told you guys and he just had a hearty laugh about it, he thought it was hilarious- I mean he laughed his ass off when he realized how he made me look in front of everyone

<mma3>

Last edited:
I have payed for stuff for my family and gotten the old "how do you have enough money to pay you dont even have a job."

Older people will never believe selling stuff on ebay is a business

I have payed for stuff for my family and gotten the old "how do you have enough money to pay you dont even have a job."

lol I remember you saying you haven't worked in four years or something

But my Gramps knows me and the wife both have jobs, I got the house, I got the car, I got the 3 cats, I'm doing just fine - my extended family are going to think I'm struggling with life lol

Next time, just respond to him just as loudly across the table: "Yeah I got this gramps, after all, somebody has to cover your broke ass. We all know all you have is lint in your pockets & sawdust in your balls, you old fuck." Then just smile, and casually go back to eating.

Should have just said he was right and he'd have to pay for your food too.

Your grandfather sounds like he has a healthy sense of humor.

"we'll see who has the last laugh"...you old...

Passive aggressive Gramps just needed to put the young buck his place. You probably pissed him off somehow earlier and didn't realize it.

One day when he's gone and all you have left of him are memories and stories that will be one you enjoy sharing . But yeah for the moment that was shitty of him

One day when he's gone and all you have left of him are memories and stories that will be one you enjoy sharing . But yeah for the moment that was shitty of him

You know what, this story amuses me too. He sincerely didn't realize what he was doing and just felt bad that he couldn't pay for EVERYONE - it's all good - just worth a laugh.

Life is funny and I just like to tell stories :)

My 84 year old Grandfather had his 75 year old cousins come down and another friend of the family - plus others, my aunt etc - 12 of us I think

Went to a nice restaurant -- My Grandfather organized this gathering and felt like he should pay for the women's meals/drinks and the guys would be on their own. He kept saying he would pay for everyone's but can't afford it, so he'll get the womens. Cool I can totally pay for my own, no problem at all.

When the waitress handed him the bill for him and the women and each other guy's individual bills my Grandfather loudly asked me in front of everyone.

Yeah I can and I've taken him out plenty and he knows I have money. But he repeated that a few times.

"You SURE You're OK for the bill!?" as everyone in my family and friend re looking at me

What in the fuck

I love my gramps but he made me look like a charity case in front of everyone, now everyone is going to go home and start a go fund me page.

I talked to my Grandfather later about this in a similar fashion as I told you guys and he just had a hearty laugh about it, he thought it was hilarious- I mean he laughed his ass off when he realized how he made me look in front of everyone

<mma3>
You should have included a picture of your house in this post.

Next time, just respond to him just as loudly across the table: "Yeah I got this gramps, after all, somebody has to cover your broke ass. We all know all you have is lint in your pockets & sawdust in your balls, you old fuck." Then just smile, and casually go back to eating.

Reminds me of the scene in Gran Torino where Clint Eastwood takes the kid to the barber to teach him how to banter with other guys

What in the fuck

<mma3>

Tough one bro. My Mom's Dad was a 'good natured ball buster' before he passed. But he crossed the line quite a bit. And almost always with me because he knew that while public emasculations bristle and trigger me- badly, I tend not to respond. I just vote with my feet and don't hang out with the person.

I remember it was 1986, my Jr year in HS-Christmas break. I was eating with everyone, probably 20 family members and friends, but was eating very little because I had a wrestling tournament weigh in the next morning. This of course made me all the more irritable.

He just kept jabbing me about how I was scrawny enough already and I hat no 'shittin business' not eating. Maybe if I had a few more steaks I would not be such a weakling. On and on.

Finally I looked at him and said, 'You know Gramps, my parents have told me to respect my elders no matter what hundreds of times. I am beginning to wonder if they had you in mind when they told me that.' To this day I am so pleased with that remark. Because it can be interpreted and reinterpreted in so many ways. Cutting yet vague.

It must have really chafed Gramps, because an hour after dinner, after everyone left, I was summoned up to my dad's office for a discussion with both my parents and Gramps. They said that while they would always listen to any issues I had, public admonishments like that were not acceptable. I said I agreed, and thought that was a great rule for everyone, while I looked Gramps straight in the eyes. There were crickets.............then I just got up and left.

Man, I had not thought about that in years. Thanks for bringing this up!!!!!

But my Gramps knows me and the wife both have jobs, I got the house, I got the car, I got the 3 cats, I'm doing just fine - my extended family are going to think I'm struggling with life lol

He thinks you're poor because you can't afford gas to deliver those bricks. <Moves>

Sorry clips but my initial reaction when I see someone with 3 cats is they're poor

Just whisper in his ear, "your old ass is gonna die soon." Then laugh maniacally in his face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back