My prediction: Justin will turn into a wrestler in his next fight

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I've seen this before. Tough JBG guy gets knocked out a couple times, turns into a wrestler.

That’s what he said leading up to his fight against Poirier...

God I hope so
He also needs to work on his striking defence

That chin is only getting weaker and he's only getting older

I highly, highly doubt it. He might use his wrestling a little bit more, but Gaethje lives for the stand and bang. He's there to put on a show and is gonna ensure the fight ends in a finish, one way or another.

I would think that too, execpt he himself said he values entertainment over winning

He is a wrestler
That's the crazy thing, he is a D-1 All American. That means he is one of the top of college wrestlers. He probably has some of the best wrestling in the division, but doesn't want to use it. It's crazy

The dude straight up counts down how many fights he has left in him after every fight. He's not trying to do this for long and just wants to put on exciting fights and make some coin. I wouldn't be shocked if he did fight smarter and wrestle more next time out, but I ain't betting on it. He's got that warrior spirit to a major fault in terms of realizing his potential.

His wrestling instincts are gone. Even when he was basically out on his feet and fighting on pure instinct, the reaction to shoot for a takedown never even entered his mind. Even strikers will often shoot for takedowns when they get stung on the feet. See: McGregor/Diaz I

Is he going to open up a shitty restaurant and start missing weight too?

That's the crazy thing, he is a D-1 All American. That means he is one of the top of college wrestlers. He probably has some of the best wrestling in the division, but doesn't want to use it. It's crazy

You could see that his grappling was a level above Porieir. His defense and counters and his scramble back to his feet when Dustin got him down was effortless.

He values entertainment over winning, he should value both. Plenty of Pride fighters valued entertainment highly. Doesn't mean they would just stand there getting teed the fuck off on for 15 minutes straight if they had a choice in the matter. Guys a collegiate wrestler. He could go much further with his skills, durability, and gas tank if he used them properly.

Back