My Honest Assessment Of Whittaker vs Romero

How can someone score round 5 as a 7-10 is just embarassing...

Even in round 5 Whit had more distance strikes (and solid ones)

People are so fucking impressed by a knockdown
For many knockdown = complete domination

If you are ready to score 5 as a 7-10, round 1 is clearly a 10-8 with 33 to 9 strikes. Romero just stood there, while Whit punched him.

In the worst case scenario for Whit, you can say that it was a draw, with a final 8-10.
But a win? Seriously?
And you know the phrase... you have to beat the champ to be the champ...

Forget about rounds and UFC rules, who do you feel won the “fight”?

I feel that Whit transformed Romero in an asian guy at the end.

The correct score is 47-47
10-9
10-9
9-10
10-9
8-10

Every time I watch it I get more confused about the debate it just seems more obvious

Romero got screwed only so far as he should have had a draw. He didn't win the fight, he lost 3 rounds cleanly

Wait. 10-8 whittaker in the 1st? Just no.

9-10
9-10
10-9
9-10
10-8

The best argument to deviate from my card(and that of many); 10-9 4th to Romero based on the Bambi dance at the end of the round. 10-8 3rd Romero on the kd and having Whittaker in genuine peril. No genuine argument really exists for any Whittaker 10-8.
Seems a little bias.

Whittaker outlanded Romero by a HUGE margin in the first because Romero threw nothing...I can't recall the stats but I don't recall him throwing anything. I definitely don't remember him landing anything. If you get outsttuck for every second of the round, and your opponent is active on the feet, and you have zero offense...isn't that being dominated? Why not a 10-8? Or do you have to be on the brink of getting finished? I'd say not, because fighters like Khabib get 10-8s frequently for dominating the full round with control and pressure while his opponent is just trying to defend, even when they were never close to being stopped.

Romero rocked Whittaker with a left hook in the fourth, but he was definitely out struck for the rest of the round. The punch didn't knock him down, and he retaliated quickly. It's debatable, but I'd slide with the guy who wins most of the round than the guy who landed one good punch but didn't come close to finishing.

As for the 10-8 in the fifth...I could agree with that. He nearly stopped Whittaker, but Rob also returned fire once he got back to his feet. We all know how judges hesitate with 10-8s.

Personally, I scored it a draw, giving Yoel a 10-8 in the fifth. Rounds 1-4 were quite clear cut 10-9s in my opinion, taking into account that Rob took the fourth by being more active in offence, nullifying the hook that wobbled him for a fee seconds.

If you're giving Yoel round 4, a 10-8 in 5, and denying a 10-8 to Whittaker in round 1, then you are giving Yoel every possible benefit of the doubt and not giving Rob any at all.

Round 5 I scored as a 10.2 / 9 for fatty.

If you're giving Yoel round 4, a 10-8 in 5, and denying a 10-8 to Whittaker in round 1, then you are giving Yoel every possible benefit of the doubt and not giving Rob any at all.

I don't know what you are struggling with. I gave Whittaker the 4th. My scorecard is posted in this thread. The 4th to Yoel I think is the most reasonable argument other than my card. That argument is still not even close to changing my card.

In no way does mostly leg kicks ever score a 10-8 unless you knock him down multiple times and cripple him. A 10-10 4th is a hell of a lot better argument than a 10-8 1st. My card ain't changing 47-47 Super easy fight to score.

Back