My ps3 keeps turning itself off and on.

BjPenn2017

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Newest slim you can get, had it for a few years now. Woke up and it was turning itself off and on this morning and won't stop. Anyone had this problem before, if so any solutions?

Take it out before it takes you out. This is how Skynet starts.

My old PS3 kept doing that...end is near my friend.

My old PS3 kept doing that...end is near my friend.

Yea I think the end has arrived. Lol don't wanna let it go yet cause it turns on and wants to function but then immediately turns off as if the power button is sticky. Then it will beep to a couple mins sporadically, then like 3 or 4 beeps consecutively. I get as far as about it asking me if I want to switch to hdmi.

My first gen fat ps3 is still chugging along with no issues!

Google playstation support to see how to do a Rebuild Database and Restore Filesystem and print it to keep handy. One is like a defrag. I think your PSN messages will get deleted in the process.

I think when your PS3 freezes and you have an abnormal power down, shit happens and these two procedures are supposed to help.

I plug mine into an uninterruptible power supply when in use.

Google playstation support to see how to do a Rebuild Database and Restore Filesystem and print it to keep handy. One is like a defrag. I think your PSN messages will get deleted in the process.

I think when your PS3 freezes and you have an abnormal power down, shit happens and these two procedures are supposed to help.

I plug mine into an uninterruptible power supply when in use.

Thanks bro! Only problem is, I have no control over my ps3 power. I can't turn it off or on, when I click the power button nothing happens. Also can't boot it into safe mode.

Thanks bro! Only problem is, I have no control over my ps3 power. I can't turn it off or on, when I click the power button nothing happens. Also can't boot it into safe mode.
Have you previously booted into safe mode? The process involves holding down the power button and letting go after a certain # of beeps and doing it again or something very specific.

Have you previously booted into safe mode? The process involves holding down the power button and letting go after a certain # of beeps and doing it again or something very specific.

Gonna look it up right now. My system finally turned on, dunno wtf that was all about but I'm gonna do the system rebuild or whatever immediately.

Gonna look it up right now. My system finally turned on, dunno wtf that was all about but I'm gonna do the system rebuild or whatever immediately.
Pay close attention to the exact two things. One of the choices in the list will reset your machine to factory default, which is not the one you want, I think.

The two I listed are safe but will wipe your PSN messages and reset your font preference.

You have to get down really close to it and whisper, "I'll do anything to make this right, anything at all. We're not as close as we used to be and I know you've wanted a disk inside of you for so long, let me put it in you..."

Then give it a kiss. A nice kiss.

That should resolve the issue.

How beefy is your computer? If you can't get your PS3 to work you could always look into emulation.

How beefy is your computer? If you can't get your PS3 to work you could always look into emulation.

I don't have one and I use my ps3 to play fight night champion online, really my main game. Don't think PC has many fighting games sadly which are my favorite games. :( or else I'd totally join the master race. Lol

Old Yeller is dead. RIP. Kinda had a feeling that's what it was, just did the database rebuild. Had it on for about 20 minutes before that before it turned off again. Just keeps turning itself off and on until I unplug it. Database rebuild did nothing. :(
One of those two things I suggested once froze on mine for a while. I called tech support who suggested forced power down via holding power button. Tried again and it worked without freezing or taking a long time.

Did you do Restore File System? Wouldn't hurt to try.

One of those two things I suggested once froze on mine for a while. I called tech support who suggested forced power down via holding power button. Tried again and it worked without freezing or taking a long time.

Did you do Restore File System? Wouldn't hurt to try.

I would but I fear my ps3 would shut down at some point during the process and make things worse. It's really weird can't find anything even remotely related to what my ps3 is doing online.

I would but I fear my ps3 would shut down at some point during the process and make things worse. It's really weird can't find anything even remotely related to what my ps3 is doing online.
You said it's dead, so how could it be worse? Think about it. Files get corrupt from abnormal shutdowns. Rebuild database and Restore File System are simple things to attempt. I ran those two several times after some online games crashed or froze. My PS3 works fine today. I got it on a vertical stand for better cooling.

I'll tell you what. I'm using a computer that broke twice and geniuses here said it's a lost cause. I fixed it each time. It's now running pretty reliably and I have parts on the way to upgrade some shit.

Is your power cable connected securely into the PS3 and outlet? Maybe the internal power supply got somehow jarred and not connected securely.

Back