My petition to allow gloveless MMA in PA to reduce brain trauma

Joe Rogan on gloves:
“It’s much more rare that boxers break their hands compared to MMA fighters. I think MMA fighters have an unrealistic amount of protection on their hands, and it’s just for their own protection really. I got interviewed recently when that guy did overseas, and was asked if I thought MMA fighters should have bigger gloves or head gear. I think the real answer is no gloves and no wrist taping. The thing is when you punch you have to try really hard to keep your wrist straight, and you have to hit with the first two knuckles. Reckless punching would go away."

Like I said earlier, MMA fighters do not know how to punch properly, and without the aid of gloves and wrist taping, they will punch far less. Leg kicks will increase, which will lead to more takedowns, and thus more submissions, because the grappler will be less hindered with the stupid gloves. Punching with just bare hands, in a real situation is not a very effective tool for maximum damage. Which is pretty much why most martial arts before the invention of gloves did not emphasize it. Less punching leads to more grappling, and grappling is safer for the brain, then being smashed by a foreign object on someones' hands.
I'm happy to give you your second ever like for that post. I definitely agree with Rogan on this, I know my coach agrees as well.

Did original Pancrase not have strikes on the ground? I thought the rule set was fairly similar to what was outlined in this thread but I'm not sure. And I agree completely, getting mounted and hit is awful, bouncing your head off the floor isn't too good, with or without gloves.

Sorry I'm thinking of RINGS, @tinobar 's baby.

Sure less brain trama to some degree.... so? lol

Is that your agument? Bare knuckle is dangerous in it's own way. That's not changing much.

I'm happy to give you your second ever like for that post. I definitely agree with Rogan on this, I know my coach agrees as well.
Well, there are people who started posting 11 years after I did and have 10 times the posts I do... So I am not in it for the recognition. Back when I started watching/training (late 80s - 90s) there were no gloves, no wrist taping, and no time limits. Suffice it to say grappling ruled, and most matches/fights ended in subs or exhaustion, both in our little circles and the bigger community. I always preferred the old school rules, found them more sporting, thats not a popular preference though, but I don't care. Hope it works out for you.

COmmission grey people will never understand. Your best bet is to have it as part of a burmese heritage event and call it modified Lethwei. Show a poster of a nerdy white guy wearing a gi to mislead them.

I like this philanthropist initiative very much.

"In this corner, with a record of 10 and 2 with 6 stoppages by broken hands........."

It’s absurd to suggest that bare knuckles is safer than punching with gloves

1st force of impact is greater with bare knuckles.

2nd ppl will just break their hands left n right

3rd there’s gonna be way more cuts, bruises, swellings n eye injuries...

Like someone said having a pancrase type rule where only open hand slaps are allowed to the head might work, however there’s no way ac will k bare knuckle fights

It’s absurd to suggest that bare knuckles is safer than punching with gloves

1st force of impact is greater with bare knuckles.

2nd ppl will just break their hands left n right

3rd there’s gonna be way more cuts, bruises, swellings n eye injuries...

Like someone said having a pancrase type rule where only open hand slaps are allowed to the head might work, however there’s no way ac will k bare knuckle fights

The impact is far greater with someone with wrist and hand wraps than with just bare knuckle. Like Joe Rogan talks about, to throw an effective punch, you have to keep your wrist straight, and hit with your first two knuckles. This is actually really hard to do. Its a different skill. Gloves let you punch with impunity, which is not the way real fighting works. Most fighters will have to punch less, and either grapple more or kick more, which is the way it used to be.

Fighters might break their hands more initially, but as they adjust, and they will have to, fights will be safer, and other skills will have to come to the fore.

Hey all,

I'm trying to promote a petition I started to have the PA State Athletic Commission allow a gloveless MMA promotion and pave the way for that change. I'm doing this with the goal of fighter safety. Any support or criticism is appreciated, the petition isn't entirely complete and I'm open to wording changes. Thanks

https://www.change.org/p/pa-state-a...to-allow-gloveless-mma-to-reduce-brain-injury
Interesting statistical analysis that points out KO's went up by 10% with the introduction of gloves.

https://combatsportslaw.com/2014/06/29/gloves-in-mma-increase-knockout-rate-tenfold/

And a good article about the impact of gloves

https://www.thedailybeast.com/hey-ufc-bring-back-bare-knuckle-fights-to-stop-brain-trauma

Last edited:
I'm in . oh Wait , I thought you said " to reintroduce brain trauma " . NVM , I'm out .

Padded MMA gloves are the culprit of concussion while bare knuckle causes more SAH. But I agree with the idea that gloveless makes it safer.

You can use fitted silicon or rubber gloves to reduce unnecessary wounds, fractures and bleeding.

I said "Chuck Liddell's best weapon is MMA glove" many years ago. Abandonment of glove will give grapplers better chance to win by choke.

Back